Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Ullmark Agrees to One Year 1.325 Million AAV Deal

Recommended Posts

Ullmark’s Ask 2.65 Million 

Sabres Offer 800k 

per Friedman.

 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little surprised by that Sabres offer. His lack of development under a goalie coach that was fired doesn't even get him a little slack.

I'm assuming the Sabres probably offered him a higher number but his agent rejected that, so the Sabres are just low-balling to hopefully get Linus at the number they originally offered.

Just now, Zamboni said:

I can see Ullmark getting over 2 mil. a year. 

No chance.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah, that's a bit much. 

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ullmark’s Ask 2.65 Million

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I can see Ullmark getting over 2 mil. a year. 

Maybe on a 2 year deal, no way for 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ullmark’s Ask 2.65 Million 

Sabres Offer 800k 

per Friedman.

I have to side with the Sabres on this one.  Maybe $950k.  He isn't worth more than a million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t say he will or that it’s right. But I can see it happening with the crazy contracts being handed out. And the average salary for NHL backups. I hope he gets closer to 1 mil. or so.

Edited by Zamboni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He made 800k last season with a 750k cap hit.  The Sabres qualifying offer had to be 840K (800 * 1.05).  Can we really offer less then the qualifying offer in arbitration?   

He’s going to get 1.5.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll guess 1.2, which is a 50% raise from last season. He started merely 34 times and has played in less than 70 nhl games in his career. I can't imagine a (hopefully, but not yet proven) reliable backup goalie gets much more in his 2d true season as an nhl player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He made 800k last season with a 750k cap hit.  The Sabres qualifying offer had to be 840K (800 * 1.05).  Can we really offer less then the qualifying offer in arbitration?   

He’s going to get 1.5.  

I think a little under. 1.375 or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He made 800k last season with a 750k cap hit.  The Sabres qualifying offer had to be 840K (800 * 1.05).  Can we really offer less then the qualifying offer in arbitration?   

He’s going to get 1.5.  

After the player rejects the qualifying offer, the team can offer anything they chose.

On a 1 year deal, would expect that $1.5MM to be the ceiling on his deal.  If Sabres chose 2 year (doubt they would, but if) then would expect average to be $1.5-$2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is clear, JBOT is not rewarding poor performance.  Who knows what the arbitrator will give, but JBOT is holding the line on Larry, Girgs, E-ROD and now Linus.  Good for him.  As this rate, Remi Elie may have to pay the Sabres to play.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tradition of not paying players who haven’t proven themselves continues for Botterill.

Ullmark has a case that the Sabres use him close to how they use Hutton and thus he deserves close to Hutton.

But it’s a weak case. To this point in his career he is an OK backup, which has a going rate of about $1.5 million per.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The tradition of not paying players who haven’t proven themselves continues for Botterill.

Ullmark has a case that the Sabres use him close to how they use Hutton and thus he deserves close to Hutton.

But it’s a weak case. To this point in his career he is an OK backup, which has a going rate of about $1.5 million per.

 

Arguing one season's worth of usage against Hutton's established career as a platoon style goalie doesn't really do Ullmark any favors.

You couldn't steal the starting job from a career backup, Linus?

Not a lot of ground for him to stand on. Hutton's experience makes him more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

One thing is clear, JBOT is not rewarding poor performance.  Who knows what the arbitrator will give, but JBOT is holding the line on Larry, Girgs, E-ROD and now Linus.  Good for him.  As this rate, Remi Elie may have to pay the Sabres to play.

I'm not sure why the Sabres gave Elie a qualifying offer to begin with.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The tradition of not paying players who haven’t proven themselves continues for Botterill.

Ullmark has a case that the Sabres use him close to how they use Hutton and thus he deserves close to Hutton.

But it’s a weak case. To this point in his career he is an OK backup, which has a going rate of about $1.5 million per.

 

It’s not really his case that he wants/thinks he’ll be paid like Hutton. The flaw is in the arbitration system here: they almost always “split the difference”, so the player goes way high knowing it’ll be in the middle. 

Botterill (or any GM) would save himself a bit of time (Sabres represent half of the total league wide arbitration hearings remaining) if he just went to all these guys and offered them a deal right in the middle of the two asks. It’s what always happens anyways. 

- - - 

To the bolded, (as far as I know) Botterill’s first (and biggest) contract was paying Eichel 10 mil per before he had come close to proving to be worth that much. I think your statement the other day about Botterill being reluctant to pay non-core rings more true. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unscientific babbling:

 

Using Evan Rodrigues award as a model:

Evan Rodrigues: $2.65M

Sabres: $1.1M

Arbitrator: $2M = 58% of difference + Sabres

 

Linus Ullmark: $2.65M

Sabres: $0.8M

Arbitrator: 58% of difference + Sabres = $1.87M

 

Using Carter Hutton games played as a model:

Carter Hutton: 50GP, $2.75M

Linus Ullmark: 38GP / 50GP * $2.75M = $2.09M

 

Using Carter Hutton shots against made as a model:

Carter Hutton: 1541SA, $2.75M

Linus Ullmark: 1146SA / 1541SA * $2.75M = $2.05M

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tondas said:

One thing is clear, JBOT is not rewarding poor performance.  Who knows what the arbitrator will give, but JBOT is holding the line on Larry, Girgs, E-ROD and now Linus.  Good for him.  As this rate, Remi Elie may have to pay the Sabres to play.

 

57 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure why the Sabres gave Elie a qualifying offer to begin with.

@Tondas lol.  

I thought he was on a 2 way deal last year but apparently not.  He made 735K on a one way deal last year.  I have no idea why you’d qualify him to pay him nearly 800K to play in the AHL because he isn’t making the Sabres.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought he was on a 2 way deal last year but apparently not.  He made 735K on a one way deal last year.  I have no idea why you’d qualify him to pay him nearly 800K to play in the AHL because he isn’t making the Sabres.  

They probably actually like Elie as a quality AHL forward and a guy they are comfortable with on the 4th line or as 13th guy when there is an injury.  The AHL team is going to be good again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

 

@Tondas lol.  

I thought he was on a 2 way deal last year but apparently not.  He made 735K on a one way deal last year.  I have no idea why you’d qualify him to pay him nearly 800K to play in the AHL because he isn’t making the Sabres.  

Elie was a solid 2nd round prospect that Dallas developed but eventually decided wasn’t going to make it and waived.

I have no problem with picking him up on waivers as a no-risk reclamation prospect. But I am not sure what he has done to warrant a one-way contract, or why he was even qualified. I understand that we lack fast, physical forechecking wingers in the system, but you have to be able to translate that to the NHL.

Elie is essentially Baptiste or Bailey in terms of his career. You don’t go to arbitration with guys like that, you replace them.

Through Botterill’s actions, I can only conclude he still believes Elie has an NHL future and that’s not a positive on his talent evaluation ledger.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curt said:

They probably actually like Elie as a quality AHL forward and a guy they are comfortable with on the 4th line or as 13th guy when there is an injury.  The AHL team is going to be good again.

Except you can get better players at both levels like Lazar for 700K.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except you can get better players at both levels like Lazar for 700K.

I’m not saying anything definitively, but I don’t think it’s obvious that Lazar is better than Elie at either level.  Al least not enough for me to care at all whether Pegula is paying them 700k or 800k when it’s not going to impact the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one case where it's a shame that they don't have the baseball system of one offer or the other.  He's worth a lot closer to the team figure than he is to his figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...