2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

43 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it has more to do with Varlamov having a better track record then Lehner having a career year. Varlamov has shown he is a good goalie, Lehner has to show last year wasn't a fluke and that he can stay clean. It's probably why he took the one year from Chicago cause it allows him to try again next offseason if he puts up good numbers again.

It’s way more complicated than this, I know... but Lehner has the better career save percentage.

I disagree that Varlamov has proven anything more than Lehner has. He’s just been inconsistent for longer.

He appeared to have a good year two years ago yet Colorado spent big to replace him the following offseason (Grubauer) then let him walk a year after that.

I’d rather have Lehner now and long-term.

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

If you believe in the system far more than either goalie...

Bingo.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

No.  The Sabres gave away the '21 3rd for Vesey.  They made Aho unmatchable by trading for a different Cane last year.

Ahh, right.. well then.  Either way.. I'm not too worried about it (you knew that).  Botterill seems to be much more a trade person and has said so.  Right now a lot of teams are doing really stupid things that are not going to amount to much next season.

It should be fun.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

Ahh, right.. well then.  Either way.. I'm not too worried about it (you knew that).  Botterill seems to be much more a trade person and has said so.  Right now a lot of teams are doing really stupid things that are not going to amount to much next season.

It should be fun.

There were not many contracts handed out today that would have made sense for the Sabres. They need a 2C and they will probably have to get him in a trade.

Something good will shake loose from another team that overspent.

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

There were not many contracts handed out today that would have made sense for the Sabres. They need a 2C and they will probably have to get him in a trade.

The Nyquist And Donskoi Ones made a lot of sense, however I think they both said no to Buffalo’s Overtures. 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

What does the Barrie/Kerfoot deal mean for how much Toronto can pay Marner?

TOR has $11m in cap space for Marner and Kerfoot.   Barrie is an UFA next season. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I really thought we had a good shot at Zuccarello and he would have made us a lot better but I'm not shocked that we basically did nothing.

Since we did nothing, we can offer sheet Marner now :)

and Winnipeg is desperate for right side D so let's pry some of their forward talent away for Risto and then see what it amounts to.  

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I really thought we had a good shot at Zuccarello and he would have made us a lot better but I'm not shocked that we basically did nothing.

Since we did nothing, we can offer sheet Marner now ?

and Winnipeg is desperate for right side D so let's pry some of their forward talent away for Risto and then see what it amounts to.  

We dont know, we can only speculate. Its sad that he went to Wilds though, he is a very good player.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

I just read an article that the Canadians were considering making an offer to Brayden Point instead of Aho. I wonder if Botts be wise to make him an offer while Aho is still in limbo?

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I just read an article that the Canadians were considering making an offer to Brayden Point instead of Aho. I wonder if Botts be wise to make him an offer while Aho is still in limbo?

He's not in limbo. He signed an offer sheet and Carolina has 7 days to match

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I remain eternally grateful to Berglund for losing his love of the game. Thanks for the cap space, buddy! 

Just now, Derrico said:

‘Best way to reestablish himself.’ Sounds like he wants to be back in the nhl at some point.

It reads to me like "please God somebody other than Edmonton and Vancouver call me."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoPre said:

Toronto may have serious problems in defense after the 2019-20 season. 

1416D14C-7428-4665-90FE-CA51D6741865.png

Absolutely.  They gave up kadri to take another run at this thing.  On paper they look very strong again.  Can’t blame dubas.  But like last year; if they don’t win this coming season there will be another wave of cap crunch next summer.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

‘Best way to reestablish himself.’ Sounds like he wants to be back in the nhl at some point.

He'll be back in the NHL before the All Star Break.

3 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Toronto may have serious problems in defense after the 2019-20 season. 

1416D14C-7428-4665-90FE-CA51D6741865.png

Pfft, a bunch of other GMs will just step up to help Toronto out.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

He'll be back in the NHL before the All Star Break.

Pfft, a bunch of other GMs will just step up to help Toronto out.

To your first point that is depressing.  I’m glad we have the cap relief but he would rather retire than play for the sabres and he has no interest in retiring. That’s not good. 

Ya the leafs got some breaks in the past but this summer wasn’t crazy. Carolina made them pay a first round pick for ONE YEAR of Marleau.  The second trade doesn’t look as lopsided as I initially thought when looking at the contracts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.