Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Kronwall retired

So weird.  I remember when Nick Lidstrom came up as a rookie the year we moved to Detroit; I always thought of him through that filter of a young stud defenseman and he played that way most of his career.

Then came "Little Nicky" Kronwall, the kid that came after the other kid.  And now he's retiring.  Man, I'm getting old.

From the article in the Detroit Free Press,

Kronwall will join the front office as the new advisor to general manager Steve Yzerman. Kris Draper, who served as assistant to the general manager under Ken Holland, is now the director of amateur scouting. 

So next time you complain about how inbred the Buffalo front office is, remember it's pretty much that way everywhere.

Edited by Doohickie

47 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I read that this means Ryan Miller is the last man standing from the 1999 NHL Draft.

Edit: Nope, he has to beat Craig Anderson

Thanks for making me feel old.  That would have been my first draft eligible year.  I still have no idea why everyone passed on me each time.

• Haha (+1) 1

Why do I have a bad feeling that Sabres are going to be in the bottom 5 of the league again. I just don't see any improvement on this roster unless coaching was a much bigger problem than I thought. I think the defense will definitely be better but the offense looks God awful yet again. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Why do I have a bad feeling that Sabres are going to be in the bottom 5 of the league again. I just don't see any improvement on this roster unless coaching was a much bigger problem than I thought. I think the defense will definitely be better but the offense looks God awful yet again. 

I was going to post something about looking forward to low scoring games, except I remembered our goalies...

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Remember we have a new goalie coach and a new top right side to our defense (Montour, Joki, Miller) 

Exactly this.  If you're hoping for a playoff push these are the reasons for excitement.  This D seems very unknown as a result of the new bodies.  But add a big step to Dahlin development and it could be dynamite. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-clayton-keller-reach-eight-year-deal-1.1360405

Clayton Keller just signed an 8 year extension.  This should at least ease some people's fears that all of the high profile entry level guys (coughDAHLINcough) will start to follow the approach of this year's class.  That long term security still appeals to some.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, shrader said:

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-clayton-keller-reach-eight-year-deal-1.1360405

Clayton Keller just signed an 8 year extension.  This should at least ease some people's fears that all of the high profile entry level guys (coughDAHLINcough) will start to follow the approach of this year's class.  That long term security still appeals to some.

It's happening!

Just now, shrader said:

Not yet.  He still has one year left on his ELC.

Not specifically referring to Dahlin, just that dominoes are finally starting to fall again.  So, we may actually see what a Ristolainen is worth on the market afterall.

No longer so quiet on the western front.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Not specifically referring to Dahlin, just that dominoes are finally starting to fall again.  So, we may actually see what a Ristolainen is worth on the market afterall.

No longer so quiet on the western front.

Those RFAs are running out of time regardless too. They have another 3-4 weeks, tops