Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

What exactly makes one qualified to be on a diversity council? The concept of “qualified” is incredibly overrated and overthought.

In as much as this is a PR effort to inspire (or make it look like they're inspiring) minorities, women, people of color etc. to enter the world of hockey and try to play, coach, manage etc., I think the main qualification is someone with a compelling story of overcoming prejudice and discrimination who "made it" in hockey. I don't think Kim brings that. She's the perfect face for the effort, as Judge Smell suggested, but the suit is empty.

I guess you could have someone who has achieved a high level of success in the game without overcoming those issues, but I don't think that fits Kim, either. She's had no success, or virtually no success. Game presentation, ticket pricing, concessions, uniforms, broadcasting, social media, that's Kim. How's she doing, Sabres fans? Her husband (or she and her husband) bought the opportunities they are both underachieving at, he in the role of quasi-hockey operations president. If Kim Pegula had sent out resumes for team president positions before she named herself president of the Sabres, she wouldn't have gotten one response and it wouldn't have been because she's a Korean-American woman.

• Like (+1) 1

I think ignoring where she comes from and where she is now is certainly one way to be sure your mind doesn’t define that as success. She’s a successful person. Her teams have not been successful (though I think Bills fans are very satisfied with where the team has gotten and where it’s heading under them).

I don’t need the diversity council leader to have Stanley Cups. That’s not what such a venture is about.

• Like (+1) 1

Middle class as in she was working in the restaurant she met Terry in because she was saving money so she could fly to Alaska so she could make money working near a fishing camp. And something tells me many of those throwing away her past have never had to deal with wondering whether or not their parents loved them or considered them to be a mistake. It doesn’t matter if someone else wants you, there’s something to be said for that. 

I never thought I’d be sticking up for Kim Pegula but there’s a load of, in my opinion, disgusting nonsense being talked about here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I think ignoring where she comes from and where she is now is certainly one way to be sure your mind doesn’t define that as success. She’s a successful person. Her teams have not been successful (though I think Bills fans are very satisfied with where the team has gotten and where it’s heading under them).

I don’t need the diversity council leader to have Stanley Cups. That’s not what such a venture is about.

Youre forgetting the main tenet of interpreting corporate actions:  it’s always just about the money. 

Women are generally poorer negotiators and having more female execs is cheaper for the owners. Plus, the league has been failing to cater to a female audience over the years, despite thrusting every pink and black jersey in front of them they could. They want the PR and look at it as a win win. 

Kaepernicks/WHL lawsuits/etc are expensive and they want to be proactive to prevent them. 

3 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I wonder how much the uncertainty about the Cap is affecting JBot with Risto.  Several of the potential suitors have almost no room to manoeuver and may "force" him to take on an extra cap dump to make the money work out.

I am at 98.6 degrees.  That is greater than 90, so certainly I am obtuse.  (sorry)

They are still touring?

Dahlin finished way behind Binnington in the Calder voting which I don't agree with, but Dahlin did have a fairly sizeable gap on Heiskanen: Miro was actually closer to Tkachuk in the voting. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If Kim Pegula had sent out resumes for team president positions before she named herself president of the Sabres, she wouldn't have gotten one response and it wouldn't have been because she's a Korean-American woman.

And if a frog had wings it wouldn’t bust its a.ss a ‘hoppin.

Also, if you read the excerpt upthread, you may have noted that she’s from Korea but likely of Japanese descent.

Your objection to her on this diversity council is perplexing. They needed an owner to chair it. Who were they gonna pick? Jacobs? Melnyk? C’mon.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This thread’s premature. Let’s get this merged with the other 2019 offseason thread (and get that one unlocked (sheesh)).

I make this thread at the same time every year 

This is a thread for discussing general league-wide news.  Things like rule changes, uniform changes, players'/coaches' lives, yes, even league initiatives, etc. There are threads for trades, free agency, draft, etc.  

This is not a thread for pushing personal agendas.  I won't even mention Lindy Ruff (well, except for in this sentence) unless there's actual news about him. 

If it devolves like the last thread did, I'm locking it.

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I just don't understand how this is any different than the Around one lol

In this one we will question what makes Daryl Katz qualified to be involved with a professional sports team instead of the Pegulas. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In this one we will question what makes Daryl Katz qualified to be involved with a professional sports team instead of the Pegulas. 

Please don't do this.

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I just don't understand how this is any different than the Around one lol

It's not the new season yet.

Edited by Eleven