GDT: Bruins at Sabres. Oct 4 7PM

spndnchz

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

The way too early observation:

Dahlin looked ordinary.  I actually read someone stating they'd rather have Rasmus than McDavid. Yeesh.  

Meh. Think of what Karlsson and Hedman looked like in their first seasons. Karlsson is arguably among the all time greats. 

McDavid is just McDavid. No one is/was in his league anytime recently but Crosby.

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

Post game interviews are usually just garbage. There is nothing any player or coach is going to say to anyone to make them feel better. They are basically loaded questions so that fans can kick them in the teeth when they give the wrong answer.

Yea, I really don't understand what people expect athletes to say. Not like they can say "I'm sorry, we just don't have enough talent. Talk to Jason." So they have to fall back on cliche'd nonsense. It's been this way...forever. It always just baffles me how much stock people put into public quotes.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Best D on this team isnt that big of a compliment...

...it's like saying he is the tallest midget or the thinnest obese guy...

As much as I bitch about this team, the vast majority of players take a couple of years to develop. I pretty much give Dahlin a pass for the entire season.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yea, I really don't understand what people expect athletes to say. Not like they can say "I'm sorry, we just don't have enough talent. Talk to Jason." So they have to fall back on cliche'd nonsense. It's been this way...forever. It always just baffles me how much stock people put into public quotes.

It's not just post game, all Interviews are like that. If a player spots cliches and stuff the fans hate it, if they tell the truth the fans also find it a problem and the player is a malcontent or cancer...

Dahlin made a couple breakout passes that wowed me. He had a big hit. His D positioning wasn't horrendous. He was pretty good, and that's perfectly in line with expectations for him for his first National Hockey League game. 

Imagine how the perception would change if he was playing the fewest minutes, on the third pair, while a sturdy top 4 took the tough minutes above him, all while not expecting to save the D all on his lonesome as an 18 year old, in front of a crowd already booing the team (not saying I hold it against the crowd, but I'm sure it's not fun to hear, in your first game). 

That was always my issue with adding only Dahlin to the d corps. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's not just post game, all Interviews are like that. If a player spots cliches and stuff the fans hate it, if they tell the truth the fans also find it a problem and the player is a malcontent or cancer...

Right. I can't imagine putting stock into any of it. And yet, every time...

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Dahlin made a couple breakout passes that wowed me. He had a big hit. His D positioning wasn't horrendous. He was pretty good, and that's perfectly in line with expectations for him for his first National Hockey League game. 

He had a cross rink pass from our zone to the far blue line that was tape to tape. I liked everything I saw. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Crotch said:

...it's like saying he is the tallest midget or the thinnest obese guy...

As much as I bitch about this team, the vast majority of players take a couple of years to develop. I pretty much give Dahlin a pass for the entire season.

As nice as it would be to have one of those players who steps in on day one and dominates or looks the part of a super star, it doesn't always happen and even some of the best take time to develop. Defenceman, especially ones who arent offensive defensemen are not guys you can typically look at in one game, or on the score sheet and be wowed by them . Cant really be down on Dahlin until at least 1/4 to 1/2 a season if he doesnt look like he's having an impact.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I guess the bright side is, stubhub ought to have some bargain tickets soon.

Only took TPs other franchise til there second home game for below face resale prices......

Yea, there are some real issues with this team still.

I can only hope I don't hear the 2 month excuses anymore. Eichel was made Captain, he SHOWED 0, yes 0 indication tonight he deserved that role.

Eichel is starting his 10 mil a season for 8 season contract. Shutout? The HOME OPENER...………….Yea, color me a jump to conclusion kinda guy, but Eichel will never live up to that Contract.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

He had a cross rink pass from our zone to the far blue line that was tape to tape. I liked everything I saw. 

Ya I think I'm thinking of the same one. He fired it really quick too. I saw it and thought, he's probably the only guy on the team that either would do, or could do that. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya I think I'm thinking of the same one. He fired it really quick too. I saw it and thought, he's probably the only guy on the team that either would do, or could do that. 

Guaranteed that was the one. Same exact thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

As nice as it would be to have one of those players who steps in on day one and dominates or looks the part of a super star, it doesn't always happen and even some of the best take time to develop. Defenceman, especially ones who arent offensive defensemen are not guys you can typically look at in one game, or on the score sheet and be wowed by them . Cant really be down on Dahlin until at least 1/4 to 1/2 a season if he doesnt look like he's having an impact.

Fair.

But, to note, Dahlin is certainly the bolded. 

I know its only one game but, if they keep this up Jack will probably regret putting that C on his chest.

The media and fans will put up with it for a little while but, come November and we have only won a handful of games, Jack might consider wearing a flak jacket and helmet to the pressers.

The one thing the fans will not tolerate is showing up late to the game night in and night out. I don't care if you have to make them all stick their heads in a bucket of smelling salts, provide electric shock therapy, or light fireworks off under the seat of their pants but they need to figure out how it is they're going to start playing hockey in the 1st period.

Making sure this team is prepared to kick azz and take names at the drop of the puck IMO falls on the coach. Get it done Housley.

Let's Go Buffalo!

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Yea, there are some real issues with this team still.

I can only hope I don't hear the 2 month excuses anymore. Eichel was made Captain, he SHOWED 0, yes 0 indication tonight he deserved that role.

Eichel is starting his 10 mil a season for 8 season contract. Shutout? The HOME OPENER...………….Yea, color me a jump to conclusion kinda guy, but Eichel will never live up to that Contract.

I have said it before that I get the feeling Eichel will be one of those good to very good players in the league, but not the elite type guy everyone expected.

And I never understood the fans jumping on making him captain just because of how and when he was drafted. I cant really recall any leadership traits or abilities shown by him to this point. Just because the player is skilled, doesnt mean they are also a good leader.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I have said it before that I get the feeling Eichel will be one of those good to very good players in the league, but not the elite type guy everyone expected.

And I never understood the fans jumping on making him captain just because of how and when he was drafted. I cant really recall any leadership traits or abilities shown by him to this point. Just because the player is skilled, doesnt mean they are also a good leader.

Would you consider Nathan Mackinnon elite? Jack is pacing at a favourable rate relative to him, so far. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.