Sabres' attendance slipping

PASabreFan

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Do you ever try to play along with the scammer and mess with them?  Usually they just hang up right away, but the true fun is had when they don't.

I can't do it! I have no patience on the phone. My wife says I always sound angry when I answer if I don't recognize the number. 

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

I can't do it! I have no patience on the phone. My wife says I always sound angry when I answer if I don't recognize the number. 

My new favorite is the election text messages.  I'm as rude as possible when demanding to be removed from the mailing list.  My personal favorite was one that said something along the lines of "Dear. <shrader's wife's name>, Candidate X has worked hard fighting for people like you. Can he/she expect your vote on tuesday?".  My response:
"All that hard work and he/she still can't get my name right".

And the best part is that these people will always respond no matter what you say to them.  I may have to start asking them if they'll donate some money to my fund to bribe better performances out of pro athletes.

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do you ever try to play along with the scammer and mess with them?  Usually they just hang up right away, but the true fun is had when they don't.

It's actually gotten to the point that I look forward to these phone calls just to do that.  You really have to string them along a bit to keep them on the phone.  It's kind of like fishing, you have to entice them to take the bait. 

Thanks to everyone for the input regarding tickets.   

Edited by Indabuff

46 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

Let's just say it's hard explain who I am, but I'm definitely not a scammer. If I have offended any of you, I'm sorry. I just want to advocate for players rights, that is all.  

What rights in particular are you advocating for?  They have a bundle of rights that they've negotiated and agreed to in the CBA. 

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What rights in particular are you advocating for?  They have a bundle of rights that they've negotiated and agreed to in the CBA. 

Also I have no idea why there appears to be a child in the background

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I believe that would a reaction to the idea. Poorly done? Sure. But it alludes to the feeling many fans have to your initial proposal.

I'm personally opposed to paying players outside of their normal funnel of funding (which is a paycheck directly from the Sabres). And I've stated my reasoning as to why.

Interesting as though it may be, it won't solve the Sabres current woes, which are well documented at this time. But I do appreciate your candor in such an idea.

I think it's time to move beyond that, the larger answer to the proposal, both here on this board as well as those who would eventually catch information on this will be the same. No, if the players aren't incentivized enough with their pay from their employer, they'll need to look elsewhere for monetary encouragement. Might I suggest performing on the Ice, during games, ABOVE AND BEYOND the competition. That more often than not leads to secondary large cash cows.

In the meantime, can we get back to discussing how to better the team overall talent wise, for longevity? This type of asset conversation is sure to produce much better results than your aforementioned "circumvent the cap pay scheme". Just saying.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

You should probably look up how many teams in NHL history have missed the playoffs 9 years in a row.

Everyone thinks it is the worst possible outcome, until someone else set a new low bar.

We thought the Sabres points in 2013-2014 was awful.. a points % of .317.  That's awful... but that's only the 46th worse points % season in NHL history -> https://records.nhl.com/records/team-records/standings-points/fewest-points-season-70-game-min

The Red Wings this year are at a .257 pace.. only 35 points.. yikes.

I mean.. it's not good, but someone will come along and make it not seem so bad.  You just have to wait. ?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It's a commonly used WTF/confused GIF in response to a statement by the OP that I used pages back.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I believe that would a reaction to the idea. Poorly done? Sure. But it alludes to the feeling many fans have to your initial proposal.

Hey now with the "poorly done" statement.  If you're looking for quality reactions from me I'm gonna need some sort of monetary incentive! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

It's a commonly used WTF/confused GIF in response to a statement by the OP that I used pages back.

I just don't know why it appeared when all I did was post a link to the other thread.  More of technology passing me by.

16 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

1) Increased job security for players predominately in the AHL/non-super start NHL players

2) More of a focus on mental health in the league

3) Repercussions against fans for tarshing names of players

Job security at the AHL level is interesting. But once again I'd point to a couple of items here.

1. What are the goals of the individual AHL teams? Since this is a Sabres forum, from a fan perspective I believe there are 2 goals. #1 provide an environment where success as a team is front and center. #2 development of players games to achieve a competitive environment.

As for mental health, yes, I agree with you. Addressing it is long over due. Many players come in from all over the world, that time from home can lead to many anxieties I agree.

Stop trashing players names. This is a tough one, in male sports specifically. Not merely as fans either. When I played organized sports in my younger years there was trashing, not only from opposing players but from their friends/parents. It's an aggressive sport, it brings out the savage in many, but I do understand what you are saying. All I can offer is this, the mentally tough push through the trash talk and get busy getting to work.

I work in a hard core trash talking environment, where at 50 yrs old, I'm still called young'in and "hey kiddo". My job doesn't suffer from it, I take it in stride.

56 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

It's not so much calling people names, but it's upsetting to hear when people tell player X that they're lazy, or hardly working, and need to be traded. Could those people do it better??

I don't mean to chuckle about this, bit imagine this for a moment, your a traveling construction hand, you travel the country going job to job for 25 yrs of your adult life, seeing home once, maybe twice a year, for a week or less at a time. While your up on steel I beams at 16 to 20 stories up in the air, going about your work others not 9nly on the job, in your specific trade, but right on your own crew your working directly with call you a piece of ***** daily, tell others you can't get the job done, say terrible things on the job, and this goes on job after job, year after year, yet you show up on the jobs, knowing full well you are going to deal with this. And these aren't people who come to watch you 2 to 4 times a week, nope, they are there, everyday, 12, 14, 16 hours a day, yet you continue to go to work, day after day, year after year.

Learning to cope isn't really the appropriate term. It's staying focused on your goals, harnessing what your will power to block out the noise around you and push forward. Human behavior is largely a product of the environment around it, it's up to the individual to push through adversity the same as if they celebrate when successful. Some call it thick skinned, others say its shaking it off, and still others call it something else, but in the end it is the determination within an individual to allow at to eat at them or to ignore it and stay focused.

And believe me, at 20 stories up in the air, you can't afford the luxury of what others are saying. Stay focused!

2 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

1) Increased job security for players predominately in the AHL/non-super start NHL players

2) More of a focus on mental health in the league

3) Repercussions against fans for tarshing names of players

#1 and #2 are between the players and the NHL/AHL.  I don't think anyone here would mind if the players tried to negotiated better rights on those items.

Regarding #3 -- what kind of repercussions do you have in mind?  If I post on a message board that Hutton sucks and the Sabres need a better goalie, what should happen to me?  Who should be in charge of deciding my punishment?

13 hours ago, LTS said:

Everyone thinks it is the worst possible outcome, until someone else set a new low bar.

We thought the Sabres points in 2013-2014 was awful.. a points % of .317.  That's awful... but that's only the 46th worse points % season in NHL history -> https://records.nhl.com/records/team-records/standings-points/fewest-points-season-70-game-min

The Red Wings this year are at a .257 pace.. only 35 points.. yikes.

I mean.. it's not good, but someone will come along and make it not seem so bad.  You just have to wait. ?

We reach the bar next year.  Is that what I'm waiting for?  At least this team will have one record.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

"I'm not Tim Connolly in real life, but I play him on a Sabres message board."

It's a big topic right now given a certain virus.  I think I need to coin a new phrase for this whole charade:  Fehr-mongering

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

#1 and #2 are between the players and the NHL/AHL.  I don't think anyone here would mind if the players tried to negotiated better rights on those items.

Regarding #3 -- what kind of repercussions do you have in mind?  If I post on a message board that Hutton sucks and the Sabres need a better goalie, what should happen to me?  Who should be in charge of deciding my punishment?

lol

27 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

I think any public displays of disrespect show prove grounds for immediate removal. 

Immediate removal from where?  The message board?  The arena? 

Again:  are you saying that if someone posts "Hutton sucks" or "Reinhart sucks" on this message board, they should be banned from the board?  Banned from the arena?  Other?

Just now, nfreeman said:

Again:  are you saying that if someone posts "Hutton sucks" or "Reinhart sucks" on this message board, they should be banned from the board?  Banned from the arena?  Other?

I have to say, I unironically believe that all fans who boo at a time deemed unjustified by myself deserve permanent bans from KBC

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

If there was ever a time for that eating popcorn gif, this is it.  I don't know what we're watching here, but I can't look away.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

If there was ever a time for that eating popcorn gif, this is it.  I don't know what we're watching here, but I can't look away.

Every time I click into this thread I hate That my OCD needs to not see any bold blue dots on the main page.  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.