Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

38 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I mean, you can't guarantee a cup for anyone, but there aren't more than 4 teams with better chances, and that's a place I'd kill to be 

Oh for sure.  Injuries are so random.  As are slumps, hot goaltenders and just plain puck luck.  All of those factors have a major influence on the final result but the goal is to be one of those top 5 or 6 too teams and hope it plays out right.

Interesting and thoughtful take - from a woman - on the Matthews incident. Frankly, I had not thought about the matter in this light.

Matthews’ intention in cornering that woman may just have been to frighten her without committing any further offenses or crimes. But it’s important to note that causing fear was considered amusing in the first place, and that a large swathe of the reaction has been to brush off concerns about what happened as though they’re nothing.

“You do not approach a female at 2 AM in the morning thinking it’s funny to see how she would react to get in her car,” said Fayola Dozithee, the woman involved, as reported by Katie Strang at The Athletic. “There’s three of you, there’s one of me. You could’ve done anything to me and I was at a disadvantage because of that.”

Details and reporting from Strang’s article on The Athletic also revealed that it was not the first time that Matthews had attempted to frighten a woman that night. But, per a friend that had been out with Matthews at the time, he “didn’t give a *****” about the potential consequences.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/09/26/why-the-auston-matthews-story-is-so-upsetting-to-so-many-people/

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Details and reporting from Strang’s article on The Athletic also revealed that it was not the first time that Matthews had attempted to frighten a woman that night. But, per a friend that had been out with Matthews at the time, he “didn’t give a *****” about the potential consequences.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/09/26/why-the-auston-matthews-story-is-so-upsetting-to-so-many-people/

Auston Matthews is a terrorist, confirmed.   

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

“You do not approach a female at 2 AM in the morning thinking it’s funny to see how she would react to get in her car,” said Fayola Dozithee, the woman involved, as reported by Katie Strang at The Athletic. “There’s three of you, there’s one of me. You could’ve done anything to me and I was at a disadvantage because of that.”

The woman was alone in her car at 2am.   3 men try to get into her car.  As a security officer, if she carried a gun, this could have ended much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It also says something (not as bad, but) different about his character that Dubas first found out via twitter when we did, months later.

This is a great point.  At his age, and in his position, my phone calls would have been dad, lawyer/agent, GM, in that order, unless lawyer/agent wanted to handle the GM call (which is their function).

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

The Maple Leafs have a full-time security man. Under normal circumstances, when a player finds himself in some kind of difficulty, one of the first calls should go to the security man.

On most teams, the security men are former police officers. They know how to work the system. They know how to make problems disappear.

For years around Toronto, security men for the professional franchises have been making incidents disappear. Big-name players in big-time trouble that you never heard about.

When Matthews got in trouble, Steve Walker, the Leafs security man should have been called. He wasn’t. He, too, is a former police officer.

Between the legal minds around Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and the security acumen, the Matthews situation could have probably been put to rest before it ever became public.

This is from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

So that’s why we never heard of the  debauchery of Biron, Drury or LaFontaine. ?

Seriously, I have heard a few bad stories of ex-players from around the league that never made it to light. So not surprised this is a needed thing for all teams. And I’m sure it’s all sports and not just pro sports.

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. 

If Simmons thinks a former GTA police officer is going to have pull in Arpaio country, he needs his head examined.  OTOH...

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So that’s why we never heard of the  debauchery of Biron, Drury or LaFontaine. ?

Seriously, I have heard a few bad stories of ex-players from around the league that never made it to light. So not surprised this is a needed thing for all teams. And I’m sure it’s all sports and not just pro sports.

Mostly.  It just isn't going to work with a former Canadian police officer and an incident in Arizona.  And I'm not sure about college sports; there are way too many stories, every year, about college athletes.  (And the "minor" college athletes, like volleyball players or gymnasts, or whatever, they're not going to get protection unless their name is Brock Turner.)

Edited by Eleven