Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GASabresIUFAN

How Would You Fix the Sabres?

What Should Be Jbot’s Big Move This Summer?  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. What Should Be Jbot’s Next Big Move This Summer?

    • Acquire a top 6 center
      13
    • Acquire a legit no .1 goalie
      2
    • Acquire a top 4 shutdown D
      0
    • Acquire at least one top 6 winger
      2
    • Add more physical depth forwards
      1
    • Trade up to get a top 4 draft pick
      0


Recommended Posts

Quote

 

My first attempt at fixing the Sabres.

1) Trade Scandella for a 3rd.

2) Trade our 31st to Toronto for Kapanen. Sign him for 5 years at 4.25

3) Re-sign McCabe 3 years at 3.5 per year

4) Re-sign Erod.  2 years at 1.5 per year

5) Sign Donskoi at 3 years at 3.0 per year

6) Trade Nylander to Minn for Zucker who has 4 years left at 5.5

7) Sign Marcus Johansson 3 year 4 per year.

8.) Trade for Alex Martinez who has 2 years left at 4.0 with the 3rd we get for Scandella and Sheary and a prospect.

9) buyout out Sobatka, waive Hunwick

10) re-sign Ullmark - 1 year at 1.0 and Smith - 1 year 700K

Lineup and cost

Forwards - Cost $51,842,000

Skinner Eichel Kapanen

Zucker Johansson Reinhart

Sheary Mitts Olofsson

Wilson Erod Okposo

Smith

Defense - Cost $24,342,857

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Martinez Bogo

Nelson

Goalies - Cost 3,750,000

Hutton - Ullmark

Total Lineup Cost with CoHo, Sobotka and Hunwick buyout/waivers = $80.727.

 

EDIT: I realized after I wrote this post that I can’t sign Donskoi and Johansson and have enough money to re-sign Montour, Reinhart, Olofsson and Mitts after next year, so I choose to keep the center. Instead we’ll play out Sheary’s final year (cap hit the same) and open up the roster spot for a kid in 2020.

 

I wrote the above in a different thread, but I thought it would make an interesting topic on it's own.  How would you fix the Sabres?  Please keep it "real" and stay within the cap and propose deals that could happen.  It will be interesting to see if any of us can even remotely guess what Jbot is thinking and or gets done.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80-90% of whether or not the Sabres become "fixed", and to what degree, depends on the growth of the cornerstones currently here, IMO. It's all about Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, and Dahlin (with the caveat that goaltending needs to be at the very least stabilized). 

If Eichel takes another step and becomes a true superstar, Top-10 C in the league, if Mittelstadt lives up to his potential and becomes a 2C with the talent of a 1, if Reinhart becomes an 80 point player, if Dahlin continues transitioning into the Franchise D he's expected to be, the degree of difficulty on what Botterill (or ANY GM) has to do is low. How many teams have franchise C and D? That becomes lethal with a ceiling-Mittelstadt at 2C.

Botterill has to shelter Mittelstadt with a C addition this summer, absolutely crucial.  Skinner is going to get his 30. If Botterill can additionally add a top 6 RW to things, we have the cap space that with good drafting, I have a hard time seeing how this this thing doesn't get turned around. 

If Eichel and Reinhart cap out at about where they are now, and drafting Mittelstadt proves to be a misfire long term, or Botterill gaffes on his off-season mandates this summer, I'd guess even the excellence of Dahlin would only be enough to provide Botterill's replacement with a nice head start on his new vision for the Sabres. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thorny said:

80-90% of whether or not the Sabres become "fixed", and to what degree, depends on the growth of the cornerstones currently here, IMO. It's all about Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, and Dahlin (with the caveat that goaltending needs to be at the very least stabilized). 

If Eichel takes another step and becomes a true superstar, Top-10 C in the league, if Mittelstadt lives up to his potential and becomes a 2C with the talent of a 1, if Reinhart becomes an 80 point player, if Dahlin continues transitioning into the Franchise D he's expected to be, the degree of difficulty on what Botterill (or ANY GM) has to do is low. How many teams have franchise C and D? That becomes lethal with a ceiling-Mittelstadt at 2C.

Botterill has to shelter Mittelstadt with a C addition this summer, absolutely crucial.  Skinner is going to get his 30. If Botterill can additionally add a top 6 RW to things, we have the cap space that with good drafting, I have a hard time seeing how this this thing doesn't get turned around. 

If Eichel and Reinhart cap out at about where they are now, and drafting Mittelstadt proves to be a misfire long term, or Botterill gaffes on his off-season mandates this summer, I'd guess even the excellence of Dahlin would only be enough to provide Botterill's replacement with a nice head start on his new vision for the Sabres. 

Ok so how would you do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Don't trade away a first round pick from 2019 for a veteran ... wait. We already did. Nevermind. 

2. Draft bigger, more physical players. We are way too finesse and too small. We need physical, fast, and powerful skaters. The game may not have as many fights but it is dominated by big players who can skate and shoot. 

- Obviously a kid like Kaapo Kakko would be great but we won too many frigging games down the stretch to have a shot (dumb!). 

If we can draft either Podkolzin, Boldy, or Cozens with our first pick I'll take any of those three. 

Just stay away from smaller players. We need big, physical, skaters. 

3. Pray that Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has successful hip surgeries and becomes the top end goaltender that everyone hopes. He is listed as one of the top 5 prospects by Chris Peters at ESPN. Peters comments: 

"Finland native Luukkonen was nothing short of dominant for Sudbury in what will likely be his only OHL season. UPL also dominated the World Junior Championship, backstopping Finland to gold with a .932 save percentage while earning a tournament all-star nod. He's a massive goalie at 6-foot-5 and 212 pounds, but he is also very explosive. Offseason hip surgery may slow his progress, but the 20-year-old looks like he could be an impact goalie in the NHL in the relatively near future."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/26786645/nhl-prospect-year-why-cale-makar-franchise-defenseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1)  We already made a critical move; got someone who apparently can coach.  His assistants need to be top flight.

2)  Trade the St. Louis pick for a solid player with some years on his contract.

3)  Get some much needed grit on this team.

4)  Resign ERod and McCabe.

5)  Pray hard that young guys like Nylander and Mits truly develop.

6)  Come up with an effective power play and forecheck.

7)  Shake the Buffalo sports curse, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Trade for RoR

Reinhart, the late first and a prospect sweetener should get it done. He fills out 2C role. Imagine that center depth...

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROR derangement syndrome.  Move on.  It's about how we make this team better going forward.  Stop living in the past.  

OK wise men.  If STL can get lucky on a goalie and add 2 centers to get them over the top so can we, except we probably only need one center and not one as good as ROR either.  We also need a few wingers.  This is not an impossible task.  

 

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest hurdle has been done. Fire Housley.

Next hurdle was to acquire a good coach. By all accounts RK seems (key word seems) to be.

Next hurdle was to sign Skinner. 

Next hurdle is to acquire a good solid 2nd line center.

Next hurdle is to have key guys already on the team to continue to develop well. 

I believe if those things happen, this team can make playoffs IF the coaching staff succeeds in getting the most out of everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

ROR derangement syndrome.  Move on.  It's about how we make this team better going forward.  Stop living in the past.  

OK wise men.  If STL can get lucky on a goalie and add 2 centers to get them over the top so can we, except we probably only need one center and not one as good as ROR either.  We also need a few wingers.  This is not an impossible task.  

 

They also found a sucker to take on their dead wood in Berglund and Sobotka. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all what needs to be done,  put your ideas out there and say who you'd acquire/sign/add to this group to get us over the hump and back into the playoffs.  Why is everyone so gun shy about offering ideas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The biggest hurdle has been done. Fire Housley.

Next hurdle was to acquire a good coach. By all accounts RK seems (key word seems) to be.

Next hurdle was to sign Skinner. 

Next hurdle is to acquire a good solid 2nd line center.  Who?  What are you paying and giving up?

Next hurdle is to have key guys already on the team to continue to develop well. Who? Mitts, Dahlin? Others? What role will they play?

I believe if those things happen, this team can make playoffs IF the coaching staff succeeds in getting the most out of everyone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok so how would you do it?

 

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We all what needs to be done,  put your ideas out there and say who you'd acquire/sign/add to this group to get us over the hump and back into the playoffs.  Why is everyone so gun shy about offering ideas.  

I just feel like the names we all talk about for these types of things that are "out there" represent A) such a large pool that it seems a difficult exercise for me, personally to try and guess who the acquisitions might be and B) don't include a large portion of names that'll find themselves on the move this summer, that hadn't been speculated about at all (at least in regards to Buffalo). 

I'm comfortable speaking in a more general sense, ie - they need a 2C, but trying to pinpoint a specific guy is something I usually pass on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I will give this a shot

I acquire JT Miller for pick 31 to be be my 2C until Casey is ready

I bury Sobotka and trade Marco Scandella to the Habs for a 3rd to clear salary.

I send that 3rd or the Blues 2nd next year along with Johan Larsson to Vegas for Cody Eakin to be my checking centre

I sign Jordan Eberle for top six scoring

 

Skinner Eichel Reinhart Miller Eberle Eakin Sheary, Okposo, Rodrigues Girgensons Wilson

Mittelstadt, Thompson, Olofsson, Nylander Smith Asplund fighting to make some of those guys redundant.

Krueger to deploy as he sees fit.

 

Dahlin Risto

McCabe Montour

Pilut Bogosian (praying these guys are healthy)

Hunwick Nelson

 

 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We all what needs to be done,  put your ideas out there and say who you'd acquire/sign/add to this group to get us over the hump and back into the playoffs.  Why is everyone so gun shy about offering ideas.  

The Toldyasos and Woesaremes are still enjoying their victory parade over ROR's Cup win. They'll be a minute.

 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

OK I will give this a shot

I acquire JT Miller for pick 31 to be be my 2C until Casey is ready

I bury Sobotka and trade Marco Scandella to the Habs for a 3rd to clear salary.

I send that 3rd or the Blues 2nd next year along with Johan Larsson to Vegas for Cody Eakin to be my checking centre

I sign Jordan Eberle for top six scoring

 

Skinner Eichel Reinhart Miller Eberle Eakin Sheary, Okposo, Rodrigues Girgensons Wilson

Mittelstadt, Thompson, Olofsson, Nylander Smith Asplund fighting to make some of those guys redundant.

Krueger to deploy as he sees fit.

 

Dahlin Risto

McCabe Montour

Pilut Bogosian (praying these guys are healthy)

Hunwick Nelson

 

 

I'm good with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move Ralph Kruger to president of hockey ops.  Woulda hired Tippett as HC, but that ship has sailed, so give a big offer to Sheldon Keefe.

Trade/release Girgensons and Larsson.

Trade Risto for anything fair, maybe package him with a pick to move up a few spots in the draft to nab Turcotte.

Acquire a proven veteran starting goalie.   

Target a C in free agency and bottom 6 character guys.

Consider starting Mittlestadt in Roch, with Thompson and Nylander on his wings to develop some of that chemistry they flashed in the prospect tourney.  Let them dominate and lead Roch to a title.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

ROR derangement syndrome.  Move on. 

Impossible.  The man who made the trade still runs the team, and the ownership who haven't yet fired the man who made the trade still owns the team.  Clearly we remain in the Valley of Fail and shall remain there until "things change".   Until "things change", this team's attempts to improve are for naught.

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ... said:

Impossible.  The man who made the trade still runs the team, and the ownership who haven't yet fired the man who made the trade still owns the team.  Clearly we remain in the Valley of Fail and shall remain there until "things change".   Until "things change", this team's attempts to improve are for naught.

It appears you'll be as much fun around here as a clown at a funeral. (Missed the sarcasm)  I'll leave the commentary stand in reference to those you were referring to.

Edited by LTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LTS said:

It appears you'll be as much fun around here as a clown at a funeral.

It appears your sarcasm detector was collateral damage when my ROR snark meter exploded late last night 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It appears your sarcasm detector was collateral damage when my ROR snark meter exploded late last night 😜

Maybe.  It wasn't snarky enough, I suppose, to avoid being lumped into Emo SabreSpace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...