Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Or we could get Briere. We can play what if all day long. The point is we need to make a trade and Risto is a solid piece to do it with.

We sure could keep playing this game all day, especially if you continue to play both sides of the fence. One minute Risto is useless in his own end and just throws pucks around the boards to no one. The next minute you are saying the bolded above.

I totally don't mind someone having an opinion even if I do/ don't agree with them. But this is kinda crazy teetering.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No. 

Top 6 forward or nothing. I am sick of picking up plugs. 

I may or may not agree with you completely on whether to keep Risto, but I absolutely agree with you that "if" he is dealt, that nothing less than a legitimate top 6 scoring forward is the return.  Preferably a 2C or RW who can bring speed, scoring and ideally a little edge too.  I am tired of having an overabundance of 3rd or 4th line players who can't score and/or cause the other teams to take notice.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

We sure could keep playing this game all day, especially if you continue to play both sides of the fence. One minute Risto is useless in his own end and just throws pucks around the boards to no one. The next minute you are saying the bolded above.

I totally don't mind someone having an opinion even if I do/ don't agree with them. But this is kinda crazy teetering.

I hold that Risto needs leave this team because he isn't good enough and another team will value him as good enough. I am not teetering. I think there are teams around the league just like there are Sabres fans who view Risto as a good piece worth something. I see him differently. 

If you offered me a burger for 5$ even though you only paid 2$ for it and I bought it because I was really hungry, that doesn't mean the burger isn't worth 5$ and it doesn't mean it wasn't worth 2$. Both things are true at once. 

Risto is both not valuable enough for me to keep but valuable enough for another team to trade for. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No. 

Top 6 forward or nothing. I am sick of picking up plugs. 

It would also get rid of Risto so I can stop watching him fire pucks around the boards to no one and be useless in his own end. 4 ***** coaches at this point and Risto is still the same player. 

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I may or may not agree with you completely on whether to keep Risto, but I absolutely agree with you that "if" he is dealt, that nothing less than a legitimate top 6 scoring forward is the return.  Preferably a 2C or RW who can bring speed, scoring and ideally a little edge too.  I am tired of having an overabundance of 3rd or 4th line players who can't score and/or cause the other teams to take notice.  

@Carmel Corn....I agree with what the need is for our team, but how do you get that kind of return for Risto if any GM can see the bolded above in their evaluation of the player coming back their way?

I like the idea of Risto for Ehlers but I think that's a pipe dream for Sabres fans and will never happen.

There was an article in the Athletic addressing the Sabres scoring woes today and at the end of the article there's a chart that shows 5v5 expected Goal For Rates and WPG is dead last at 1.92 (Sabres are only 3 teams above that at 2.14).  I don't see the Jets jettisoning one of their better scores when they're even worse at 5v5 scoring than we are.

I am fully prepared to be underwhelmed by any trade that's made to try to "fix" the team. The optimist in me thinks I might simply be whelmed by a trade.

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

@Carmel Corn....I agree with what the need is for our team, but how do you get that kind of return for Risto if any GM can see the bolded above in their evaluation of the player coming back their way?

You are talking about a league where Taylor Hall was traded for nothing. Skinner was traded for nothing, ROR was traded for nothing (sorry Tage). Colin Miller was traded for nothing. It happens with regularity in the league why is this such a sticking point? I evaluated Risto, that doesn't mean that Winnipeg's GM values him the same way, hence the hamburger analogy. Everyone isn't go to give something the same value. 

Jeff Skinner is the perfect example. Carolina didn't want him, got next to nothing for him and got him off their team. They valued the cap space they were getting more. Maybe a team values Risto eating tons of minutes and being a decent pp1 QB more than his possession deficiencies. It's really that simple. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I hold that Risto needs leave this team because he isn't good enough and another team will value him as good enough. I am not teetering. I think there are teams around the league just like there are Sabres fans who view Risto as a good piece worth something. I see him differently. 

If you offered me a burger for 5$ even though you only paid 2$ for it and I bought it because I was really hungry, that doesn't mean the burger isn't worth 5$ and it doesn't mean it wasn't worth 2$. Both things are true at once. 

Risto is both not valuable enough for me to keep but valuable enough for another team to trade for. 

It also doesn't mean that you might not regret paying $5 for that burger later in the day when your running for the bathroom either, LOL. 

From Pierre LeBrun

Sabres/Sobotka

No official word yet out of Buffalo on the status of injured forward Vladimir Sobotka but what I’m hearing is that it’s likely on the longish-term side for his absence.

Which will only accentuate the Sabres’ search for a top-nine forward.

As we’ve reported before, eventually if/when Buffalo gets a totally healthy blueline corps, that will be a position of strength it can trade from.

Marco Scandella should be back within a week while Zach Bogosian will need a bit more time, I think, before appearing in a game. Once he’s back practising, which should be soon, he’ll need to work up to speed.

But at some point, the Sabres will trade for a forward, that much is almost certain.

10 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

EDM doesn't have the cap for this.

Nor would they make that trade if they did.  We need a top 6, so probably should trade all three for Ehlers, however no way does EDM trade Puljujarvi and Chiasson for Sheary and Scandella.  I love a Sweet Lou trade idea but in this three way (as it is in real life), one party leaves unsatisfied. 

Edited by Broken Ankles

Just now, Broken Ankles said:

Nor would they make that trade if they did.  We need a top 6, so probably should trade all three for Ehlers, however no way does EDM trade Puljujarvi and Chiasson for Sheary and Scandella.  I love a Sweet Lou trade idea but in this three way (as it in real life), one party leaves unsatisfied. 

Maybe you’re not doing it right.

• Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They can't afford to wait on their D health. It has to happen now. 

Definitely. We have John Gilmour and likely Scandella already as D 7 and 8. Pilut in Rochester. If Botterill is waiting until Bogosian is back, too, and a fully healthy, 9/10 deep unit, he's not actually looking to make a move. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Maybe, just maybe, there is not a trade partner out there just yet?  Maybe there is a trade partner out there, but their price is too high right now?

I have to think that JBOT, like all GMs, is always looking at and for ways to improve their team.

This is why, to me, it always comes down to timeline. It's all well and good to say that, and I agree, but there needs to be a point where the results are expected, full stop. There will always be a reason for why moves can be pushed back, if one wants to find them. And GMs always will, if they can, as job security like it or not is what they care about most, by and large. Understandably, sure, but it is what it is. 

Everyone's own mileage will vary but speaking only for myself, I decided 3 full seasons was enough time to expect a GM to field a playoff bubble team. Make the moves or don't, that's the standard I'm judging him on.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Pierre LeBrun

Sabres/Sobotka

No official word yet out of Buffalo on the status of injured forward Vladimir Sobotka but what I’m hearing is that it’s likely on the longish-term side for his absence.

Which will only accentuate the Sabres’ search for a top-nine forward.

As we’ve reported before, eventually if/when Buffalo gets a totally healthy blueline corps, that will be a position of strength it can trade from.

Marco Scandella should be back within a week while Zach Bogosian will need a bit more time, I think, before appearing in a game. Once he’s back practising, which should be soon, he’ll need to work up to speed.

But at some point, the Sabres will trade for a forward, that much is almost certain.

Am I naive to assume that the league even bothered to reviewed that hit and determined that that was completely clean hit and did not deserved any supplemental punishment?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.