GDT: Montreal at Buffalo Sabres Oct.9th, 7pm ET, MSG-RSN and WGR 550

jsb

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Olofsson's shooting ability and Johansson's skating/passing have allowed talent that was confined to one line last year to seep into other lines. It's doubled the amount of ice time that you can expect skilled plays and scoring chances to come reliably from our forwards. 

Imagine finding a way to get one more top six player, and the freedom that comes with it to either overpower a second offensive line or to turn a third one into something regularly dangerous.

It seems like Vesey woke up halfway through the game. Let's hope he can add something. Even his usual 20 would be nice.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It seems like Vesey woke up halfway through the game. Let's hope he can add something. Even his usual 20 would be nice.

Right, like as quiet as he and Mitts (since Pit) have been, they're going to get some points at some point, so hopefully when our top line isn't contributing to 4-5 goals per game (god that's awesome) there won't be a big drop off. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Olofsson's shooting ability and Johansson's skating/passing have allowed talent that was confined to one line last year to seep into other lines. It's doubled the amount of ice time that you can expect skilled plays and scoring chances to come reliably from our forwards. 

Imagine finding a way to get one more top six player, and the freedom that comes with it to either overpower a second offensive line or to turn a third one into something regularly dangerous.

This absolutely.

Skinner and Johansson are looking good together and Olofsson has produced like Skinner would be if he was on that line.

And don’t forget the push that comes from Joki and Miller (not to mention a blossoming Dahlin) on the back end.

On a completely different note, I think Vesey doesn't dig in all that much because he knows that when he does, his shoulders go up and his head goes down and he skates a lot like Milan Lucic. I can't blame him for wanting that.?

16 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m just so shocked about what a great pick up Johansson is. And Miller, too! 

Shocked? I mean ... actually shocked? I’m not. I’ve watched them on other teams. They’re both pretty solid.

Edited by Zamboni

This power play unit isn't just wild in its results, the passing plays are from another planet. We are really seeing the Stamkos-Kucherov opposite circle effect play out right in front of our eyes

And if Hedman owned the namesake for the role that pivots between them, Dahlin is going to steal it from him in short order

• Like (+1) 1

My game notes:

- Eichel started the game like Godzilla, then scored 2 sweet goals in the 2nd and was a major threat the entire game.  He did make poor plays on the SHG and the GTG though.  

- Reino had his 2nd lousy game in a row.  He was the only one of the big 5 forwards who was ineffective.  And his allegedly good skating betrayed him on the GTG.

- As I was hoping would be the case, the top PP is freaking great.  They look like an elite NHL unit.  

- Skinner is a great player.  And MoJo is looking that way too.  He has to be JB’s best FA signing, right?  Am I missing anyone?

- Mitts has been completely ineffective since game 1.  A few more like this and I’ll be ready to send him down in favor of Asplund.  

- VO is a gift from heaven.

- I can’t quite put my finger on the reasons/tactics that CBJ and MTL were able to apply much more offensive pressure than Pitt and NJ were.  It could’ve just been more intensity and talent, but it seems like there is something going on with the opposing forecheck that the Sabres aren’t adjusting to.  

- it was an exciting win, but the Sabres easily could’ve lost that game.  They didn’t play a defensively responsible game, and that includes experienced leaders like Eichel and Risto. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

This power play unit isn't just wild in its results, the passing plays are from another planet. We are really seeing the Stamkos-Kucherov opposite circle effect play out right in front of our eyes

And if Hedman owned the namesake for the role that pivots between them, Dahlin is going to steal it from him in short order

We will beat Tampa every time we play them this year.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sure, but if we don’t score that goal, when it’s time to change players, Dahlin would have been with the next group.  He is too good to not play in the OT format   

I cant agree with someone saying tonight was Dahlin’s worst game of his career.  He had a few bad ones last year.  Everyone makes errors and he is 19. 

Don't disagree with that part at all. He played poorly, but yes, he is 19 and it is highly possible he takes a small step back this year as he learns to play better D to go with his obvious offensive skills. He is still clearly a huge part of that full PP. Everyone is talking about Olofsson, but the speed and precision that Dahlin is bringing to the point is also key.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Nobody plays 60 minutes every game.

literally that is correct, but some do it better than others. Sabres have a habit of inconsistency in effort. So often a quick start with solid work is followed by another period where they seem to think it'll just keep happening and they coast a little. Sometimes this is shift to shift. Good teams don't score a PP goal and think ok this won is in the bag, they bear down harder and make it 2, 3...This is where your coaching and leadership comes into play. They have to play better with a lead or they will be in trouble later in the year, that's all I'm saying. 

It's coming though. You can see it little by little.

• Like (+1) 1

Observations after watching tape delay.

• Surprisingly few complaints about Sobotka the last half dozen pages.  Didn’t read the entire thread but has the hate dissipated?   Every game I see him play I feel like MoJo and Skinner are losing points.  His contributions are frustrating.  His lame attempt at a juicy rebound in the third didn’t even excite me b/c I saw who was taking it.  And isn’t he supposed to be great in face offs?
  • Nothing said on the Broadcast regarding Vesey on the top line the last few shifts.   Any reason for it?  Was Olofsson injured?   If it RK’s method of motivation, it failed.   Really disappointed in his play.
  • Can we now call Larsson/Zemgus/KO the third line?   They play third line 5v5 minutes, they play PK minutes, match up against FL#2 and FL#3 more than against any fourth lines, and they actually can be trusted in a close game.  I don’t think I saw the 4th line out there the last 8 minutes. 
  • Jack has an inherent ability to take over a game, and should have more 4 point nights this year playing with Oloffsson and Sam plus anchoring the new and improved PP.   Not sure why he seemingly takes nights off like against Columbus.  Dominant. 
  • With Sheary out, we have 5 legitimate Forwards.  Love the 3rd line grinders but scoring will be challenging for them.  Everyone else is replacement level.  
  • Bring Tage on the West coast roadie.  Has to be worth a look.  Unless things get better you can put Casey, Vesey or Vlad in the press-box.  
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This was a hell of a response by Eichel after the OT Loss on Monday 

What a recap, the 2nd goal from Eichle was amazing, that is our captain right there. Showing the boys what winning is all about, praise the lord, or satan, whatever.

GO SABRES! fk so nice to wake up to this

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

This absolutely.

Skinner and Johansson are looking good together and Olofsson has produced like Skinner would be if he was on that line.

And don’t forget the push that comes from Joki and Miller (not to mention a blossoming Dahlin) on the back end.

Olofsson has been ok on that line, but he hasn't produced like Skinner. All his goals are on the PP, so presumably he'd have them anyways even if he was skating elsewhere. Skinner scores his at ES. 

12 hours ago, Derrico said:

I’m in the gta.  Don’t have cable so I have nhl.tv and have watched all of the others.  Even if it was Toronto I could maybe see it but Montreal?  Says I’m blacked out for the area.  Wish it was like Sunday ticket where you actually get all games including local

they must have changed their policy then, I just got Sunday Ticket for the 1st time this year and the local (Bengals, Browns) are always blacked out and you have to watch the local channel that it is broadcasted on. I was thinking about getting NHL.tv, is it worth it other than the blackout of course?