GDT - Sabres @ Pittsburgh - November 19, 2018 - 7:00 PM (EST) - 8:00 PM (AST)

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

just wish Larry could bury one of his chances, he is so close.

For some reason I think the whole team is pulling for him to score.  It's just that kind of a team this year.  Look at all the players we thought we needed to jettison in order to be relevant, and the contributions virtually all of them are making.  It's amazaing.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

He has such good technique that he uses his skinny frame to maximum advantage.

I think we will see far more of this once he gets a few more years to work on that teenage body. Right now it's mostly speed and finesse, but there are hints of the punishing power game as well.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is Kyle Okposo fully back? He was flying last night.

Honestly, he was back by the end of last season.  But the team wasn't, and last season the people on this board didn't want to admit that Okie was back.  I think the big difference this year is the chemistry with Mitts.  He's like a fountain of youth for Okposo.  And with Sheary on the other wing, I only expect this line to improve going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's something else:  I posted in a recent GDT that Howie has started putting the checking line out for the shift following a goal by the Sabres, and that this has been pretty effective.  Last night, after Casey tied it in the 3rd, Howie put Jack's line out and they got dominated, giving Pitt several scoring chances.  Fortunately, Hutton was able to freeze the puck and Howie then put the checking line out.

I really would like to see the checking line out there after every single Sabres goal. 

As a related point, Ryan Stimson has a good piece in the Athletic today in which he digs into the Sabres' chances of making the playoffs.  He's not as optimistic as we are on this board, primarily because the Sabres' shot share is below 50%.  In particular, he notes that the Sabres have only a 43% shot share when Skinner-Eichel-Reino play.  This jibes with my general impression that Jack's line, as dangerous as it is, has a hard time in the D zone -- including when Pommer is the RW. 

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

And I just think it serves no purpose on a fan board other than to be a wet blanket.

Well, that's certainly not true as a general statement, even if it applies to you personally. Even if you only consider the discussion on the emotional level, the converse of the Sabres' situation could result in an uplifting discussion to a fanbase (outplaying teams, but losing). The statistical discussion could reassure fans that the team was on the right track, but is caught in a bad stretch of puck luck.

Regardless, I don't think the people who enjoy that type of analysis should use it as a weapon to take enjoyment out of the game for others, but it serves a great purpose in discussing long-term trends.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hey, you bought it. Own it.

I proudly own it. Anything written otherwise to satisfy a deal I made with the Hockey Gods will be in jest. Terry did meddle. There's nothing to rub my nose in with things going well for a quarter of a season. And nothing to rub my nose in even if the Sabres win the Cup, unless you think Terry's early meddling was good and led to such an outcome.

I've always given him credit for caring, wanting to win and putting his money where his mouth his. With those three latter elements still in place and Terry IMHO no longer meddling (he's too busy doing so with the Bills) AND what is looking like a very good to great hire he made in Botterill, I am fully prepared to laud him up one side and down the other. It's too early to do so. Just like it's too early for whatever point you're trying to make.

54 minutes ago, SDS said:

Well, that's certainly not true as a general statement, even if it applies to you personally. Even if you only consider the discussion on the emotional level, the converse of the Sabres' situation could result in an uplifting discussion to a fanbase (outplaying teams, but losing). The statistical discussion could reassure fans that the team was on the right track, but is caught in a bad stretch of puck luck.

Regardless, I don't think the people who enjoy that type of analysis should use it as a weapon to take enjoyment out of the game for others, but it serves a great purpose in discussing long-term trends.

Hey, that wasn't very nice. I'm more of a damp sheet.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Honestly, he was back by the end of last season.  But the team wasn't, and last season the people on this board didn't want to admit that Okie was back.  I think the big difference this year is the chemistry with Mitts.  He's like a fountain of youth for Okposo.  And with Sheary on the other wing, I only expect this line to improve going forward.

Totally.  I thought that line looked good.  KO has been looking pretty okay this season.

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Hey, that wasn't very nice. I'm more of a damp sheet.

Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part. I meant to say that others talking stats may be a wet blanket on your enthusiasm, but not necessarily everyone else's.

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

These guys are the new 'cardiac kids'.  Awesome comeback and great goaltending permitted it.  At some point this has got to come back and bite them on the you know what.

Rasmus II had a pretty rough night on many of the Pittsburgh goals ... only watched the highlights.  That hit was great, though.

Who's up next?  This is fun!!

GO SABRES!!

The Philthy Flyers at home Wed.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I mean this with respect and genuine uncertainty: Did the team play better (faster) without him (Scandella)?

Generally yes but I don't think there's a clear cause-and-effect relationship.  Just like previous games, the Sabres started slow up and down the lineup.  I don't think Scandy was on ice for the goals, but Dahlin was. 

Scandella played much better the second 10 games than the first. If he’s out for a while, he will be missed. That said, I suspect any extra weight will fall on Dahlin’s shoulders and neither Beaulieu, nor Nelson has been a tire fire this year. We’ll be OK.

i also suspect Tennyson will be called up to sit in the press box if an extra body is needed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.