Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is Stastny worth *daydreaming* about? He'd be a nice add, but I need convincing. 

probably not.   Not b/c he wouldn't fill a gaping hole.....but

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-salary-cap-issues-not-as-bad-as-they-appear-1693781/

Vegas is trying to work under the cap by shedding Clarkson's Cap hit & trading Colin Miller.  I think they are still in 'win now' mode and would not risk trading Stastny. 

4 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-salary-cap-issues-not-as-bad-as-they-appear-1693781/

Vegas is trying to work under the cap by shedding Clarkson's Cap hit & trading Colin Miller.  I think they are still in 'win now' mode and would not risk trading Stastny. 

Colin Miller is Interesting.

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

How much longer is Clarkson's cap hit ? I guess they could send us a 1st rounder along with Miller ?

Toronto just set the price on trading bad deals.

12 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is Stastny worth *daydreaming* about? He'd be a nice add, but I need convincing. 

He very much is. For what we need, what he'd cost in assets and what he'd cost in dollars I legitimately don't think there's a better candidate AVAILABLE.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

How much longer is Clarkson's cap hit ? I guess they could send us a 1st rounder along with Miller ?

Toronto just set the price on trading bad deals.

One more year at $5.25M.  Miller has 3 more years at $3.875.  I agree on your comments regarding Toronto setting the price.   I bet George had sticker shock when he was shopping.  And to your point, now that the price has been sent, can it go lower?  They went ahead and singed Karlsson, so they are a full $7.5M over the Cap.  So they need to lose both Miller and this $5.25M to get below and sign their RFA goalie (maybe $800k).     Would you do that deal (Miller + 1st) to take on the Clarkson contract?  Or would you rather spend it on UFA's.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Other then Cousins, what future wouldn’t you trade to be good now? We are in year  2 of Jack Rasmus, the time to win is now 2021.

Fixed this for you.   The sooner we realize the timeline of our true generational player the sooner we all can sleep at night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Fixed this for you.   The sooner we realize the timeline of our true generational player the sooner we all can sleep at night.

I don’t necessarily disagree on how you might classify Jack but it doesn’t change the timeline for me. The window is still Jack’s prime years. He doesn’t have to be “generational” in your mind to change that window.  The time to start winning is now, next year at the absolute latest.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Cousins and Hartman are very interesting.  I'd love to add them on smaller deals.  Low cost depth!

I wanted Hartman for a while but these two guys look like dudes who everyone just thought had high floors with some upside for a while then never even reached the floor.

For those wanting Miller from LV, I'll give you one stat that to me says thanks but no thanks.  He is one of the most protected D in the NHL.  His O zone starts were 61% last season and almost 63% for his career.  Our defense needs another offensive oriented and D zone disaster like a whole in the head.  Hard pass.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For those wanting Miller from LV, I'll give you one stat that to me says thanks but no thanks.  He is one of the most protected D in the NHL.  His O zone starts were 61% last season and almost 63% for his career.  Our defense needs another offensive oriented and D zone disaster like a whole in the head.  Hard pass.

The thing is, there's nothing to indicate that he's bad in his own end. His Corsi numbers are solid and he breaks the puck out well. He's not good at defending zone entries, but the puck doesn't seem to end up in his net much when he's on the ice, so maybe it doesn't matter for him.

For the price he'd be a good 4-5 d man. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

The thing is, there's nothing to indicate that he's bad in his own end. His Corsi numbers are solid and he breaks the puck out well. He's not good at defending zone entries, but the puck doesn't seem to end up in his net much when he's on the ice, so maybe it doesn't matter for him.

For the price he'd be a good 4-5 d man. 

Maybe he doesn't get scored on because LV is a good possession team and he start 60+ of the time in the Ozone.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who thinks he is a D zone disaster?  You just pulling that out of thin air? 

It’s not as if he is barely keeping his head above water despite favorable zone starts.  He is excelling.  You are taking one piece of information, elevating it above all others, and passing it off as proof of something that it isn’t actually proof of.

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because he wasn’t good defensively.   Former Sabres McNabb and 37 year old Engellland outplayed him. 

After researching a bit, scouting reports do hint that his defensive play is not great, but nothing approaching train wreck level.  However, I think he could still have an overall positive impact of on team defense because he actually keeps the puck from going into the defensive zone in the first place.  That's one of the things that a player can do to help the team defense.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:33 AM, Brawndo said:

Another low cost target might be Derek Ryan. Back to Back 38 point Seasons. Two years left at 3.125 Million with Calgary. They have a Cap Crunch themselves.

He doesn’t drive offense, but has very respectable defensive metrics.  Sam could drive the offense on that line. 

Mikael Granlund with his 5.75 AAV for one year with Nashville as well. 

Neither is perfect, but cap hit and term might be enticing 

Am I the only one that read the bolded as Derek Roy and shuddered?

That's it!!  I am taking by lovely brides advice and making an appointment with my eye doctor.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

After researching a bit, scouting reports do hint that his defensive play is not great, but nothing approaching train wreck level.  However, I think he could still have an overall positive impact of on team defense because he actually keeps the puck from going into the defensive zone in the first place.  That's one of the things that a player can do to help the team defense.

Thank you.  The other problem with him is that 50% of his points comes from the PP and we really don’t need someone for the PP with Dahlin, Montour and Risto.

I will say this, if we trade Risto and need a cheaper replacement Miller would be on my list but only for 3rd line duty.

Vegas fan on Miller: 

Miller is 26 at 3.875 million for 3 years.

Advanced stats and shot suppression numbers list Miller as the best Vegas defenseman defensively but that isn't the case. He is often given third pair duties here but to his credit he is almost always paired with Holden or Merrill who are both inconsistent defensively and required someone to watch them.

So he had those good numbers while playing on the third pair but with defenseman who had their share of blunders.

He is capable of a top 4 role but it is up to his effort. He was benched game 1, we sucked and lost. Gallant made comments that it was up to Miller to put in the effort to be the player he is capable of.

He came back and seemed to get the message for games 2-7 and was our second best defenseman after Theodore in the playoffs (better than Schmidt was in the series.)

I think I would absolutely feel comfortable with him as Schmidt's defensive pairing in our top 4 if cap issues weren't something the team was trying to mend.

The PP points don't really bother me.  Only 37% of his career points have come on the PP, not 50%.  He has produced pretty decently at ES the past couple years.  The fact that he probably wouldn't get a lot of PP time in Buffalo is fine because he isn't getting paid like a guy who you are counting on for 40+ points.

I also would be looking at him mostly in the case event that Risto is traded.  I think he could fill a 2nd/3rd pair role well.  If Risto stays, I don't think Buffalo needs to be adding a RD with Montour, Risto, Bogo, Nelson and Borgen already here.  It wouldn't be a priority.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.