Sabres' attendance slipping

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, NY2buffalo said:

I think any public displays of disrespect show prove grounds for immediate removal. 

That's some heavy ***** right there.  I momentarily paused to imagine a boo bird getting the blood eagle in front of KBC.  Fortunately I realized probably not a good idea (for business anyway). 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

amy poehler popcorn GIF

Wrong one.

2 hours ago, Indabuff said:

That's some heavy ***** right there.  I momentarily paused to imagine a boo bird getting the blood eagle in front of KBC.  Fortunately I realized probably not a good idea (for business anyway). 

I'm not familiar with the blood eagle, but I'm now hoping for the giant cartoon hook that pulls the offender out of the building.  Maybe we can modify that and have it come from the ceiling and it turns into a giant claw game.

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

Nothing heavy about it. If you're rude to a singer at a concert, security removes you. Same rules apply

The year was 2004. Spring Fest, lake La Salle, UB North Campus. Lil Kim had just called us Buffalo State. We boo'd her mercilessly until it was time for Nas to play.  

2006: SPAC: Counting Crows thought they could get away with changing their sound to some reggae nonsense. We weren't having it. Booo!

2009: Pepsi Arena, Albany: Lars Urlrich can no longer play any of the fills for any of Metallica's early work. He just stands and claps his sticks. Booo!

I've got more. No one was removed. Ever.

1 hour ago, NY2buffalo said:

Nothing heavy about it. If you're rude to a singer at a concert, security removes you. Same rules apply

I'd just stay home then, watch what games i wish from my home. I mean, if I boo at my TV, in my own house, is some burly men in black going to come remove me from my home? And if I refuse to buy anymore merchandise as a show of my disdain for poor product performance, is my bank account going to be garnished?

16 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

2) More of a focus on mental health in the league

This is something I could get behind. What does the CBA currently say with regards to mental health? What should teams be doing that they currently are not? 

16 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

3) Repercussions against fans for tarshing names of players

Please tell me you're kidding. How am I tarnishing, for example, UPL when I point out how terrible he's been playing in Rochester? Do you really feel that a fan shouldn't express their thoughts and feelings about the players? After all, a fan isn't saying anything that is affecting a player's ability to earn a living. What they do on and off the ice has 100% of the influence on that.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:58 PM, NY2buffalo said:

I think we're a lot better than we get credit for, especially with the success that's happening in Rochester. No ever talks about that.

What is this success you're referencing here? They lost 3-1 at home to Utica tonight. That puts them two points from falling  into third in the division. If they lose home ice advantage AGAIN is it somehow the fault of me, the fan? Did I do something to cause their plummet in the standings? Am I responsible for the 3 game first round sweep two years ago? What about the first round sweep last year losing 2 of those at home? My fault too? 

I've also wanted to ask this question. Do you think the players are cognizant of the poverty that exists in the cities that they play in?

I grew up DIRT poor. My poor father raised five boys on $12G/year. We raised our own meat, grew our own vegetables, foraged for fruits/berries and supplemented it all with hunting/roadkill. There was nothing in the budget for hockey. We skated on donated skates. The five of us built a rink every year, hauling five gallon buckets from the spring house an eighth of a mile away. We made our own sticks from rough lumber our Dad had in abundance on equipment that we were most likely to young to operate. We ***** LOVED hockey that much. 

How many of those kids make it to the pros? How many poverty stricken city kids have the opportunity to play this sport? How many of them get to go to games? Suggesting the fans are to blame and should compensate the players beyond the deal they settled on for themselves seems way out of touch to me and tbh, reeks of entitlement. If a player can't realize what good fortune they've had being born into a family that can afford to play hockey then they'll never find peace. If empathy wasn't a topic of discussion in that warm SUV while traveling to and from practice/games then it isn't on me, the fan.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You think in the future that virtual fans won't be "tossed" from "arenas" because of comments/thoughts?

And just wait until they start to work the live gambling into games as that starts to become legal everywhere.  You bet on Curtis Lazar to win that draw and then boo as he's ejected from the circle.  Throw him out!

And then there's ref booing.  They make so much less than the players.  Why should we be allowed to hurt their feelings like that?  Ref boos = lifetime ban.

49 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

tenor.gif

I feel like there's a different one I'm thinking of, but yeah, Thriller is the winner.

9 hours ago, Ogre said:

What is this success you're referencing here? They lost 3-1 at home to Utica tonight. That puts them two points from falling  into third in the division. If they lose home ice advantage AGAIN is it somehow the fault of me, the fan? Did I do something to cause their plummet in the standings? Am I responsible for the 3 game first round sweep two years ago? What about the first round sweep last year losing 2 of those at home? My fault too? 

I've also wanted to ask this question. Do you think the players are cognizant of the poverty that exists in the cities that they play in?

I grew up DIRT poor. My poor father raised five boys on $12G/year. We raised our own meat, grew our own vegetables, foraged for fruits/berries and supplemented it all with hunting/roadkill. There was nothing in the budget for hockey. We skated on donated skates. The five of us built a rink every year, hauling five gallon buckets from the spring house an eighth of a mile away. We made our own sticks from rough lumber our Dad had in abundance on equipment that we were most likely to young to operate. We ***** LOVED hockey that much. 

How many of those kids make it to the pros? How many poverty stricken city kids have the opportunity to play this sport? How many of them get to go to games? Suggesting the fans are to blame and should compensate the players beyond the deal they settled on for themselves seems way out of touch to me and tbh, reeks of entitlement. If a player can't realize what good fortune they've had being born into a family that can afford to play hockey then they'll never find peace. If empathy wasn't a topic of discussion in that warm SUV while traveling to and from practice/games then it isn't on me, the fan.

1.  You're making the mistake of taking that person seriously.

2.  Your life sounds interesting!

31 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

1) Your story is interesting. We should encourage others to work hard too like you did. Maybe one day they can make it some level of professional hockey if they work hard. 

2) Not really fare to put all players in one boat. Many have come from less than ideal upbringings. Many had to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. I'm pretty the "players" have done more charity work than this whole form combined. Just look at all the fundraisers. 

3) Believe me, AHL players aren't living in luxury (<60,000 a year). People forget this, and hence why I'm here.

4) Many players go bankrupt at the end of the careers due to all  he pressure and all the taxes/expenses they face/

5) Unlike other professions, players risk their lives when playing.

I know you are new to the board, but the irony of you responding this way to Orge, out of every other poster, has given me a good chuckle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

1) Your story is interesting. We should encourage others to work hard too like you did. Maybe one day they can make it some level of professional hockey if they work hard. 

2) Not really fare to put all players in one boat. Many have come from less than ideal upbringings. Many had to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. I'm pretty the "players" have done more charity work than this whole form combined. Just look at all the fundraisers. 

3) Believe me, AHL players aren't living in luxury (<60,000 a year). People forget this, and hence why I'm here.

4) Many players go bankrupt at the end of the careers due to all  he pressure and all the taxes/expenses they face/

5) Unlike other professions, players risk their lives when playing.

Full stop at players risk their lives playing. When was the last time an NHL player died on the job? I grew up in a small logging community. I grew up with so many guys who are no longer with us because they died on the job. Thats just logging. Hockey is a very safe way to make a living.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NY2buffalo said:

Steve Montador from CTE

Concussions happen in almost every sport, minor league, pro leagues, beer leagues. Your words were ‘ unlike other professions ‘. I grew up in a town where 6 friends died logging in a 35 year period. Another friend in the pulp mill had a tank of molten sulfur empty onto him. These friends made a fraction of what pro athletes make and their jobs were dangerous.  As I said hockey is a safe job in comparison.

I live in a constant state of awareness that one of my Sabrespace posts could be what finally pushes a despondent Sabres fan over the ledge, or be the hand that eases that same fan off it. It's a precipitous tightrope I walk on a daily basis.

The idea of me being compensated for this important function in society has merit.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NY2buffalo said:

Not on the job, but after. Steve Montador from CTE. We payers face similar blows to the head like people in the military

I don't disagree with this. But isn't that an employee/employer situation?

All the back and forth between players and fans on this conversation put aside for a moment, think back to when you started playing hockey as a young'in, when your love for the game was what it was all about. You may be a player, but your still a fan, just like the rest of us.

As a fan I may get angry at a players on ice mistakes, it's the passion within all of us, but I spend a portion of what I earn on the Sabres organization as it is. You have to remember, fans budgets aren't limitless.

As for your statements on the dangers, the medical or life after hockey benefits, that is between employee and employer.

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I live in a constant state of awareness that one of my Sabrespace posts could be what finally pushes a despondent Sabres fan over the ledge, or be the hand that eases that same fan off it. It's a precipitous tightrope I walk on a daily basis.

The idea of me being compensated for this important function in society has merit.

And don't even get me started on the carpal tunnel syndrome risk.  @SDS, I demand a raise!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.