How Would You Fix the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

What Should Be Jbot’s Big Move This Summer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Be Jbot’s Next Big Move This Summer?

• Acquire a top 6 center
    • Acquire a legit no .1 goalie
    • Acquire a top 4 shutdown D
    • Acquire at least one top 6 winger
    • Add more physical depth forwards
    • Trade up to get a top 4 draft pick

Just now, LTS said:

Maybe.  It wasn't snarky enough, I suppose, to avoid being lumped into Emo SabreSpace.

Sizzle is very stealthy in his snark.  He posted a very similar post in another thread.  Very under the radar snark and I am sure he has his jester suit on this morning.  In all these years I do not recall him being a for real snarkster.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sizzle is very stealthy in his snark.  He posted a very similar post in another thread.  Very under the radar snark and I am sure he has his jester suit on this morning.  In all these years I do not recall him being a for real snarkster.

Me either.. I just thought he went off the deep end.  I saw the other post too.. I ignored that one.. but the second one baited me.  

Trade with Tampa Bay for Callahan, Martin and Joseph for McCabe and one of next years #2 picks.

Trade with Winnepeg for Trouba and Perrault for Risto and the 31st pick

Sign Michael Ferland 4 years 4.25 AAV

Trade -Girgs-Larsson for whatever

Skinner--Jack--Joseph

Ferland--Martin-- Reinhart

Sheary--Casey/Perrault--Olofsson

ERod--Perrault/Casey--Okposo

Callahan xtra

Dahlin-Trouba

Pilot-Montour

Scandella-Bogo

Nelson xtra

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Trade with Tampa Bay for Callahan, Martin and Joseph for McCabe and one of next years #2 picks.

Trade with Winnepeg for Trouba and Perrault for Risto and the 31st pick

Sign Michael Ferland 4 years 4.25 AAV

Trade -Girgs-Larsson for whatever

Skinner--Jack--Joseph

Ferland--Martin-- Reinhart

Sheary--Casey/Perrault--Olofsson

ERod--Perrault/Casey--Okposo

Callahan xtra

Dahlin-Trouba

Pilot-Montour

Scandella-Bogo

Nelson xtra

Who is Martin?  Do you mean JT Miller?  Also why would TB in desperate need of cap room trade a solid 22 year old in Joseph?

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The biggest hurdle has been done. Fire Housley.

Next hurdle was to acquire a good coach. By all accounts RK seems (key word seems) to be.

Next hurdle was to sign Skinner. 

Next hurdle is to acquire a good solid 2nd line center.

Next hurdle is to have key guys already on the team to continue to develop well. 

I believe if those things happen, this team can make playoffs IF the coaching staff succeeds in getting the most out of everyone. 

I don't consider firing Housley 'a hurdle', actually pretty easy to do.  One thing to keep in mind is that we need to leapfrog quite a few teams to get to the playoffs, which of those teams aren't trying to improve just like we are. Even if we have a good offseason, it's a huge task to overtake so many teams.

I have never seen so much misplaced anger or dying over spilled milk.  There is clearly more to the ROR trade then just the $ and players involved.  

However step back and be objective when looking at Jbot’s tenure.

When he got here our pipeline, especially on defense and center had been decimated.  Our AHL team was a joke, our drafting was a joke (so far TM’s 3 drafts have yielded two full time NHL players - Jack and Sam), our NHL team was the most overpaid and underperforming team in the league and in cap hell to boot.

Under Jbot

1) Our AHL team is no longer a joke. (2 straight playoff appearences)

2) Our prospect pipeline is solid with excellent D depth, goaltending and solid mix middle forwards. (Pilut, UPL, Pekar, Borgen, Samuelsson, Bryson, Olofsson, Asplund, Laaksonen, and Ruotsalainen)

3) We are no longer in cap hell (20 mill to spend and only 6 contracts beyond this season with only one bad contract for KO)

4) We actually now have a good core of players we can build onto in Jack, Sam, Montour, Mitts, Dahlin, Skinner, McCabe and even Risto.  Remember when Jbot got here Risto was our best D.  He is now arguably our 3rd best D.  We have a gifted top line and some young players like Pilut, Mitts, Dahlin, Asplund, Borgen and Olofsson who should continue to grow and improve.  

Have there been mistakes? Sure. Housley sadly didn’t work out.  Either did Baloo.  Many of the forward depth acquisitions have not performed as hoped or expected.  The ROR trade is a current disaster, but could be partially salvaged if Thompson (only 21) improves and we hit on the 2 remaining draft picks.  (Maybe trade the 31st for Kapanen?).

However there have also been very good to excellent moves such as signing Pilut, trading for Skinner, acquiring Montour, and getting Sheary for nothing.

I’m sorry, but this franchise is in a much better place today then when TM was GM and with a couple of good moves to add some scoring and some more defensive D, we should be a playoff team next season.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have never seen so much misplaced anger.  There is clearly more to the ROR trade then just the $ and players involved.  

When he got here our pipeline, especially on defense and center had been decimated.  Our AHL team was a joke, our drafting was a joke (so far TM’s 3 drafts have yielded two full time NHL players - Jack and Sam), our NHL team was the most overpaid and underperforming team in the league and in cap hell to boot.

Under Jbot

2) Our prospect pipeline is solid with excellent D depth, goaltending and solid mix middle forwards. (Pilut, UPL, Pekar, Borgen, Samuelsson, Bryson, Olofsson, Asplund, Laaksonen, and Ruotsalainen)

3) We are no longer in cap hell (20 mill to spend and only 6 contracts beyond this season with only one bad contract for KO)

4) We actually now have a good core of players we can build onto in Jack, Sam, Montour, Mitts, Dahlin, Skinner, McCabe and even Risto.  Remember when Jbot got here Risto was our best D.  He is now arguably our 3rd best D.  We have a gifted top line and some young players like Pilut, Mitts, Dahlin, Asplund, Borgen and Olofsson who should continue to grow and improve.  

Have there been mistakes? Sure. Housley sadly didn’t work out.  Either did Baloo.  Many of the forward depth acquisitions have not performed as hoped or expected.  The ROR trade is a current disaster, but could be partially salvaged if Thompson (only 21) improves and we hit on the 2 remaining draft picks.  

However there have also been very good to excellent moves such as signing Pilut, trading for Skinner, acquiring Montour, and getting Sheary for nothing.

I’m sorry, but this franchise is in a much better place today then when TM was GM and with a couple of good moves to add some scoring and some more defensive D, we should be a playoff team next season.  

I like your optimism but you can't understand our anger? We traded the playoff MVP for nothing.....I don't see how people can see a bright future....tired of hearing about draft picks and cap space.....obviously adding some scoring and defense and we could be a playoff team....you make it sound so easy. A lot of work to be done to make this a playoff team

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is Martin?  Do you mean JT Miller?  Also why would TB in desperate need of cap room trade a solid 22 year old in Joseph?

Yes it should spell Miller and Joseph is the extra prize in taking on Callahan

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I like your optimism but you can't understand our anger? We traded the playoff MVP for nothing.....I don't see how people can see a bright future....tired of hearing about draft picks and cap space.....obviously adding some scoring and defense and we could be a playoff team....you make it sound so easy. A lot of work to be done to make this a playoff team

Sure I understand the anger.  So far we got fleeced or so it appears, but there is nothing we can do about ROR any longer.  It’s done.  Bad trades are part of hockey and all sports.  The Tigers traded HOFer John Smoltz, then just a prospects to the Braves for Doyle Alexander.  Alexander helped he Tigers win the WS in 1987, Smoltz went on to the HOF.  Bad trade in hindsight, except the Tigers like their 87 WS win.  So ROR won a Cup.  The Sabres, now with a real GM, have a chance to build this thing properly.

With the season ended, the real work begins, but much has already been done.  The season ended last night, but we have already signed Ruotsalainen, hired a HC, signed Skinner, and hired a much needed good goalie coach.  Jbot has proven to me that he can make good deals to get what he needs.  Skinner for Pu and a few picks was a steal.  Sheary for a 4th was also a steal.   There are also a ton of players available as FAs or trades that fit our needs up front such as Kapanen, JT Miller, Duchene, Zucker, Hayes, Dzingel, Johansson, Nyqvist and Lee.  We also have trade bait such as Scandella, Nylander, our 31st even Risto and cap space to get things done.  

It should be an interesting summer, which is why I started this thread.  I wanted to see what the people here would do going forward, but apparently many here just want to live in the past.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sure I understand the anger.  So far we got fleeced or so it appears, but there is nothing we can do about ROR any longer.  It’s done.  Bad trades are part of hockey and all sports.  The Tigers traded HOFer John Smoltz, then just a prospects to the Braves for Doyle Alexander.  Alexander helped he Tigers win the WS in 1987, Smoltz went on to the HOF.  Bad trade in hindsight, except the Tigers like their 87 WS win.  So ROR won a Cup.  The Sabres, now with a real GM, have a chance to build this thing properly.

With the season ended, the real work begins, but much has already been done.  The season ended last night, but we have already signed Ruotsalainen, hired a HC, signed Skinner, and hired a much needed good goalie coach.  Jbot has proven to me that he can make good deals to get what he needs.  Skinner for Pu and a few picks was a steal.  Sheary for a 4th was also a steal.   There are also a ton of players available as FAs or trades that fit our needs up front such as Kapanen, JT Miller, Duchene, Zucker, Hayes, Dzingel, Johansson, Nyqvist and Lee.  We also have trade bait such as Scandella, Nylander, our 31st even Risto and cap space to get things done.  

It should be an interesting summer, which is why I started this thread.  I wanted to see what the people here would do going forward, but apparently many here just want to live in the past.

You make good points but it's difficult to look forward sometimes with this franchise.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m neither as high on Botts as you, nor as sceptical as the ROR-the-sky-falling brigade.

He clearly has a vision, a plan for implementing it, and the character to see it through. He clearly is a capable manager in terms of organizational structure, dealing with people, and the business of hockey.

But other than Skinner, I’ve yet to see evidence of any acumen as a talent evaluator and acquirer. Hopefully Mittelstadt, Tage, Hutton, Montour, Pilut, Sheary, Krueger and others can start giving us more.

I’m also hopeful last night will exorcise most of the ROR trade pain and a competitive season next year will allow us to move on.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

• I would trade Risto to Tampa. I would want to get Miller and Foote and Stephens from them. I also have to take back Callahan but whatever.
  • I keep larsson and let Zemgus go. Larsson gets a short 2-3 year deal. 
  • I re-sign McCabe and staple him to Montour on line 2. 
  • Borgen needs to be good enough to be with Dahlin on line 1.
  • Sabres have to NAIL this draft. We are talking hittin on a good chunk of picks. 
  • Krueger needs to get that locker room working in the same direction.
  • Goaltending needs to be improved on a scale of 10-15%.
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have never seen so much misplaced anger or dying over spilled milk.  There is clearly more to the ROR trade then just the $ and players involved.  

Under Jbot

Have there been mistakes? Sure. Housley sadly didn’t work out.  Either did Baloo.  Many of the forward depth acquisitions have not performed as hoped or expected.  The ROR trade is a current disaster, but could be partially salvaged if Thompson (only 21) improves and we hit on the 2 remaining draft picks.  (Maybe trade the 31st for Kapanen?).

You're not being objective, though. You clearly believe in Botterill and think it's going to work out long term, but if we're looking at objectivity, his first two seasons as GM have objectively been worse than Murray's last two. Murray's Sabres finished 23rd with 81 points and 26th with 78 points. Botterill has iced 31st in the league with 62 points and 27th in the league with 76 points. At best, they're in the same place. There is simply no evidence the team is moving in the right direction. You are free to believe it is, but that's not objectivity.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m neither as high on Botts as you, nor as sceptical as the ROR-the-sky-falling brigade.

He clearly has a vision, a plan for implementing it, and the character to see it through. He clearly is a capable manager in terms of organizational structure, dealing with people, and the business of hockey.

But other than Skinner, I’ve yet to see evidence of any acumen as a talent evaluator and acquirer. Hopefully Mittelstadt, Tage, Hutton, Montour, Pilut, Sheary, Krueger and others can start giving us more.

I’m also hopeful last night will exorcise most of the ROR trade pain and a competitive season next year will allow us to move on.

Weren’t you just advocating a 4th rd pick to Toronto for 39 year old Marleau?  Didn’t Jbot get 2 players for that 4th rd pick with similar offense to Marleau in 27 year old Sheary and depth D Hunwick?  You don’t think Pilut was a great find or Montour a huge improvement on defense?  Hasn’t his drafting been clearly an improvement over the previous 2 regimes? 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:
  • I would trade Risto to Tampa. I would want to get Miller and Foote and Stephens from them. I also have to take back Callahan but whatever.
  • I keep larsson and let Zemgus go. Larsson gets a short 2-3 year deal. 
  • I re-sign McCabe and staple him to Montour on line 2. 
  • Borgen needs to be good enough to be with Dahlin on line 1.
  • Sabres have to NAIL this draft. We are talking hittin on a good chunk of picks. 
  • Krueger needs to get that locker room working in the same direction.
  • Goaltending needs to be improved on a scale of 10-15%.

Risto to TB to fix the second line would be a dream come true. Miller can play all three forward slots, can score, create and play physically.  His is great fit here because if Asplund and Mitts develop at center, he can easily be moved to wing and he’ll still produce in a top 6 role.  

I lean toward keeping Z over Larsson but whatever. 

Hopefully the new goalie coach has the same effect here as he did in Carolina and Pitts.  

I think it is asking a lot of Borgen, at least to start the year, to be Dahlin’s partner.  However, long-term, it could work.

I also think we need another winger such as Zucker or Kapanen to go with Miller. 

As to the draft, I’ll be happy with any of Boldy, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte and I’m warming to Zegras and Caufield.  All these guys will be NHLers and all brings skills our organization needs short and long-term.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're not being objective, though. You clearly believe in Botterill and think it's going to work out long term, but if we're looking at objectivity, his first two seasons as GM have objectively been worse than Murray's last two. Murray's Sabres finished 23rd with 81 points and 26th with 78 points. Botterill has iced 31st in the league with 62 points and 27th in the league with 76 points. At best, they're in the same place. There is simply no evidence the team is moving in the right direction. You are free to believe it is, but that's not objectivity.

I will say that I think Botterill's biggest mistake was Housley. Year 1 there were concerns and then after the win streak we saw they were not concerns but a coach who was not intelligent enough to utilize the tools he had and make adjustments. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Weren’t you just advocating a 4th rd pick to Toronto for 39 year old Marleau?  Didn’t Jbot get 2 players for that 4th rd pick with similar offense to Marleau in 27 year old Sheary and depth D Hunwick?  You don’t think Pilut was a great find or Montour a huge improvement on defense?  Hasn’t his drafting been clearly an improvement over the previous 2 regimes? 

Risto to TB to fix the second line would be a dream come true. Miller can play all three forward slots, can score, create and play physically.  His is great fit here because if Asplund and Mitts develop at center, he can easily be moved to wing and he’ll still produce in a top 6 role.  

I lean toward keeping Z over Larsson but whatever. 

Hopefully the new goalie coach has the same effect here as he did in Carolina and Pitts.  

I think it is asking a lot of Borgen, at least to start the year, to be Dahlin’s partner.  However, long-term, it could work.

I also think we need another winger such as Zucker or Kapanen to go with Miller. 

As to the draft, I’ll be happy with any of Boldy, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte and I’m warming to Zegras and Caufield.  All these guys will be NHLers and all brings skills our organization needs short and long-term.

I have 0 interest in Zucker. Kapanen I would be all for. 

I should add that Borgen being Dahlin's partner is not necessarily something that has to happen day 1 but what I hope happens going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

The first step is obvious-fire Botteril.  I have no confidence in his ability to judge talent or build a team.  If we trade Risto it will be another ROR trade.  I see another lottery season coming up.  Botteril will probably be terminated after next year.  Some of the posters here are the same people who used to post "in Buddy Nix we trust" on the bills message board.  We all want to be optimistic but I think Buddy Nix was a much better GM than  Botteril , and I thought Buddy was a terrible GM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If your only criteria is points then we are in the same place, although our offense is clearly better.

However, TM’s team was a veteran team with a few kids that TM spent $80 mill actual dollars (cap was $73) to finish with the 5th worst team. We were loaded with a steaming pile of terrible contracts like Gorges, Bogosian, Kulikov, KO, Franson, Lehner, Ennis, and Moulson.  

So while we maybe in the same spot in the standings, we have a better offense, a younger team with more upside, and only one bad contract.  The TM team had no future, while this team does.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is also something for which there is zero evidence -- and again, Dahlin doesn't count.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Weren’t you just advocating a 4th rd pick to Toronto for 39 year old Marleau?  Didn’t Jbot get 2 players for that 4th rd pick with similar offense to Marleau in 27 year old Sheary and depth D Hunwick?  You don’t think Pilut was a great find or Montour a huge improvement on defense?  Hasn’t his drafting been clearly an improvement over the previous 2 regimes? .

I make the trade over again, but it doesn’t change the fact that I was generally disappointed in Sheary and doubt he plays a significant role in this team being good. And (after Scandella’s disastrous year last year) Sheary might be the best of JBot’s depth pickups.

Hype Lukkonnen all you want, but Botts has yet to draft an NHLer outside the first 8 picks. Pilut, to date, has been a passable 6/7 who has yet to prove he can handle heavy NHLers. I have high hopes for Montour, but the dude has contributed to 2 regulation wins. These might become great moves or they might become Noronen, Gragnani and Ehrhoff.

We just don’t know yet.

And, for the record, I very clearly posted “I am not advocating we go get Marleau” ?

Edited by dudacek

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is also something for which there is zero evidence -- and again, Dahlin doesn't count.

Why doesn’t Dahlin count?  Do Jack and Sam count for TM?  TM missed on Nylander and in his 3 drafts, the 1st of which is now 5 seasons ago, there are still no full time NHLers besides the 2 2nd overall picks from those drafts much less Sabres.  I’d even accept an argument that TM missed on Sam because there are arguably 4 or 5 better players from 2014 including Draisaitl, Pastrnak, and maybe Larkin, Point, and Nylander drafted after him.

The best we can hope for from TM’s drafts are that Borgen, Olofsson and Asplund eventually contribute to the Sabres.  Only 23 year old Olofsson appears close to NHL ready.

Now compare to Jbot in just two drafts. Pekar, Bryson and UPL will already be in Rochester next season. Laaksonen (along with UPL) are two of top rated prospects in the NHL and Samuelsson, Bryson and Davidsson seem to be on as good of a trajectory as Borgen, Olofsson and Asplund. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If your only criteria is points then we are in the same place, although our offense is clearly better.

However, TM’s team was a veteran team with a few kids that TM spent $80 mill actual dollars (cap was $73) to finish with the 5th worst team. We were loaded with a steaming pile of terrible contracts like Gorges, Bogosian, Kulikov, KO, Franson, Lehner, Ennis, and Moulson.  

So while we maybe in the same spot in the standings, we have a better offense, a younger team with more upside, and only one bad contract.  The TM team had no future, while this team does.

Is it? Murray's last two seasons yielded 402 goals, Botterill's first two yielded 425. But how much of that is a result of Botterill's moves versus the natural development of Eichel and Reinhart? Moderate goal output increase, questionable causal chain. That of course also has to be balanced by the worsening team defense. Botterill's teams gave up 551 goals to Murray's teams' 459. Combining these two figures, we're a whopping 69 goals in the red. Again, this team can have a future, but there is no evidence saying it does. Your belief is not evidence.

Oh, and this team has 3 bad contracts: Bogosian, Scandella, Okposo, and Sobotka, of which only two were inherited. We'd have a 5th if Botterill didn't luck into Berglund quitting.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.