GDT: Detroit at Buffalo 3/28/19 7:00pm MSG

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Both incorrect and misleading. 

Incorrect in that 9 Sabres draft picks have played in the NHL since the 2014 draft (Reinhart, Lemieux, Olofsson, Eichel, Guhle, Borgen, Nylander, Mittelstadt, Dahlin) and only 6 from the 2013 draft (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher, Bailey, Baptiste, Malone).

Misleading for several reasons: the 2013 draft had an unusually high number of draft picks at 11, drafts from the previous 2-3 years can't realistically be expected to have the same NHL presence as one from 2013, the number of players who played in the NHL isn't a good measure of actual impact at the pro level, and highlighting the 2013 draft while omitting all of Regier's many other ATROCIOUS drafts only mitigates his role in the franchise's current quagmire.

I just thought the mic drop comment was funny. 

Olofsson has some skill. Not sure how durable he'd be. Seems kind of small and light. Pretty obvious how teams would deal with him in big games - if we ever get to play any. Still, could see him as the 4th forward on the PP. Good speed, nice passes and seems to have good awareness. Upgrade from Tage for sure. 

Loved the figure skating spin from Skinner. If he'd scored on that it might have been a highlight :)  

• Like (+1) 1

Pilut looked good. He still gets manhandled, but he makes some really nice plays.

Olofsson looked good, got a point.

I'm really glad Casey was rewarded with that goal because he played really well all game.

Dahlin looked like he always does.

We're never getting more outta Larsson and Girgensons, who I like, but if they have to go, fine.

I think I like Sheary,… I think.

NHLers who can stay- Jack, Sam, Okposo, maybe Pominville, and I think Skinner (mostly cuz he's fun).

Ullmark was bad.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Both incorrect and misleading. 

Incorrect in that 9 Sabres draft picks have played in the NHL since the 2014 draft (Reinhart, Lemieux, Olofsson, Eichel, Guhle, Borgen, Nylander, Mittelstadt, Dahlin) and only 6 from the 2013 draft (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher, Bailey, Baptiste, Malone).

Misleading for several reasons: the 2013 draft had an unusually high number of draft picks at 11, drafts from the previous 2-3 years can't realistically be expected to have the same NHL presence as one from 2013, the number of players who played in the NHL isn't a good measure of actual impact at the pro level, and highlighting the 2013 draft while omitting all of Regier's many other ATROCIOUS drafts only mitigates his role in the franchise's current quagmire.

It's actually 9 and 7, as you forgot Cal Petersen who refused to sign with us and now plays for LA.  He'll actually be the 4th full time NHLer from 2013.  We'd be in a lot better shape had we kept all 4 of these players and not just Ristolainen.  We can thank my friend TM for that.

Honestly, as much as I was ok with DR being fired and thought he should have been gone when TP bought the team, my standard for drafting is for the GM to consistently find 3 legit NHL players from each draft. 

DR's record is actually close to that threshold dating back to 2001,  Where DR failed us was not drafting and developing any quality centers after 2001, failing to sign picks like Hejda and Wideman and falling below the 3 player threshold in most years from 2007-2011 when we really needed new blood.

2001 - 3+ (Roy, Thorburn and Pominville) plus Novotny (189 games)

2002 - 3 (Ballard, Paille, Wideman)

2003 - 3 (Vanek, MacArthur, Hejda)

2004 - 3 (Stafford, Sekera, Kaleta)

2005 - 2 (Butler and Gerbe)

2006  - 3 ish (Enroth, Weber and Biega, who is in the NHL w Van)

2007 - 1+ (Byron, Tropp)

2008 - 2 (Myers and Ennis)

2009 - 3 (Kassian, McNabb, Foligno)

2010 - 1 (Pysyk)

2011 - 1 (Armia)

2012 - 3+ (Girgensons, McCabe, Ullmark and Grigorenko) Don't be surprised if 24 year old Grigorenko returns to the NHL. 

2013 - 3-4 (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher, Petersen and maybe even Bailey).

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Pilut looked good. He still gets manhandled, but he makes some really nice plays.

I'm really glad Casey was rewarded with that goal because he played really well all game.

We're never getting more outta Larsson and Girgensons, who I like, but if they have to go, fine.

NHLers who can stay- Jack, Sam, Okposo, maybe Pominville, and I think Skinner (mostly cuz he's fun).

Ullmark was bad.

He's really fighting it.

Hutton is what he is. We need Linus to make a jump next season or we need another goalie.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Ullmark was bad.

Sometimes I think Ullmark is really really stoned. Like that play where he was turned around in the net on his knees facing the boards and looking around like he had absolutely no idea where the puck (or he) was. Puck came out in front and fortunately a bad Detroit team had nobody there to get it so no harm but really.........only a Sabres goalie can manage to be that out of it.

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think Sheary is faster than Skinner and they wanted to chase down the puckhandler if they lost the faceoff, which is pretty much what happened and we got the puck back right away.

Sheary is a bit faster but Skinner plays with determination and purpose.  I think Skinner on 2nd OT line is fine.  The problem is Sheary is not a good enough finisher to play on the first OT line.  

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

Ullmark was bad.

Based on this we have the same gritless forwards next year? 

Okposo, Pommer, and Girgs all need to go.  Sobie needs to go.  Larry can stay.   We need to re-sign Skinner and pick up at least 2 legit top 6 forwards with some size and moxie.  One has to be a 2C.   Mitts has to play 3C until he earns 2C.  No more jobs by default  

Tage is on the bubble, especially if Nylander and Olofsson progress.  Tage got a free pass to the NHL, again by default.  Next year he has to earn a spot.  We already know he is a bad 4th line player in shut down role so he has to earn a 3rd line spot.  If he makes the second line we are in trouble again.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Ullmark was bad.

The game - we still lost it.  The group you like is the group that pooped the bed after the streak, minus Pilut and Olo.  

Do we not watch some games featuring good teams around the NHL?  I know a lot of you do not like to believe this, but we need some muscle and dudes who are way more fearless than the bunch we have.  If we ever make it to the playoffs, with so many little guys we'll get beat down quickly.  How do you think teams started beating us this year after it became clear this squad can't handle a physical game?

I like Pilut if he's the only small D we have.  But he will be worthless defensively in a first round playoff match.  Sheary and Girgensons cough up the puck, Sheary is small and weak and neither do well in front of the net - when they make it there (which Sheary doesn't).

KO is slow and an offensive black hole.  He's a turnover machine.  He wastes a roster spot. 

Pomminstein is slow, and rarely hits.  At least he still knows how to position himself and take advantage of better players.

I don't want to populate a green room for fan visitations, I want to win a Stanley Cup.  You HAVE to look at the team cold and honest to get there.  Someone tell TPegs.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ... said:

The game - we still lost it.  The group you like is the group that pooped the bed after the streak, minus Pilut and Olo.  

Do we not watch some games featuring good teams around the NHL?  I know a lot of you do not like to believe this, but we need some muscle and dudes who are way more fearless than the bunch we have.  If we ever make it to the playoffs, with so many little guys we'll get beat down quickly.  How do you think teams started beating us this year after it became clear this squad can't handle a physical game?

I like Pilut if he's the only small D we have.  But he will be worthless defensively in a first round playoff match.  Sheary and Girgensons cough up the puck, Sheary is small and weak and neither do well in front of the net - when they make it there (which Sheary doesn't).

KO is slow and an offensive black hole.  He's a turnover machine.  He wastes a roster spot. 

Pomminstein is slow, and rarely hits.  At least he still knows how to position himself and take advantage of better players.

I don't want to populate a green room for fan visitations, I want to win a Stanley Cup.  You HAVE to look at the team cold and honest to get there.  Someone tell 

+Kim

29 minutes ago, ... said:

I don't want to populate a green room for fan visitations, I want to win a Stanley Cup.  You HAVE to look at the team cold and honest to get there.  Someone tell TPegs.

I was thinking the same thing watching last night's game. Too many guys who avoid contact like the plague. I know analytics guy, I'm looking at you Schopp, wants to belabor the point about hitting and not having the puck.  I just feel like you need enough guys on the team that are fearless and will initiate contact for hockey related purposed (not the Kaleta type).  Give me 3 of those guys on this team next season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

UPL! UPL! UPL! 

Hes playing great ... in the OHL. He’s nowhere near close. He’s gonna need a couple more years. Minimum.

He’s just turned 20, i think his path is Amerks next season for a full season as backup. 20-21 season as starter for Amerks. 21-22 season as a backup on the Sabres. If he excels then maybe the developmental path can be shortened  a bit. He’ll be 22-23 if all goes well and he makes it to the Sabres as a backup. That timeline corresponds with Hutton’s contract ending.

UPL is one prospect I don’t want rushed at all. Develop develop develop!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

I was thinking the same thing watching last night's game. Too many guys who avoid contact like the plague. I know analytics guy, I'm looking at you Schopp, wants to belabor the point about hitting and not having the puck.  I just feel like you need enough guys on the team that are fearless and will initiate contact for hockey related purposed (not the Kaleta type).  Give me 3 of those guys on this team next season. 

Shopp is an idiot. He thinks that hitting is the only measure of playing physical because it is the only thing there is a stat for it. A defensemen who is physical is more likely to get the puck and make that tape to tape pass that he is longing for. He just doesn’t get it.

39 minutes ago, ... said:

I’m in total agreement with you and ink. I was just making some observations. I have no problems losing any of these guys for some that play a heavier game.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Sheary is a bit faster but Skinner plays with determination and purpose.  I think Skinner on 2nd OT line is fine.  The problem is Sheary is not a good enough finisher to play on the first OT line.  

He's not a good enough finisher to play with Jack?  I think Jack is probably our best finisher and would rather pair him with a harrier than another finisher.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I forget who it was last night because it could apply to 17 of 18 players on the roster. Our guy and a Red Wing went into the corner. Our guy reached out with his stick. The Wing went for the puck and got it. You don't have to hit. But you can lean your shoulder into the guy, push a bit, get pushed by him, and tie up the puck. (You might even make yourself vulnerable to being crushed against the boards, or like the Red Wing last night, taking a follow-through to the face.) Then it becomes a battle. Then you and your teammates fight for it (although we're horrid at supporting each other for the scrums). But that's exactly it --- that's a physical game that isn't hitting, but creates confrontation. You want that puck. You need that puck. Go get it. And even better if you turn that into a board-rattling shoulder-to-shoulder impact that gets the crowd going.

(Speaking off... Hey! Remember that one 4-hit shift last week? The one that got the entire arena buzzing? They don't have to do that every shift. But imagine if they started out a game like that.)

3 hours ago, inkman said:

And the one guy who fearlessly plays to contact is the guy that makes me cringe every time he does it because I fear what another concussion would do to him- Okposo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I actually like Mike Schopp a lot more than most, and consider him the only guy worth listening to at WGR-550.

Having said that, just the other day he went on another rant about physical play.  On this point, he is clueless.

He lives in a world of gambling, game theory, fantasy sports teams, and advanced statistics.

On top of that, he's likely the least athletic guy you've ever known and certainly never played any hockey, which is why he is so sensitive to people who point that out.

He doesn't get it.  Physicality is a huge part of playoff hockey and it directly relates to puck possession time, scoring, and winning.

He recently said "Look at who has won the Cup recently...smaller, skilled teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh."  

He chose to ignore the 2 Cups won by LA at the height of Chicago's dominance, and the fact that they did so with a giant, super physical, hard hitting lineup that mauled people along the boards, and possessed the hell out of the puck while doing so.  They emerged as the best of the huge/fast/super physical Western Conference wars that we have seen in recent playoff campaigns. 

And they were also skilled and talented. 

It's not a "this or that" type thing.  You need both.  The Sabres have a lot of skill in just a few players, and even those guys have their flaws.  Eichel is in no way comparable to Patrice Bergeron or Kopitar; those guys are made for playoff hockey in a way Eichel may not be.  

Just last night Reinhart's terrible defensive play led directly to 2 goals, including the game winner in OT.

We need more talent in the lineup, much better attention to defensive play, and TONS of physicality inserted into the lineup.

There's not need to argue over this.  We can all just watch the first round of the playoffs next week and see what role physicality plays in the games.  It's huge! 

Schopp recently proudly proclaimed that not only does he not watch NHL hockey, he wouldn't even think to do so, unless the game involved the Sabres. 

Makes sense that he doesn't understand how playoff hockey works, as the Sabres haven't tasted that stuff in 8 years now.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He's not a good enough finisher to play with Jack?  I think Jack is probably our best finisher and would rather pair him with a harrier than another finisher.

Look at Jack’s goal to assist ratio.  Jack is more of a set up guy than a finisher.   He can do both but he has 2x the assist than he does goals.  At least that’s the way I see it. 

Sheary may be fast but he is not a pure scorer - not a set up guy or a finisher.  He had a good run playing with Crosby and taking advantage of space.  On the Sabres he is a 2nd line forward.  We have to get bigger and better so that he gets pushed to a 3rd line role.  

I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night - so I skimmed through it this afternoon. 

Ullmark is just not good.  He overcompensates to the puck side and lacks the quickness to get to the other side when the puck is passed.  I don't know if he's just slow at moving or he's surprised it's being passed.  He looks awful to me. 

In my opinion we need (to become a contender):

A franchise goalie (hopefully UPL)

A physical top pair defenseman

A skilled 2nd Line Center

Another skilled scoring winger

A physical winger who can score

A physical winger who can grind

A better looking future:

1: Skinner    Eichel     Physical Scoring Winger

2: Nylander?    70+points 2C      Sam

3: Oloffson?      Mitts     Smith/Tage/Erod?

4. Nasty Grinder    Asplund?     Pekkar?

D1  Dahlin     ____________

D2  McCabe    Montour

D3  Borgen?      Samuleson?

G:   UPL/Ullmark?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.