Are the Sabres switching to Royal Blue for their Jerseys?

Brawndo

I've noticed that this is not uncommon with products on websites, such as with sneakers.  The color choices often do not match the product very well.  I think it's because they use generic choices for color selection with one overarching color for blue, red, green, etc.  

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the picture is always more correct, rather than the generic color button.  They're still gonna be navy, is my bet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

After some research, they use that same blue button for several shades of blue for many different teams.  As a glimmer of hope, they do have a darker blue button they use for Columbus' jersey.  The same light blue button is very prevalent though, and covers many blues from Tampa Bay to Vancouver, the Rangers, Toronto, etc.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thwomp! said:

After some research, they use that same blue button for several shades of blue for many different teams.  As a glimmer of hope, they do have a darker blue button they use for Columbus' jersey.  The same light blue button is very prevalent though, and covers many blues from Tampa Bay to Vancouver, the Rangers, Toronto, etc.

Good catch, they are probably staying with Navy. 

Sorry @WildCard

Our expansion cousins revealed their anniversary season uniforms yesterday.

Minor tweaks to the current jersey, plus a variation of the original and the late ‘80s blacks with the skate.

10A7DEB7-98D7-4316-95D5-188F60B4E5AF.jpeg

I bet bet big money we’ll do something similar and we’ll see royal blue at some point this year.

Didn’t @CallawaySabres have inside info that was the plan?

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Minor tweaks to the current jersey, plus a variation of the original and the late ‘80s blacks with the skate.

I bet bet big money we’ll do something similar and we’ll see royal blue at some point this year.

Maybe as an alternate, but I know there's something about only being able to change the primary jersey every 3 years and we changed it when the league switched manufacturers. Maybe an exception can be granted, but I'm not expecting a change to the primary this year.

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe as an alternate, but I know there's something about only being able to change the primary jersey every 3 years and we changed it when the league switched manufacturers. Maybe an exception can be granted, but I'm not expecting a change to the primary this year.

If I remember correctly, he heard we will rotate through our history and announce we are reverting to the royals permanently at the end of the year.

As far as that three-year thing goes, do you really think removing the pit stains counts as a change? More of a tweak, no?

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If I remember correctly, he heard we will rotate through our history and announce we are reverting to the royals permanently at the end of the year.

As far as that three-year thing goes, do you really think removing the pit stains counts as a change? More of a tweak, no?

It's the NHL, I'm not comfortable assuming any kind of sound logic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Which probably wentinto the thinking on removing the "pit stains" with the Adidas unis.  (3 years prior to '20-'21' which was originally going to officially be the 50th, so no league rules to try to skirt.)

But with all the exceptions the league grants for alternates, "vintage," Winter Classic, Stadium Series, etc. would expect (but wouldn't have any money on it as we're dealing with both the Sabres (who've screwed up slam dunks on this before) & the NHL (which almost seems to take pride in messing up the idiot proof solutions)) them to end the year as @CallawaySabres predicted a couple of years ago with new royal blues moving forward.  In a worst case they should be able to call those their 50th Anniversary unisthis year & then "officially" have new sweaters (which are identical to the 50ths minus a patch) for post lockout.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That is what I was told 2 Summers ago so I just hope they did not change their mind. He also showed me the Winter Classic jersey many months before the reveal so I have no reason not to believe him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd guess that Royal Blue will be an alternate variation for a 3rd jersey with maybe a 4th being an updated Red n Black goat head. I believe also that we see the 50th anniversary jersey at the draft. 

Edited by LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd guess that Royal Blue will be an alternate variation for a 3rd jersey with maybe a 4th being an updated Red n Black goat head. I believe also that we see the 50th anniversary jersey at the draft. 

If they do roll through the unis, would expect the originals w/out the shoulder patches 1st (though always preferred them with the patches), goat heads, butter knives briefly, slugs (shudders), currents, then 50th anniversaries.

Absolutely don't expect the "turdburgers" and doubt the 3rds with the Buffalo script logo, but could see that for a game or 2.  Though expecting the butter knives (wore them for a few seasons & only opportunity to add a red uni), wouldn't put money on it.

Seriously doubt they'd consider having originals w/ & w/out shoulder patches and also currents w/ & w/out pit stains as those were fairly minor variations.  Though originals with randomly shaped Buffalos could be a nice homage to the early 80's unis.

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

As a newcomer to sabres fandom, can someone explain why royal blue is important? (Not trolling, just ignorant of history).

Simply put, it's just that the Sabres jerseys from 1970 to 1996 featured a much more vibrant shade of blue.

e4ccef6005698e76f5b8f4e461db71de.jpg

They changed it in 1996-97, despite literally no one wanting that.

And somehow, 23 years of fan screaming later, they STILL haven't put it back to the way it was.

It is, perhaps, the most protracted avoidance of easy fan service in the history of fan service.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.