2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've completed my first consolidated 1st rd draft list. 10 sources from April (5) and May (5) and I'll update as they do.  Sources NHL.com, Future Considerations, Sportsnet, SI/THN, TSN Button and McKenzie, the Draft Analyst, McKeens, Elite Prospects and Forbes at THW.

29 players appeared on 8 or more of the 10 rankings which is a surprisingly high number given the circumstances. 14 appeared on all 10.  Another 4 appeared on 5 or 6 ballots and there were 53 players who appeared at least once.

3 players received 1st place votes: Powers (6), Beniers (3), Hughes (1).

Powers and Beniers are 1 and 2 respectively

Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther and Edvinsson are the next group 3-7 with nearly identical rankings.

8-9 belong to Johnson and Wallstadt, followed by McTavish, Lucius, Sillinger and Lysell 10-13.  

Raty (14) is the last unanimous pick, but guys like Lambos, Svechkov, Ceulemans and Chibrikov (15-18) have similar ratings but aren't unanimous.  Svechkov maybe the most loved or unloved prospect on the board.  I can see a team loving him and drafting him early or see him falling like Kaliyev into the second. 

Coronato, Bolduc, Bourgault, Olausson, Pinelli and Cossa are 19-24.

L'Heureaux, Robertsson, Othmann, Rosen and Dean are 25-29 and round out the likely 1st rd picks.

The final group are Toumaala, Chayka, Stankoven and Samoskevich (30-33), although Samoskervich rankings are mostly from April and he could slip when the rankings are updated.

Love this work, god stuff. If we end up getting 8 from the Kings I’m really hoping it’s Kent Johnson, Nikita Chibrikov or Mason McTavish. At 33 I’d love Stankoven or Othmann.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:03 AM, steveoath said:

Anyone have any insights into the potential layer round steals of kids that maybe fall as they didn't play as much/at all. E.g.ohl 

The OHL is almost impossible to gauge right now. An entire year off is just unknown territory so OHL guys will certainly slide. I put a couple OHL guys who will probably slide to round 2 or later. Mason McTavish is going to get drafted where he should in the top 10 so he's not here. Also there are non OHL names to keep an eye on. 

Ayrton Martino

Scott Morrow

Owen Zellweger

Ville Koivunen

Brett Harrison

Chase Stillman

and maybe a guy like Avery Hayes

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've completed my first consolidated 1st rd draft list. 10 sources from April (5) and May (5) and I'll update as they do.  Sources NHL.com, Future Considerations, Sportsnet, SI/THN, TSN Button and McKenzie, the Draft Analyst, McKeens, Elite Prospects and Forbes at THW.

3 players received 1st place votes: Powers (6), Beniers (3), Hughes (1).

Powers and Beniers are 1 and 2 respectively

Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther and Edvinsson are the next group 3-7 with nearly identical rankings.

8-9 belong to Johnson and Wallstadt, followed by McTavish, Lucius, Sillinger and Lysell 10-13.  

I am shocked! Shocked that the 60-70% number I keep saying for Power is what you found in your research...

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/5/2021 at 5:03 AM, steveoath said:

Anyone have any insights into the potential layer round steals of kids that maybe fall as they didn't play as much/at all. E.g.ohl 

My research and sources indicate the best late-round steals will be the players picked one to fives picks after Buffalo’s late-round selections

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The OHL is almost impossible to gauge right now. An entire year off is just unknown territory so OHL guys will certainly slide. I put a couple OHL guys who will probably slide to round 2 or later. Mason McTavish is going to get drafted where he should in the top 10 so he's not here. Also there are non OHL names to keep an eye on. 

Ayrton Martino - He received 3 votes the highest being 20

Scott Morrow - One vote, but  at 18

Owen Zellweger - One vote

Ville Koivunen - Two votes

Brett Harrison - One vote

Chase Stillman

and maybe a guy like Avery Hayes

I am shocked! Shocked that the 60-70% number I keep saying for Power is what you found in your research...

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Martino is the OHL guy from the bottom of my list that stood out.  Morrow's vote was from the April rankings of SI's Kennedy.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Love this work, god stuff. If we end up getting 8 from the Kings I’m really hoping it’s Kent Johnson, Nikita Chibrikov or Mason McTavish. At 33 I’d love Stankoven or Othmann.

The thought that we could leave the 2nd round as the the proud drafters of Red Savage and Owen Stankoven pleases me to no end.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s My Birthday, What should I ask Kevyn for? 

Seth Jarvis, Marco Rossi

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You all are sleeping on rosen and Dach 

Dach is a late 2nd and Rosen will be gone before we draft again in the first. 

Hypothetically if Buffalo acquired pick 8, and we took Power 1st Overall how would you use it?

If there was a run on forwards would you take Hughes at 8 even after drafting Power?

Ideally there’s a run on Dmen and Detroit takes the goalie leaving us with 1/3 of the top forwards still around such as Johnson, Guenther, or Eklund

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Hypothetically if Buffalo acquired pick 8, and we took Power 1st Overall how would you use it?

If there was a run on forwards would you take Hughes at 8 even after drafting Power?

Ideally there’s a run on Dmen and Detroit takes the goalie leaving us with 1/3 of the top forwards still around such as Johnson, Guenther, or Eklund

Personally, I would hope that one of Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Clarke is still available and take that guy.  If more than one is available, I would probably prioritize forwards.

Edited by Curt

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Personally, I would hope that one of Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, Hughes, Clarke is still available and take that guy.  If more than one is available, I would probably prioritize forwards.

Hughes- if the Sabres took two LHD with top 8 picks this board would literally implode into itself!!  I think in this hypothetical scenario that Eklund and Guenther would be the two most likely guys available at 8 but Imwould also throw McTavish in there as a wildcard.

Edited by Flashsabre

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hughes- if the Sabres took two LHD with top 8 picks this board would literally implode into itself!!  I think in this hypothetical scenario that Eklund and Guenther would be the two most likely guys available at 8 but Imwould also throw McTavish in there as a wildcard.

Agree on Hughes.  LD prospects would be a bit ridiculous, but that’s the tier of players.  I would have Johnson/McTavish in the next tier.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

You take the best player available but you also hope the BPA is Clarke and not Hughes if you’re forced into another defenseman (RHD). Ideally and likely it’s a forward.

I’d hope for Kent Johnson, Mason McTavish or Nikita Chibrikov. This, assuming guys like Eklund and Guenther are already off the board.

Edited by Hoss

On 6/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, thewookie1 said:

Taking a dman first and then another in the top 10 would be absurd 

On 6/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, Hoss said:

You take the best player available but you also hope the BPA is Clarke and not Hughes if you’re forced into another defenseman (RHD). Ideally and likely it’s a forward.

I’d hope for Kent Johnson, Mason McTavish or Nikita Chibrikov. This, assuming guys like Eklund and Guenther are already off the board.

Hughes is better then power you can take that to the bank 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.