GDT: 11/21/19 Sabres @ Bruins, 7 p.m. EST, MSG WGR

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

As soon as the rangers and devils play the same amount of games as Buffalo, we will be in 15th Place in the conference. The unintentional tank is officially in full swing.....

Lightning, Leafs, Sens, Rangers, Devils, and Blue Jackets are all going to pass Buffalo in the near future?  Bummer.

PS:  Can I borrow your crystal ball?

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lightning, Leafs, Sens, Rangers, Devils, and Blue Jackets are all going to pass Buffalo in the near future?  Bummer.

PS:  Can I borrow your crystal ball?

By the end of next week...yup. 3 weeks ago, I said that they would fall past the 8th spot by the end of November and never get back up there again until 2020 season.

Edited by CallawaySabres

I don't care that we lost this game. If not for Rask and some bad luck we could have won. If we gave this sort of effort every night we would be a playoff team somewhere around where Florida is right now. Effort, makes a big difference. Where was this against the weak teams over the last stretch that we could have beaten?

Really impressed with Lazar's effort. He doesn't have the skill of some of our guys but I applaud him for going to the net and taking on a pretty tough guy in Wagner. Shows me heart and balls and we need a lot more of that in the lineup. I'd keep him around and hope it spreads. 

Krueger also earned some of his money putting Risto in front of the net. The old Scotty Bowman play when your team isn't big enough. I remember the havoc Larry Robinson did there and Risto can do the same. Speaks to a recognition of what I've been saying for years. Reinhart is not physical enough to be the front of the net guy and we need bigger stronger forwards. Until that day, why not Risto? Maybe Bogo. Big bodies to screen the goalie and make his life miserable. Good idea, long over due. 

Loss or not, for the first time this month I see a glimmer of hope. Play this way all the time and we will be better. 

• Like (+1) 8

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't care that we lost this game. If not for Rask and some bad luck we could have won. If we gave this sort of effort every night we would be a playoff team somewhere around where Florida is right now. Effort, makes a big difference. Where was this against the weak teams over the last stretch that we could have beaten?

Really impressed with Lazar's effort. He doesn't have the skill of some of our guys but I applaud him for going to the net and taking on a pretty tough guy in Wagner. Shows me heart and balls and we need a lot more of that in the lineup. I'd keep him around and hope it spreads. 

Krueger also earned some of his money putting Risto in front of the net. The old Scotty Bowman play when your team isn't big enough. I remember the havoc Larry Robinson did there and Risto can do the same. Speaks to a recognition of what I've been saying for years. Reinhart is not physical enough to be the front of the net guy and we need bigger stronger forwards. Until that day, why not Risto? Maybe Bogo. Big bodies to screen the goalie and make his life miserable. Good idea, long over due. 

Loss or not, for the first time this month I see a glimmer of hope. Play this way all the time and we will be better. 

+1 on Lazar.   Sandpaper, grit and compete level are other descriptions of his play.  At 1/6 the cost of Kyle, I’m sold.

Agree also on Risto on net front presence.  Why did it take so long?  Seriously.  After the Ducks game I would have thought teams have solved the power play.

Why is Jeff playing 16 1/2 minutes total?  I honestly didn’t mind mixing up the PP, but he needs to be back on FL#1 skating 21 minutes a night.   Having the same TOI as VO and Ville Vesey (not on Twitter but someone needs to make this a thing) is just wrong.

Glimmer -  a faint sign of a feeling.   Sounds right.  Appreciate the effort but still lacking talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

I caught pieces, and they looked a bit better. 

Honestly this loss wouldn't bother us too much if it was isolated, but when it's in the midst of a 3 million game losing streak, it kinda stings still. 

Sadly this Organ-eye-zation has a long way to go to build trust up with the fans, after 2 collapses this year and last, even a little hope is going to be questioned by skeptics. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

The Sabres have gone 4 games with no forward scoring other than Eichel. 

It certainly would help if every goalie they play against didn't play spectacular every night. 

I know they have trouble scoring/finishing but it just seems for the past couple years and so far this year every goalie plays lights out against the Sabres, they aren't doing anything different than other teams within their scoring chances it's just goalies making ungodly saves. i'll watch other games and pucks get by and go into nets, not for Buffalo though, same slot shots, or one timers or odd mans or point shots, it's sooooo frustrating to watch, how about Rodrigues last night, you're kidding me right,  or Shearys, there were about 4-5 others that could have, should have gone into the net, but no Rask was on just like every goalie is super hot against them.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Do people forget or just ignore how good Reinhart is in front of the net. If we aren't even go to live in reality what's the point of talking? 

Also if you are relying on your goals to be scored by a point shot coming in and deflecting off a net front guy, well you would probably have the scoring rate the Sabres do. 

10 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

There is no end in sight.  Within the next two to three weeks the arena will start being emptier and emptier.  Terry is going to be forced to clean house yet again.  

He won't. He can't. It would prove once and for all he doesn't know what he's doing. It might even force him to hire a hockey czar and go sniff jocks at One Bills Drive.

10 hours ago, Tondas said:

On to Florida on Sunday.  Need to go to the liquor store and restock with the Bills and Sabres playing on the same day.

I am already dreading the low camera angle in that arena.

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's because he's not lifting them ?

Correct. I blame Jimmy ***** Vesey instead!

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good post! I also remember Larry Robinson in front. I used to do the same with some of my teams when I was coaching.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do people forget or just ignore how good Reinhart is in front of the net. If we aren't even go to live in reality what's the point of talking? 

Also if you are relying on your goals to be scored by a point shot coming in and deflecting off a net front guy, well you would probably have the scoring rate the Sabres do. 

I don't think he's saying that at all. Rebounds, traffic and chaos are created in the slot and around the net. Most goals come from that area, and it causes the PK to collapse opening up spaces for guys like Reinhart.

4 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I don't think he's saying that at all. Rebounds, traffic and chaos are created in the slot and around the net. Most goals come from that area, and it causes the PK to collapse opening up spaces for guys like Reinhart.

Reinhart is literally the guy in front doing the things you are describing. 

Again if we aren't even going to use the facts and reality of what Reinhart does what's the point? 

• Like (+1) 2

I love this because I heard last year how Reinhart just got all this garbage goals and tip ins by standing in front of the net. Now the story is he is bad at that even though he continues to produce and that is part of the way he does it. I mean f##k really?  Are we not even going to use the reality of how he plays anymore? 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart is literally the guy in front doing the things you are describing. 

Again if we aren't even going to use the facts and reality of what Reinhart does what's the point? 

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Why insult people who disagree with you, some of them may know something.

PS the Power Play hasn't been working with Reinhart doing what you say he does.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Why insult people who disagree with you, some of them may know something.

PS the Power Play hasn't been working with Reinhart doing what you say he does.

You aren't dealing in facts. You said "Rebounds, traffic and chaos are created in the slot and around the net. Most goals come from that area, and it causes the PK to collapse opening up spaces for guys like Reinhart." Fact is Reinhart is the guy in front opening up that space. The problem with the PP is they think the way to run it is from the point. 

He said "Reinhart is not physical enough to be the net front guy" and then went on to say we need bigger forwards. That's an odd statement because Reinhart has been effective as a net front presence and he is the exact average size for an NHL forward. 

Our PP is bad because we run it from the point and want to get point shots through. That's bad because all the opposing PK has to do is sit in those lanes. We stopped working the PP from low (reinhart off to the side of the net) to the half wall (jack) and then across ice (olofsson) and now just pass between the point man and the half wall until we take a shot from above the circles we hope gets through for a shot at that net front chaos. It's just a bad scheme. Also teams realized how slow we move the puck and ourselves and so they pressure us and it works. The pp is not failing because Sam Reinhart isn't big enough or physical enough in front of the net. 

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

+1 on Lazar.

Also, props to Sheary.  He hustled every shift last night.  I noticed one clearing attempt where he put it on a Boston stick; he promptly skated over to the Boston player, knocked the puck off his stick in the high slot, and carried it out of the zone.  Just like Lazar used his grit, Sheary used his speed last night.  I just wish some of these guys could bury the puck.

I only got to see the 3rd period, heard the first was good.

I thought the effort was good and that is what I like to see. They had the puck a lot and were winning battles. If they do that against most teams they will win some games.

I was really peeved after the Minny game but this last one has given me some hope.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Risto in front of the net is different than Reino in front of the net.  Risto is going to park himself in front and clobber anyone who tries to keep him away from the puck and push it into the net (like last night).  Reino will glide back and forth, creating screens, tipping the puck, collecting rebounds, and depending on the play, slide off to the side and dish to the slot.  Both are good ways to play the net-front, they're just different.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.