2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FIFY 

I’d like to hear you expand on this.

Any D man?

Any D man this year?

Because the Sabres are good at D and weak at forward?

Because Beniers is clearly best player available?

All of the above?

Just picked up the Hockey News Draft Preview.

Power tops the charts, Beniers is 5th.

Eklund is 4th, Guenther 3rd, and the surprise for me was Edvinsson at 2, who's been an afterthought on here and seems to be the whipping boy of the internet experts.

His tools seem excellent, so I'm going to guess his analytics suck?

What's the book on him?

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Eklund is 4th, Guenther 3rd, and the surprise for me was Edvinsson at 2, who's been an afterthought on here and seems to be the whipping boy of the internet experts.

His tools seems excellent, so I'm going to guess his analytics suck?

What's the book on him?

I haven’t done a deep dive on Edvinsson in a few weeks but I remember there being more than occasional boneheaded plays from him. Just seems to not have a high hockey IQ.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

His tools seems excellent, so I'm going to guess his analytics suck?

What's the book on him?

Edvinsson has all the tools in his toolbox but he doesn't pull out the correct tool for the job he needs more often then I would be comfortable with. My issue is that the production isn't there and really all anyone talks about is he is a good skater and big which they then say means he is just raw and needs refinement. He isn't raw, he just isn't that great at the little things needed to be successful. I personally think he will bust after a couple years in the NHL or will be a 3rd pairing type of guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Edvinsson has all the tools in his toolbox but he doesn't pull out the correct tool for the job he needs more often then I would be comfortable with. My issue is that the production isn't there and really all anyone talks about is he is a good skater and big which they then say means he is just raw and needs refinement. He isn't raw, he just isn't that great at the little things needed to be successful. I personally think he will bust after a couple years in the NHL or will be a 3rd pairing type of guy. 

I see him similar to Power but Power has a high hockey IQ while Edvinsson’s is in question.

Edited by Flashsabre

I personally think we are witnessing a scouting over-correcting. In the past it was if you are big and play defense you are good. Now it is if you are big and can skate you must be good. I have issues with both especially since Edvinsson isn't that good. 

This guy works for McKeen's and released his personal rankings. These rankings were released today which is after the Worlds in case Hoss wants to yell about that again. 

If you look at them on twitter he also has a thread explaining 1-10 including why Power is where he is and what he thinks of Beniers.

Edited by LGR4GM

Eklund looks pretty good and might even be my preference if we had decided to retain Jack. He probably ends up at LW and that skill in that position is def something that could have fit right in

Eklund - Eichel - Reinhart

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn 

could be spicy in a year or two 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This guy works for McKeen's and released his personal rankings. These rankings were released today which is after the Worlds in case Hoss wants to yell about that again. 

If you look at them on twitter he also has a thread explaining 1-10 including why Power is where he is and what he thinks of Beniers.

Power has flaws but could be best player in the draft. Wallstadt the best goalie prospect he has ever seen. Lysell 3rd, “he is bae”. This guy sounds 12. LOL I was waiting to read, “I have Clarke 5th because he has a dope playlist on his Instagram account Brah!!”

There are no real tiers in the top ten so you could switch the names around as you want and no one can argue in 5 years you would be wrong. The player at 10 could be the best player chosen this year.  I agree Power has flaws, he needs a couple years to improve those. Eklund is very underexposed this year, we didn’t get to see him in any tournaments.  He might be the best player but 5’10 wingers don’t usually go 1OA without Kane skill.It is a funny year though so who knows.

Edited by Flashsabre

Can't help thinking this draft is reminiscent of the '87 draft.  There were several players that would've gone way higher in that draft had the scouting been better & the Sabres had the 1st overall.  

But like this year's drafts expectations, that draft had several D go in the top 10.  A goalie even ended up in the top 10.  The best player of that draft dropped all the way to 15.  The Sabres ended up with a good player in Turgeon but missed out on both Shanahan & Sakic.  LeClair & Desjardins dropped to the mid-2nd.  (Montreal had a great draft that year, they also got Cassels in the 1st (meh) and Schneider in the 3rd.)  Little Theo Fluery slid all the way to 166.

The reasons for the scouting deficiencies were different, but just expect the results for the Sabres to be similar & a lot of guys who end up becoming stars to get picked in the 2nd & beyond by squads not dressed in royal blue & gold.  This 1 is shaping up to be a crapshoot.  And the Sabres, w/ the control of the table will likely roll snake eyes again.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power at seven where he belongs only person missing is Beniers at six 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Power has flaws but could be best player in the draft. Wallstadt the best goalie prospect he has ever seen. Lysell 3rd, “he is bae”. This guy sounds 12. LOL I was waiting to read, “I have Clarke 5th because he has a dope playlist on his Instagram account Brah!!”

There are no real tiers in the top ten so you could switch the names around as you want and no one can argue in 5 years you would be wrong. The player at 10 could be the best player chosen this year.  I agree Power has flaws, he needs a couple years to improve those. Eklund is very underexposed this year, we didn’t get to see him in any tournaments.  He might be the best player but 5’10 wingers don’t usually go 1OA without Kane skill.It is a funny year though so who knows.

Eklund probably played as long and difficult a season as anyone.  He played 40 games in a pro league that is at least on par with the AHL.  He wasn’t underexposed, he was just in Sweden.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

Eklund probably played as long and difficult a season as anyone.  He played 40 games in a pro league that is at least on par with the AHL.  He wasn’t underexposed, he was just in Sweden.

Not under exposed for scouts but for fans as not many people over here saw him.  If he played in the WJCs or WCs then more fans over here would have a better read on him.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is the narrative that you never take a goalie in round one officially dead? 

It should be. Just like running backs. There are always reasons to break these made up rules and they’re proven wrong time and time again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.