So #8

spndnchz

1.  Rossi

2.  Trade

3.  Trade

4.  Trade

5.  Trade

I think I'm done with the Russian goalie.  The team needs players who can play right now, or, at the very least, can play in Rochester now and in the NHL in 2021-22.  Time marches on.  There are six seasons left on Jack's deal, and I want to see him win a Cup and win it here.  If the Sabres don't become actual contenders within two seasons, that's unlikely to happen.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

1.  Rossi

2.  Trade

3.  Trade

4.  Trade

5.  Trade

I think I'm done with the Russian goalie.  The team needs players who can play right now, or, at the very least, can play in Rochester now and in the NHL in 2021-22.  Time marches on.  There are six seasons left on Jack's deal, and I want to see him win a Cup and win it here.  If the Sabres don't become actual contenders within two seasons, that's unlikely to happen.

Agreed. This ineptitude has gone on too long. We’ve watched other teams turn it around in 2,3,4 years and compete. The fanbase isn’t asking for much. Get it together TP.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

1. Rossi

2. Drysdale (his scouting report says he never tires which could give us a damn good 1-2 punch with Dahlin and Drysdale)

3. Perfetti

4. Sanderson

5. Raymond (his skating worries me)

What about Raymond’s skating worries you?  It’s pretty great.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

I don't think about nuthin but the monkey man.

Sometimes I think of tweeter...

9 hours ago, steveoath said:

So, whats everyone's top 5 realistic picks for #8. 

For me:

1 Rossi

2 Lundell

3 Perfetti 

4 Raymond

5 Jarvis 

This looks pretty close to mine, just not sure where to have Perfetti. Top 2 definitely the same. 

Agree with everyone saying to trade the pick. 

Edited by Thorny

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Perfetti won't be there. 

Rossi

Jarvis

Raymond

Lundell

I'll be sixty by the time the team contends if they take several of those guys.  Jack will be out of contract.  Come on, my man.  Do you WANT to be traded to Winnipeg?

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'll be sixty by the time the team contends if they take several of those guys.  Jack will be out of contract.  Come on, my man.  Do you WANT to be traded to Winnipeg?

At least they/we have a top 5 gm, across all sports, and all lines of work. 

Edited by Thorny

I have 3 targets at #8.

1. If by some miracle Rossi drops to us then he's my first choice.

2. Seth Jarvis

3. Yaroslav Askarov

I do not want either of the Swedes and we don't need defensemen. Jarvis may be the best skater is this draft class, he's got a motor like Marner and I personally think one of the highest ceilings in the Top 10. And then there's Askarov. Big, agile right-hand catch trendy. These type of goalies don't come around often and he looks like the next Vasilesky. He also has the potential to help out this team in as close as one year, he's that good. I just don't see how we could pass on a world class goalie like him when he's exactly what this team needs. People say he might be a reach at 8 but unless Rossi falls I just don't know if anybody else on the board could have as big an impact on our team as he would

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I still think they should trade the pick for some immediate top 6 help.

E. S. was a good pickup, but NS needs more real players.

I have stated before that I am open to trading the pick although I now believe that it will more likely be kept. If that is the case there will still be opportunities to rebuild the second line without giving up much. A good example of that is trade Johansson for Staal. He isn't a long-term fix but it was a good move to address the 2C position, and it saved some precious cap money. It shouldn't be surprising that a player like Marchessault and other second line players could be available with reasonable deals. We have an excess of player/s on the blue line that can be dealt for forward help that will better balance the roster. 

One of the primary factors that will influence the decision whether to trade the pick or not is the current Covid economic landscape. The dramatic shrinkage in revenue will favor keeping the pick because it is a cheaper asset that will gain value while this oppressive economic landscape runs its course. It could take another two years before the market place returns to a more normal/sustainable revenue stream.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lundell has creeped up a bit in my mind because of this article. His Finnish national coach has seen the last few crops of young stars and he loves Lundell. I could be talked into taking him before Holtz because of position and all around game. Provided Rossi is gone.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-interest-anton-lundells-quiet-consistency-hidden-2020-gem/

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Lundell has creeped up a bit in my mind because of this article. His Finnish national coach has seen the last few crops of young stars and he loves Lundell. I could be talked into taking him before Holtz because of position and all around game. Provided Rossi is gone.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-interest-anton-lundells-quiet-consistency-hidden-2020-gem/

What is apparent that even if our preferred option A, B or even C player is not on the board when our turn comes up to go to the podium we will come away with a good player. After reading the link what struck me is the similarity of profile between Lundell and Jokiharju. Certainly, not from a position standpoint but from the standpoint of how smart and efficient they are and how they enhance the rest of the unit on the ice. From an eyeball view neither player is dazzling but from a cerebral and no frills style of play each is very effective i.e. substance over style.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is apparent that even if our preferred option A, B or even C player is not on the board when our turn comes up to go to the podium we will come away with a good player. After reading the link what struck me is the similarity of profile between Lundell and Jokiharju. Certainly, not from a position standpoint but from the standpoint of how smart and efficient they are and how they enhance the rest of the unit on the ice. From an eyeball view neither player is dazzling but from a cerebral and no frills style of play each is very effective i.e. substance over style.  

Lundell is a solid pick, but he's like a Toyota Camry. Hoping Rossi falls.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If Rossi or Perfetti or other higher rated players were off the board then you go to your next rated player on your board. If your option is between sitting next to a farting slob on the packed bus or a riding solo in a Toyota Corolla I'll take the vehicle with the better gas mileage and the air refresher on the front mirror. 🤡

35 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Lundell is a v6 Camry with a tune-up.  Uninspiring at first glance but with a surprising amount of flash under the surface.

Not gonna compete with the Corvettes of this draft on pure ability, but he'll hold his own more than people think.

I still like Rossi more, just wanted to toy with the analogy.

Edited by Shootica
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Lundell is gonna be SO good. I really really hope we have a chance to draft him if Rossi is gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

These are my tiers, based on personal preference.

Rossi / Lundell

Raymond

Sanderson 

Jarvis / Quinn / Holtz

I think I move Sanderson into the lower tier, after Jarvis I guess (but I don't really want to draft a D man), but aside from that this matches perfectly with my preference actually. 

11 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Personally I think i'd rather trade the pick for a top 6 RW or top 4 LD or top 2 RD. We need to win this season to keep Eichel around.

I'm as much of a "trade it" guy as anyone, but Rossi, specifically as an addition to our current set-up, is undeniably very intruiging. It keeps me off the trade it full stop bandwagon. Lundell too, to an extent. 

To me, Rossi represents such a high-floor prospect at the most important position, similar to Cozens, that I can't help but think, if he's our pick, that having *the* best centre-ice spine in the league down the line is a distinct possibility. The stories the numbers are telling on Cozens as a prospect continue to not only glow but glow brighter, and Rossi could be the best centreman in this draft. 

If we couldn't turn a 1 Eichel 2 Cozens 3 Rossi centre spine into something quite special I'd be looking for a curse-breaker. The Eichel concerns are absolutely paramount for us, but another added benefit that's been mentioned a lot already, should we be lucky enough to get Rossi, is that he isn't a project. Have to believe Cozens and Rossi will both be contributing to our Eichel-led roster by the 21-22 season, at the latest. 

It's at least 50/50 they'd both be playing, this coming season. Cozens is likely ready to play and I've been told Rossi has a good shot at it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Better yet, speed things up for Jack. Package our first next year and move back into the first this year and grab Lundell. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Rossi/Cozens - Cozens/Rossi

Kahun - Lundell - Thompson/UFA/Prospect pan-out

That's a Unit.

Maybe had for merely some luck w/Rossi falling and the willingness to be aggressive and convert our first next year to something this year. It may actually be feasible to have a true top 6 C in the bottom 6 (like Lundell, potentially, in this equation) considering the relatively cheap years that quantity of young players would provide, should they pan out, before they are due their big raises. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is this mythical player you are trading #8 for?  

Is the point of this post to stimulate discussion by asking, in legitimacy, or does the use of the word "mythical" imply, as I take it, that the possibility doesn't even deserve discussion? Why, because teams haven't come out and stated on record that so and so players are available for the Sabres' 8th?

You'd think these "but who is even available?!" arguments would have died out after we saw it framed countlessly in defense of Botterill not acquring a 2C, after we saw what JT Miller did, how quickly Adams acquired a C better than any Botts brought in, in 3 years..etc.

Teams don't use offer sheets, they don't trade high draft picks, they don't trade back into the first...not because those things can't be done, or can't be argued legitimately for, but because GM's rarely attempt to break the established mold. 

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is this mythical player you are trading #8 for?  

A player at the level of Tampa's Cirelli. Just citing this player as the caliber of player worth our pick. There are a variety of options when considering a deal. One way to do it is to get a genuine second line player and exchange first round draft positions to make the deal more equitable. It's probable that the Sabres will keep their pick. But it is not inconceivable that the pick could be dealt in a package type of deal.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.