Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

This was in Matt Larkins Article Yesterday about Duchene Potential Landing Spots. Not sure if its posted elsewhere.  

This really does not make sense.

BUFFALO SABRES

The Sabres really could’ve used Hayes or Brock Nelson. The trade-hindsight game feels unfair, especially as no one could’ve predicted what happened to Patrik Berglund, but the Sabres badly missed Ryan O’Reilly after dealing him last summer. They bet too big on a Casey Mittelstadt breakout but, with no center on the roster capable of handling the tough matchups, there wasn’t enough insulation, and Mittelstadt disappointed. It’s imperative for GM Jason Botterill to bring in some veteran support. While Duchene isn’t a Selke-Trophy type, his experience and skill alone would improve Buffalo’s lineup and take some pressure off Mittelstadt and cornerstone star Jack Eichel. Even after re-signing Jeff Skinner and despite the NHL revealing the cap to be $1.5 million lower than expected, the Sabres still have $18.92 million available with no bank-breaking RFAs up for extensions. They have the cash to compete for Duchene. Also, of all the realistic suitor cities for Duchene, Buffalo is the closest to his hometown of Haliburton, Ont.

So what’s scarier?

Turris at $6 million for 5 years, or Duchene for $9.5 million for 7 years?

Turris is 18 months older. Duchene blew him out the water last year, but they scored roughly at the same pace over the five previous years.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So what’s scarier?

Turris is 18 months older. Duchene blew him out the water last year, but they scored roughly at the same pace over the five previous years.

Duchene, especially since you probably get salary retention on Turris. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If Turris ends up being our solution, it will further my simmering belief that the Sabres' analytics department is either really bad or wields close to zero influence in the organization. 

Even then, it would have to be for like a 5th round pick. 

What do analytics say about Turris?

Separately, is it reasonable to think that NHL analytics departments use different types of analytics that put emphasis on different thing? Could, for example, a heavy emphasis on even strength scoring have led to the acquisition of and big contract for Skinner?

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What do analytics say about Turris?

Separately, is it reasonable to think that NHL analytics departments use different types of analytics that put emphasis on different thing? Could, for example, a heavy emphasis on even strength scoring have led to the acquisition of and big contract for Skinner?

This year? Bad news bears. Before this year? Pretty good. At the time of the trade, there was actually a reasonable argument to be made that he was better than Duchene.

Turris this season vs. the past 3 seasons combined paints a pretty stark picture.

image.thumb.png.06368decea471d168056db1a3d950406.png

image.thumb.png.5bfbbaccf83f8a49dba0c3f211a4708a.png

While I have no doubt that different teams have proprietary measures and methods, I'd be shocked if any team's analytics department didn't emphasize even strength scoring. Even strength play has been all the rage in the analytics community since its infancy, and is one of the things that causes a disconnect between analytics types and broader observers who focus on traditional counting stats.

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

I want Donskoi and Dzingel. Not all that interested in Zucc.

Why not interested in Zuccarello?

Edit: 

I would sign him 5 mil to 3 year contract anyday, he is a magician with the puck and a absolute beast on shootouts.
He would be a perfect fit to rightwing Sammy and have Sheary leftwing Sammy

Jeff Skinner - Jack Eichle - (Joe Pavelsky?), "the Jays"

Connor Sheary - Sam Reinhart - Mats Zucarello

Victor Olofsson - Casey Mittlestadt - Kyle Okposo

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Why not interested in Zuccarello?

Edit: 

I would sign him 5 mil to 3 year contract anyday, he is a magician with the puck and a absolute beast on shootouts.
He would be a perfect fit to rightwing Sammy and have Sheary leftwing Sammy

Jeff Skinner - Jack Eichle - (Joe Pavelsky?), "the Jays"

Connor Sheary - Sam Reinhart - Mats Zucarello

Victor Olofsson - Casey Mittlestadt - Kyle Okposo

I guess I’m banking on someone getting stupid for Zucc which doesn’t interest me. $5M for three years wouldn’t bother me much. I think he’s a good player who has been consistently good for way too long to not get more attention on this market.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

So what’s scarier?

I like  Duchene better salaries being equal.  Kid can score, pass as well.., not sure about Turris... he is good in the corners as well, tough but dont think he can create his shot as well as Duschene but either for the right price. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I guess I’m banking on someone getting stupid for Zucc which doesn’t interest me. $5M for three years wouldn’t bother me much. I think he’s a good player who has been consistently good for way too long to not get more attention on this market.

I guess I don’t get the Zucc love I read everywhere. The guy has scored over 16 goals exactly once.

24 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I guess I don’t get the Zucc love I read everywhere. The guy has scored over 16 goals exactly once.

He is way more of a playmaker than scorer.  I know this team lacks the scorer part of it but if the price was right and there are no better options I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

28 minutes ago, Derrico said:

He is way more of a playmaker than scorer.  I know this team lacks the scorer part of it but if the price was right and there are no better options I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

I don’t hate the idea but I don’t like the contract numbers I’m hearing.

• Like (+1) 1

They were talking about Josh Archibald on WGR this AM. A Fan heard a member of the Sabres Staff bring the name up to Ralph Kruger.

Former Penguin-RW 12 goals last year for Arizona last year. 

Metrics are nothing to write home about.

Would be a depth signing. 

I think the best plan is to suffer one more year and not panic to add some top free agent. This team needs a year to figure out players like Thompson, Mittle, Olaffson, goalie, and Nylander. Hopefully by 2020, Cozens is the #2 center and Mitts is the #3. I don't see any legit #2 center being on the team this year unless Risto is involved in some sort of trade. 

I absolutely hate that this team probably blows again but I just don't see any other path as it stands now. I would be beyond ecstatic if they could stay within 5 points of 8 this year from start to finish. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think the best plan is to suffer one more year and not panic to add some top free agent. This team needs a year to figure out players like Thompson, Mittle, Olaffson, goalie, and Nylander. Hopefully by 2020, Cozens is the #2 center and Mitts is the #3. I don't see any legit #2 center being on the team this year unless Risto is involved in some sort of trade. 

I absolutely hate that this team probably blows again but I just don't see any other path as it stands now. I would be beyond ecstatic if they could stay within 5 points of 8 this year from start to finish. 

I wouldn't mind this conceptually if there was some reason to believe the team's performance would be biased more toward the first half of last season than the second half.  I mean, there was no reason for them to not be in the wildcard mix except for blowing all four tires plus the spare - unless it was coaching.  While I'm interested in the boldness of the RK hire, I'm equally a-feared it will fail.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ... said:

I wouldn't mind this conceptually if there was some reason to believe the team's performance would be biased more toward the first half of last season than the second half.  I mean, there was no reason for them to not be in the wildcard mix except for blowing all four tires plus the spare - unless it was coaching.  While I'm interested in the boldness of the RK hire, I'm equally a-feared it will fail.

This. While the Sabres may have improved overall in points last year from the previous last place finish, they earned the lion's share of them earlier on and during the streak before becoming a tire fire in the back half of the season. If they go into this season with the status quo of players from last year, it'd be more inclined to expect them to look more like the 2nd half team than the 1st half team and wasting another season. That puts RK off to a bad start and makes JB's seat all the warmer. I think it's probably too risky to stick with the status quo.

31 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

This. While the Sabres may have improved overall in points last year from the previous last place finish, they earned the lion's share of them earlier on and during the streak before becoming a tire fire in the back half of the season. If they go into this season with the status quo of players from last year, it'd be more inclined to expect them to look more like the 2nd half team than the 1st half team and wasting another season. That puts RK off to a bad start and makes JB's seat all the warmer. I think it's probably too risky to stick with the status quo.

I guess what I am saying is blow up the awful bottom 6, add a reasonable 2nd line winger, but don't go blowing 9 million and 7 years on some 2nd line center you may regret big-time. Our 2nd line Center is already in the system and you then fill out the wings when ready.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.