Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jsb

GDT: Montreal at Buffalo Sabres Oct.9th, 7pm ET, MSG-RSN and WGR 550

Recommended Posts

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

I guess I see a different game than some of you. 

A pair of apples, and Dahlin is having a bad game? If he wasn’t in the lineup at all, we would have lost tonight. 

Dahlin had the game he always has. Some amazing play sprinkled with some really bad gaffs that for some reason seem to end up in our net.

He's 19. He's awesome.

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I guess I see a different game than some of you. 

A pair of apples, and Dahlin is having a bad game? If he wasn’t in the lineup at all, we would have lost tonight. 

I mean, he was still an asset to the team, and he was still good on the power play, but I thought that he didn’t have a good game relative to himself.  For example, even when Dahlin has a bad game, he is still better than Scandella having a good game, lol.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Kreuger said before he "lives the game" and Dahlin was not having a good game. You can see Kreuger definitely looks at more defensively responsible players in key moments. Johanson for the OT over Olofsson. Err on the side of caution and experience - and it worked.

Good win, pretty equal teams really but the PP won it. Hutton was average at best, ERod was meh, sloppy game at times that made me wish we still had Armia. I can see some troubling things but in a win I don't want to focus on that. Suffice it to say Kreuger has to teach them it takes 60 minutes every night and you need to keep working all the time and not live off your laurels. A consistent work ethic is what this team needs to go along with the obvious talent.

But this if fun so far. 

Sure, but if we don’t score that goal, when it’s time to change players, Dahlin would have been with the next group.  He is too good to not play in the OT format   

 

I cant agree with someone saying tonight was Dahlin’s worst game of his career.  He had a few bad ones last year.  Everyone makes errors and he is 19. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy game which we effectively swung wildly between great and awful for the full 62 minutes. 

Eichel with 4 pts, definitely making up for his gaffe in Columbus

Dahlin had some great plays and some where he was the sucker 2 pts

Johansson has just enough skill to activate Skinner; last year without Eichel he couldn't produce but with MoJo he can! Despite dragging around Sobotka

3-0-1, I like it!

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Kreuger said before he "lives the game" and Dahlin was not having a good game. You can see Kreuger definitely looks at more defensively responsible players in key moments. Johanson for the OT over Olofsson. Err on the side of caution and experience - and it worked.

Good win, pretty equal teams really but the PP won it. Hutton was average at best, ERod was meh, sloppy game at times that made me wish we still had Armia. I can see some troubling things but in a win I don't want to focus on that. Suffice it to say Kreuger has to teach them it takes 60 minutes every night and you need to keep working all the time and not live off your laurels. A consistent work ethic is what this team needs to go along with the obvious talent.

But this if fun so far. 

Nobody plays 60 minutes every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sabres are averaging 4.5 goals per game.  Gotta love it.  

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty good hockey at 3-0-1.   Some warts have been exposed in the last two games but the team is learning and growing together.  

We are a top goalie and 3-4 skaters away from a great team.  Still a way to go but we should be in the thick of the playoff race for much longer than Christmas time.  

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont want to make poor statements and i definitely dont know about hockey like many here, but reinhardt doesnt look really good most of the time. he seems mostly irrelevant to the plays. you have ollafson making shots left and right, scoring good, making good passes. reinhardt stands around. maybe its by design that he is the garbage man in front of the goal, but he was a first round pick. 

earlier in the year i hoped they resigned him, now, i think it might be time to move on

 

probably im wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pretty good hockey at 3-0-1.   Some warts have been exposed in the last two games but the team is learning and growing together.  

We are a top goalie and 3-4 skaters away from a great team.  Still a way to go but we should be in the thick of the playoff race for much longer than Christmas time.  

Agreed... Next year Cozens, Asplund, maybe a confident Tage, and a trade or signing for another decent winger, if UPL is who we think he is... and this team could be scary in the next couple of years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, miles said:

i dont want to make poor statements and i definitely dont know about hockey like many here, but reinhardt doesnt look really good most of the time. he seems mostly irrelevant to the plays. you have ollafson making shots left and right, scoring good, making good passes. reinhardt stands around. maybe its by design that he is the garbage man in front of the goal, but he was a first round pick. 

earlier in the year i hoped they resigned him, now, i think it might be time to move on

 

probably im wrong

If you can look beyond points or puck watching ... Reinhart is a highly effective player. He’s developed and developing nicely. He’s also one of the best if not THE best passer on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

@spndnchz can you have "trolling" replaced with "planting azaleas"? Thanks.

If only 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ... said:

Yup, take it in.

I really could get used to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, miles said:

i dont want to make poor statements and i definitely dont know about hockey like many here, but reinhardt doesnt look really good most of the time. he seems mostly irrelevant to the plays. you have ollafson making shots left and right, scoring good, making good passes. reinhardt stands around. maybe its by design that he is the garbage man in front of the goal, but he was a first round pick. 

earlier in the year i hoped they resigned him, now, i think it might be time to move on

 

probably im wrong

By the time Reinhart retires I suspect you will be wrong.  

He is very often tasked with screening the goalie, which is why you see him in front of the net. He has very good hand skills and a knack for tipping in the puck and picking up loose pucks.  

Reinhart is a smart player and good passer that can create opportunities for others.  He is solid defensively, and  is still improving.   His limitation is speed, he is a good skater but not with electric acceleration or speed.  He will rely on smarts and great hands.  

He is becoming a player like his father was at Calgary.  Overall very good but not flashy looking while doing it.  If he continues like his father he will have a long and successful career.  

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If you can look beyond points or puck watching ... Reinhart is a highly effective player. He’s developed and developing nicely. He’s also one of the best if not THE best passer on the team.

Every team needs a good play maker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I noticed about Risto tonight that rarely gets mentioned is his speed. He's fast. He closed the gap on a forward tonight and rubbed him out on the far boards turning a potentially dangerous play into a routine nothing.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ra Kru filter is Bull$h!t.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Why is there a filter?

I think a Mod wants to screw with PA.

It's actually pretty funny.

I just happen to like Ra Kru,… while at the same time pissing people off who hate it.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really couldn't watch this game closely because I was watching with family, but it was enjoyable to see goals and Jack points! Seemed like a lot of the guys who had rougher games were still rewarded with stats. Reminded me of the first two games against the Canadiens last year. Like, a lot. In fact, the last two games against these two opponents (CBJ, MTL) were eerie in their similarities to the October games against them last year. In a good way, because the Sabres were pretty good early last year. 

Two more points bby 

Seems like Dahlin takes a lot of penalties. 

Olofsson scores a lot. He's pretty quiet at even strength for now. But not bad, per say. 

Ralph really seems to use the third line (Mitts) sparingly. But I haven't looked at the numbers, it just feels that way. Seems justified based on what I've seen from them. Haven't hurt us, but haven't done too much to help since game 1. We'll see how their games change going forward

Being in WNY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being anywhere else on earth 

Hate seeing Montreal red take over the lower bowls on TV. Lotta empty seats there, I'd have loved to be sitting in one of them cheering on our boys

That was an interesting selection of players to play the OT power play. Miller now has two Eichel-like cross ice feeds for Johansson goals. His Zhitnik-esque shot is more endearing than frustrating

Eichel spent some shifts looking funky, and others looking like the best he's ever been. 

Keep smilin' and keep scorin' Jeffrey.

Florida up next - ***** I hate Sabres-Panthers games as much as I love Sabres-Habs games

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

One thing I noticed about Risto tonight that rarely gets mentioned is his speed. He's fast. He closed the gap on a forward tonight and rubbed him out on the far boards turning a potentially dangerous play into a routine nothing.

 

I saw a couple of fun plays where he smeared red into the walls

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it hasn’t been getting a ton of attention, but Ra Kru ( @PASabreFan Im missing the Zevon) has been consistently pushing the message that we have a world of offensive talent and ways to go on the way we play defence.

No one has called him on it. The Sabres? Offensive talent? Our Sabres?

But after four games, he has described us to a ‘T’

We are prone to breakdowns. And we can absolutely shoot our way out of them.

We are skilled. We pick corners and we make plays. We’ve had close to 40 shots in three of the four games. We’ve scored a minimum of three goals in every game, and we have 18 in four.

And damn are we exciting to watch.

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Dahlin had the game he always has. Some amazing play sprinkled with some really bad gaffs that for some reason seem to end up in our net.

He's 19. He's awesome.

The fun thing about Dahlin is that Ralph has now given us two games in which two things were notable (not tonight, the first two):

Dahlin's ice time seeming low and his spots picked carefully
a lack of the gaffe that has become typical/expected

Watch Ralph turn this kid into EK...but with Lidstrom defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So it hasn’t been getting a ton of attention, but Ra Kru ( @PASabreFan Im missing the Zevon) has been consistently pushing the message that we have a world of offensive talent and ways to go on the way we play defence.

No one has called him on it. The Sabres? Offensive talent? Our Sabres?

But after four games, he has described us to a ‘T’

We are prone to breakdowns. And we can absolutely shoot our way out of them.

We are skilled. We pick corners and we make plays. We’ve had close to 40 shots in three of the four games. We’ve scored a minimum of three goals in every game, and we have 18 in four.

And damn are we exciting to watch.

This made me smile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dudacek said:

So it hasn’t been getting a ton of attention, but Ra Kru ( @PASabreFan Im missing the Zevon) has been consistently pushing the message that we have a world of offensive talent and ways to go on the way we play defence.

No one has called him on it. The Sabres? Offensive talent? Our Sabres?

But after four games, he has described us to a ‘T’

We are prone to breakdowns. And we can absolutely shoot our way out of them.

We are skilled. We pick corners and we make plays. We’ve had close to 40 shots in three of the four games. We’ve scored a minimum of three goals in every game, and we have 18 in four.

And damn are we exciting to watch.

Olofsson's shooting ability and Johansson's skating/passing have allowed talent that was confined to one line last year to seep into other lines. It's doubled the amount of ice time that you can expect skilled plays and scoring chances to come reliably from our forwards. 

Imagine finding a way to get one more top six player, and the freedom that comes with it to either overpower a second offensive line or to turn a third one into something regularly dangerous.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...