2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What about page 53 and 54 were ppl thinking? Sorry it is a little hard to follow. 

I responded before finishing the thread and echoed a sentiment it looks like a lot of people already echoed 

apologies to @#freejame

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If we do end up with additional 1st round picks because of a trade(s), I'd be looking at Wallstedt and Cossa for sure. Draft a goalie every other year to keep that pipeline stocked (we're due to pick one this year).

Agree.  Maybe not in the 1st, but I think they should at least take one in the 2-3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Sorry, 

that older siblings always pump the tires of their younger kin and we can't really glean anything from it on it's own 

True see Keith Gretzky, Wayne Primeau, Marcus Foligno, Alex Nylander and those are just some of the lesser brothers the Sabres drafted I can think off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

True see Keith Gretzky, Wayne Primeau, Marcus Foligno, Alex Nylander and those are just some of the lesser brothers the Sabres drafted I can think off the top of my head.

I would still like to have Marcus Foligno on our team.  I don't necessarily think he is the lesser one in his family.

I just want to say, because I got a dozen notifications about me previous post on this topic, that I prefaced it with "it is likely nonsense." I like Hughes regardless if his brothers were an opthamologist and zoologist. I don't place weight in terms of scouting or potential on what a brother, father, mother, cousin, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grandpa or grandma has to say about a prospect. But when one of my favorite prospects has a top-5 defenseman in the family and an up-and-coming #1 overall center in it, it adds to the excitement level of said prospect. Would Quinn Hughes saying Luke Hughes is going to be the next Bobby Orr bump him up my list? No. But would it make me a little more excited if we drafted him? Sure, why the hell not. Just like when Conor Bedard's trainer says he's lightyears ahead of McDavid. Does that make me value Bedard more in terms of scouting? No, that's what my eyes are for. Does it create more excitement about drafting him when the people who know him best pay the highest compliments to him? Of course. I thought I had made that clear, but considering the conversation is still on-going i guess now. 

Who are the favorites for the 32nd pick? will be important for them to get his one right too.

I was impressed by Chase Stillman at the u18s but looking at his rankings, he may be a late 2nd or 3rd rounder

Throwback type of player...Showed offensive flashes last year...not afraid to play physical and fight...Became much better defensively...Added 20 pounds of muscle during pandemic.” - Mark Seidel

Edited by Crusader1969

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Won’t quote more of the article because it’s paid content but this is a subtweet at a few posters:

"It's been very frustrating, a lot of people talk about his size," Hardy said. "I think a good thing has happened in scouting over the last decade or so, where people are no longer saying 'OK that guy is big, he has potential, we'll take him.' People question it now, because a lot of these big guys are busts.

"So he's probably been unfairly labeled by some people in that way. But his hockey sense, his desire to compete, and skill level is really incredible for being that young and that big."

I've completed my first consolidated 1st rd draft list. 10 sources from April (5) and May (5) and I'll update as they do.  Sources NHL.com, Future Considerations, Sportsnet, SI/THN, TSN Button and McKenzie, the Draft Analyst, McKeens, Elite Prospects and Forbes at THW.

29 players appeared on 8 or more of the 10 rankings which is a surprisingly high number given the circumstances. 14 appeared on all 10.  Another 4 appeared on 5 or 6 ballots and there were 53 players who appeared at least once.

3 players received 1st place votes: Powers (6), Beniers (3), Hughes (1).

Powers and Beniers are 1 and 2 respectively

Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther and Edvinsson are the next group 3-7 with nearly identical rankings.

8-9 belong to Johnson and Wallstadt, followed by McTavish, Lucius, Sillinger and Lysell 10-13.  

Raty (14) is the last unanimous pick, but guys like Lambos, Svechkov, Ceulemans and Chibrikov (15-18) have similar ratings but aren't unanimous.  Svechkov maybe the most loved or unloved prospect on the board.  I can see a team loving him and drafting him early or see him falling like Kaliyev into the second. 

Coronato, Bolduc, Bourgault, Olausson, Pinelli and Cossa are 19-24.

L'Heureaux, Robertsson, Othmann, Rosen and Dean are 25-29 and round out the likely 1st rd picks.

The final group are Toumaala, Chayka, Stankoven and Samoskevich (30-33), although Samoskervich rankings are mostly from April and he could slip when the rankings are updated.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 4

One player that interests me is Redmond Savage.  He is Brian's younger son and will play for Miami (OH) next season, but there is a tenacity about his game I really like and he is already an ice Pker.  My guess is he goes mid 2nd rd but I would like to see KA move up to grab him from Bos's pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.