COVID-19

Indabuff

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh seems like Omicron panic , to be honest we are two years into this thing and no politician raised the real issue in the western world so far.

Just a failing healthcare system due to lack of government support.

Edit: and I say Omicron panic because out of all the reports so far, this might not be more than a common cold by now.

It’s still a SARS virus and it is still putting people in hospitals. It’s far from a common cold. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s still a SARS virus and it is still putting people in hospitals. It’s far from a common cold. 

Anyone who underrates the severity of this virus is not facing the reality of the situation. My nephew and his wife refused to get vaccinated. She got covid and is on life-support. She is going to die. No one in the family is allowed to visit her in the hospital. She is going to die with no family member by her bedside. My nephew ended up in the hospital with covid. He told me he thought he was going to die. He is now home and slowly recovering. The other members of his family, two sons and daughter, also got infected. 

I just spoke with my nephew who is in Arizona. He has already belatedly scheduled himself and the rest of his family members to get vaccinated when it is the appropriate time. I had repeatedly told him prior to his infection that he needed to get the shots. He was a life-long weight-lifter who could lift more than 300 lbs, and was very fit. He told me that if he got infected he could handle it. He now knows that he was wrong; his life has been tragically altered. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Anyone who underrates the severity of this virus is not facing the reality of the situation. My nephew and his wife refused to get vaccinated. She got covid and is on life-support. She is going to die. No one in the family is allowed to visit her in the hospital. She is going to die with no family member by her bedside. My nephew ended up in the hospital with covid. He told me he thought he was going to die. He is now home and slowly recovering. The other members of his family, two sons and daughter, also got infected. 

I just spoke with my nephew who is in Arizona. He has already belatedly scheduled himself and the rest of his family members to get vaccinated when it is the appropriate time. I had repeatedly told him prior to his infection that he needed to get the shots. He was a life-long weight-lifter who could lift more than 300 lbs, and was very fit. He told me that if he got infected he could handle it. He now knows that he was wrong; his life has been tragically altered. 

I wish all of your family members well, John. 

Equating a SARS virus with the common cold is the definition of underrating. It’s a SARS virus for crissakes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I lost my Dad a year ago last month to Covid.  I really wish he had the chance to get the vaccine.  😢

Condolences to both of you & your families.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh seems like Omicron panic , to be honest we are two years into this thing and no politician raised the real issue in the western world so far.

Just a failing healthcare system due to lack of government support.

Edit: and I say Omicron panic because out of all the reports so far, this might not be more than a common cold by now.

• Thanks (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thank you for the data. For most normal people, when the evidence is so overwhelming it is a decisive factor in influencing how they respond. What is frightening is that there is a sizeable faction that when facts and evidence are presented it still cannot penetrate their illusionary world. I don't wish anyone ill-will. Even those who are congenitally obtuse. However, my bucket of empathy for those who can't be reasoned with is nearly empty. My problem with them is not what they do to themselves but that they endanger others who act responsibly. They are a menace to society. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you know if that data includes all cases from when they first started recording covid cases? 

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thank you for the data. For most normal people, when the evidence is so overwhelming it is a decisive factor in influencing how they respond. What is frightening is that there is a sizeable faction that when facts and evidence are presented it still cannot penetrate their illusionary world. I don't wish anyone ill-will. Even those who are congenitally obtuse. However, my bucket of empathy for those who can't be reasoned with is nearly empty. My problem with them is not what they do to themselves but that they endanger others who act responsibly. They are a menace to society. 

You come across very poorly in this post. To me. YMMV. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yeah I don't trust those figures, those boosted and vaccinated deaths usually had other health issues, people can be battling other things for years, but when they also get covid , its not the other thing that killed them its covid.   Nice way to prop up statistics.   Buddy of mine is an admin in a hospital, basically said main cause of death is always covid.    Also gets more funding when reported as covid death.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Do you know if that data includes all cases from when they first started recording covid cases? 

You come across very poorly in this post. To me. YMMV. 

Unclear without looking at the cdc page it's pulled from. Might be a 7 day rolling average. 

Edited by LGR4GM

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I don't trust those figures, those boosted and vaccinated deaths usually had other health issues, people can be battling other things for years, but when they also get covid , its not the other thing that killed them its covid.   Nice way to prop up statistics.   Buddy of mine is an admin in a hospital, basically said main cause of death is always covid.    Also gets more funding when reported as covid death.

People need to stop saying this like it’s truth. There was a one time payout in the Cares act in the summer of 2020.

If someone is battling something for years, and doesn’t die from it, then gets Covid and dies from it, they died from Covid. JFC.

I lost both my sister and father during Covid. In neither case does it say that Covid was the cause “to inflate the numbers and get more money.” I’m so ***** sick of hearing this.

And now my 81 YO mother is really sick with Covid and she’ll now be alone for Christmas and I’m scared shitless.

Until morons start taking it seriously, it’s just going to keep going.

COVID hit my sisters family pretty hard just in time for Christmas.  Her son started getting symptoms on the 22nf and tested positive on the 23rd.  Her youngest daughter started symptoms on Christmas morning and tested positive yesterday.

My sister had COVID during the Thanksgiving holiday so she was very excited to see family on Christmas since they missed out Thanksgiving.  She was extremely disappointed to have fate intervene for Christmas.

Everyone was fully vaccinated and boosted and symptoms have been relatively mild.  

• 2 weeks later...

When your Prime Minister calls the unvaccinated *probably misogynists and racists* and has his Minister of Health, who is not a MD (as far as I know), but an elected MP and friend of the PM (all cabinet ministers are) tells the Premiers of the Provinces they should mandate vaccination for all their citizens or risk cuts to Federal health care funding transfers ...

It really is time to question your democracy.

Not surprisingly every Provincial Premier has said that they will never do it.  Fortunately, the Premiers know more about the Constitution of Canada than the jackass Federal Minister of Health, or the jackass Prime Minister.  

Canadians get what they deserve for not getting rid of this guy when we had the chance.  Fortunately, he does not have a majority in Parliament or the Dictatorship would be complete.  

It really is too bad that the other options are terrible too.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
more goodly ...

On 1/9/2022 at 10:28 AM, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

When your Prime Minister calls the unvaccinated *probably misogynists and racists* and has his Minister of Health, who is not a MD (as far as I know), but an elected MP and friend of the PM (all cabinet ministers are) tells the Premiers of the Provinces they should mandate vaccination for all their citizens or risk cuts to Federal health care funding transfers ...

It really is time to question your democracy.

Not surprisingly every Provincial Premier has said that they will never do it.  Fortunately, the Premiers know more about the Constitution of Canada than the jackass Federal Minister of Health, or the jackass Prime Minister.  

Canadians get what they deserve for not getting rid of this guy when we had the chance.  Fortunately, he does not have a majority in Parliament or the Dictatorship would be complete.  

It really is too bad that the other options are terrible too.

Canadians can vote them all out next time. The time to question your democracy is when elected officials actively engage in efforts to deny citizens their right to participate in it. I don't think Canada is there yet.

Us on the other hand...

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

Canadians can vote them all out next time. The time to question your democracy is when elected officials actively engage in efforts to deny citizens their right to participate in it. I don't think Canada is there yet.

Us on the other hand...

We had our chance last summer and blew it.  Mostly because the other guy is just terrible.  I did not vote for Trudeau last time, or anytime.  If I had the chance to vote today I would go against everything that I believe in and vote Conservative.

Our elected officials are doing some things behind the scenes.  Certainly nothing like in the US.  It's an *independent* body that draws election riding boundries based *strictly* on population.

Trudeau does not really have to do anything very blatant.  Voters in Canada a apathetic at best.  Millions don't bother to vote.  Countless others vote as their parents did and their parents before them.  The two main parties are basically exactly the same and have shared power between them forever.  Just as in the US the real power is in the hands of a few non-politicians.  The country is run by the big banks and the Bank of Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully support our truckers and their convoy of freedom.

Trudeau has made a big mistake calling them a fringe minority.  Most people that I know, vaccinated and unvaccinated, fully support them.

This issue us not about pro vs anti vaccine.  It is only about mandates and the freedom to choose.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I fully support our truckers and their convoy of freedom.

Trudeau has made a big mistake calling them a fringe minority.  Most people that I know, vaccinated and unvaccinated, fully support them.

This issue us not about pro vs anti vaccine.  It is only about mandates and the freedom to choose.

If you wait long enough, the costume always slips away...

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/28/freedom-convoy-leader-shared-symbol-of-far-right-hate-group-on-tiktok.html

https://www.salon.com/2022/01/29/canadas-freedom-convoy-is-this-jan-6-for-the-great-north/

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-695001

13 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

There will always be a fringe out there element that will try to take over anything, because of their agenda.

In the end, as far as I know, nothing really happened.

The Toronto Star is a left leaning publicasion, so it is not a big surprise that they would try to find something.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

There will always be a fringe out there element that will try to take over anything, because of their agenda.

In the end, as far as I know, nothing really happened.

The Toronto Star is a left leaning publicasion, so it is not a big surprise that they would try to find something.

Is the bigger surprise that they tried to find something or that something was found? 

Do “right leaning” publications have the same kind of obligation to their consumers?