GDT: Colorado at Buffalo, Feb. 4, 2020, 7:08 p.m. ET (MSG)

PASabreFan

I used to love the Avalanche growing up. It was difficult being a Sabres fan after No Goal, especially once Hasek left. The Sabres were not good, attendance was low, and the owner was a criminal. But Joe Sakic and the Avs? Now that was a team that was fun to watch. I remember the excitement of getting Chris Drurys McDonalds rookie card. My first Sakic sweater. My second Sakic sweater. My third Sakic sweater. Jumping up and down on the couch watching them beat the Devils in the cup. I don’t follow the Avs closely anymore, but I love me some Nathan MacKinnon and Gabe Landeskog. I might watch tonight for the nostalgia. Maybe they’ll talk about Hejduk and Tanguay or Blake and Foote at some point. 

Go Sabres...

• Like (+1) 2

I hate nothing more than how "the flu" becomes a catch-all phrase for any sickness. 

If you have the flu, you will remember the illness for the rest of your life, and it will be based in your respiratory system. 

Our players likely have norovirus or a different form of stomach bug. Or a different respiratory infection otherwise called "colds" by normal people. 

If the influenza virus was going around the locker room, we probably wouldn't see the relevant players for a few games, as Bruce Smith at his physical peak was incapable of standing up without passing out when he had the influenza virus 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I hate nothing more than how "the flu" becomes a catch-all phrase for any sickness. 

If you have the flu, you will remember the illness for the rest of your life, and it will be based in your respiratory system. 

Our players likely have norovirus or a different form of stomach bug. Or a different respiratory infection otherwise called "colds" by normal people. 

If the influenza virus was going around the locker room, we probably wouldn't see the relevant players for a few games, as Bruce Smith at his physical peak was incapable of standing up without passing out when he had the influenza virus 

Agreed. I had the flu once and I'll never forget it. You very quickly realize how it can wipe out an entire continent. That thing is just brutal

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

I used to love the Avalanche growing up. It was difficult being a Sabres fan after No Goal, especially once Hasek left. The Sabres were not good, attendance was low, and the owner was a criminal. But Joe Sakic and the Avs? Now that was a team that was fun to watch. I remember the excitement of getting Chris Drurys McDonalds rookie card. My first Sakic sweater. My second Sakic sweater. My third Sakic sweater. Jumping up and down on the couch watching them beat the Devils in the cup. I don’t follow the Avs closely anymore, but I love me some Nathan MacKinnon and Gabe Landeskog. I might watch tonight for the nostalgia. Maybe they’ll talk about Hejduk and Tanguay or Blake and Foote at some point. 

Go Sabres...

I was a Red Wings fan.  I lived in Detroit from 1991 to 1997 and became a big Stevie Y fan, and celebrated the Cup wins in 1997, 98, etc.  The Avs were their biggest rivals.  I had a deep hatred for them, especially for Claude Lemieux (who rearranged Chris Draper's face with a wicked check into the dasher at the top of the boards).  Sakic was about the only Av that I didn't view as a hack artist.

So... no conflict here:  GO SABRES

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are various levels of symptoms associated with flu viruses.  Some are relatively mild, some are incapacitating.  The flu could very well be what's going around the room even if players aren't on their deathbeds.

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Gulp

Since Ullmark's injury, in 2+ games for Hutton, he has a .949 save percentage and a 1.45 GAA. The Sabres discounting empty net goals have given up 12 goals in their last 7 games, a 1.71 GPG average and are 4-3 in those said games. Defense and Goaltending has not been their problem these past few games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I was a Red Wings fan.  I lived in Detroit from 1991 to 1997 and became a big Stevie Y fan, and celebrated the Cup wins in 1997, 98, etc.  The Avs were their biggest rivals.  I had a deep hatred for them, especially for Claude Lemieux (who rearranged Chris Draper's face with a wicked check into the dasher at the top of the boards).  Sakic was about the only Av that I didn't view as a hack artist.

So... no conflict here:  GO SABRES

Oh there’s no conflict for me either, I’ll never root for another Sabres loss again. That rivalry really was something. For as big of an Avs fan I was, my best friend was a Red Wings and Stevie Y guy. Some of the best hockey ever played were between those two rosters. There’s a really great YouTube video you should watch on the rivalry if you ever get the chance:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIzNQydkBi0

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

Since Ullmark's injury, in 2+ games for Hutton, he has a .949 save percentage and a 1.45 GAA. The Sabres discounting empty net goals have given up 12 goals in their last 7 games, a 1.71 GPG average and are 4-3 in those said games. Defense and Goaltending has not been their problem these past few games. 

I was posting about Dahlin and Larsson dealing with maintenance and the fact that the flu is making the rounds through the room. 

Hutton is the least if their problems right now and has looked very good. As you mentioned the problem remains with lack of scoring. 

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

There are various levels of symptoms associated with flu viruses.  Some are relatively mild, some are incapacitating.  The flu could very well be what's going around the room even if players aren't on their deathbeds.

In 99% of sports cases, what is called the flu is actually norovirus, an incredibly contagious stomach bug. Whatever the levels of influenza symptoms, they are not an absence of respiratory symptoms in place of the digestive symptoms that are prevalent in these situations

And it's true that some people don't have as strong symptoms as others, when influenza goes through the locker room, it wouldn't result in most of these players having a relatively mild dose of it and being able to fight through it, and being better within a few days, even if some of them felt that way. 

I believe McDavid had the actual influenza virus last year. 

But anyway, the original point stands - I hate that everyone calls every form of sickness imaginable, the flu

I'd come into my office in grad school, "where were ya yesterday bud?" to a friend. "Oh, I had the flu." Oh, you had the flu for a day, and now you're better? Because if you just have the cold you sound like you have, fine. But if you actually have influenza you had better get the ***** out of this room right now thank you very much

Edited by Randall Flagg

Ditto on the flu remarks. It's always bugged me. (Wasn't even going for that pun, but I am proud nonetheless.) I kind of wish some reporter would be brave enough to ask Rasmus (pick a Rasmus, any Rasmus), if his asmus had been exploding.

But then along comes Doohickie to, in SS fashion, muddy the waters.

Whatever is going around, I would propose there are many things an NHL team could do to limit the spread of disease. For the love of God, stop passing that towel around. Dedicated water bottles? OK, I said many and came up with two. ***** off, you couldn't even name one.

The problem with staph infections is that the bacteria is everywhere and constantly evolving.  If you over-treat it with antibiotics, it selects for antibiotic-resistant strains.  Generally the human immune system handles the bacteria just fine, but a compromised immune system or a traumatic wound to the body can result in an infection.  I think part of the problem with hockey players is the combination of sweat, small cuts/abrasions, and hockey pads that are breeding grounds for bacteria.  It's like a perfect storm.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The problem with staph infections is that the bacteria Drew is everywhere and constantly evolving.  If you over-treat it him with antibiotics, it he selects for antibiotic-resistant strains.  Generally the human immune system handles the bacteria Drew just fine, but a compromised immune system or a traumatic wound to the body can result in an infection.  I think part of the problem with hockey players is the combination of sweat, small cuts/abrasions, and hockey pads that are breeding grounds for bacteria bleech, e.g. Drew.  It's like a perfect storm.

FTFY. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.