GDT: Bruins at Sabres. Oct 4 7PM

spndnchz

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not buying it. Lack of talent is not an excuse. Boos after 2. Deserved.

I don't remember if I responded to this, but I recall being surprised by your preseason optimism and expectations. I'm not making an excuse. But a currently-mediocre roster setup is going to give us mediocre hockey games, most likely. 

They might gel and not become mediocre, but there was no single aspect of the game that was a surprise. Not a lot of high end plays, not a lot of high end players. Some optimistic plays from the youth, quite a few youth players that we are optimistic about. No very heady defensemen, lots of defensive miscues. 

It also doesn't mean they won't come out and tear up the Rangers - nobody really knows, and that's why they play the games.

They just looked tentative a good chunk of the night.  Didn't help that the D didn't get help on the back end, but the speed of the game seemed to catch them by surprise at times. Especially the Bruins forecheck. Often two players got caught out of position at the same time.   Positioning, slow stick work. Just off... Pi was right, they needed the practice or at least the film study.  Bruins clogged the middle also back door passed killed us from them.  Lack of speed on D didn't help... letting guys get around the corner so easily...

Sabres had chances, but didn't shoot when they should and shot when the could have passed... Never felt like the set up in the offensive zone... cycled decent during first two periods, but didn't result in shots.  Beaulieu is a turnover machine.

Mitts looked decent as well and 4th line was great on forecheck.  Eichel line easily worst in defensive zone.  May need to switch KO or ERod with Skinner.  Maybe put Skinner on with Sheary and Bergland, Sheary line looked the most out of sinc in the offensive zone.

40 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Then again, Bruins looked this bad or worse against Caps last night... so there is hope.

Yeah, but Boston doesn't have anything close to the recent history this organization has had, nor is a disappointing performance part of a cyclical problem that has defined the franchise in the last several years with largely the same core players.

What's disturbing about this game is not that it's a single loss; it's precisely the opposite.  It's part of a pattern in which we have seen the same lack of compete, urgency, and toughness for several years with the same key players.

Dahlin is not a part of this, and I expect him to rise about this mess.  He's an exception.

Sheary:  I know he comes back from injury, but he looked underwhelming to me.    Looks like a worser version of Ennis to me.

Dhalin and Mittelstadt:  Rookies but were one of few that seemed poised to me out there.

We got out worked so badly last night, Bruins just did what they wanted and were one step ahead of us.

One thing I did notice is how many times our players just fell down ....

Our 4th line might have been our best line out there, don't see any chemistry on our top line yet,    Eichel was just bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Nylander will get a call up soon, Thompson isn't a top 6 player yet in my eyes and will need time.

Also against a Bruins team that can focus on shutting down our best 3 players on one line something like this might have worked better.

Skinner - Reinhart - Thompson

Sheary - Eichel - Okposo  ( he stunk to last night though)

Berglund - Mittelstadt - Svobotka

GIrgensons- Rodrigues - pominville 

On the plus side, GDT's will soon be down to 8 pages again if they keep this up ?

Edited by Huckleberry

This was just a dreadful exhibition.  This team looked like it picked up where it left off in April - as a worst in the league team.   Other than Dahlin looking good at times, there weren't  any rays of sunshine here.   Poor coordination, turn overs,  crappy passing, guys that can't put a puck in the net to save their life.... substandard play across the board.  

Housley's surprise move of pulling the goalie with 5 minutes left  ended up looking absolutely pathetic.   Unable to score a goal with a man advantage in 5 full minutes..... and a 2 man advantage for 40 seconds of that time.  Against a tired team playing on the road who'd played a tough game the night before!   Worse, Boston managed an empty netter during the 2 man advantage.   Honestly,  if Buffalo had the man advantage for 10 minutes straight, it looks like they still couldn't score a goal.   

Edited by Jsixspd
  • Like (+1) 1

Was,to say the least, a very disappointing opening night game. Not ready to put nails in the coffin after one game. First, the Bruins are a better team than we are and they have played together for longer than our team has. Then,second, they got whipped pretty bad the night before and were out for redemption. I will wait awhile before giving up on our team until they have played together awhile. I do think they checked better and didn't allow Boston to stay in our end for an eternity like past performances. Offensively we were bad one goal earlier in game could have been big. Phil is more than a question mark as a head coach at this point .

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Jsixspd said:

This was just a dreadful exhibition.  This team looked like it picked up where it left off in April - as a worst in the league team.   Other than Dahlin looking good at times, there weren't  any rays of sunshine here.   Poor coordination, turn overs,  crappy passing, guys that can't put a puck in the net to save their life.... substandard play across the board.  

Housley's surprise move of pulling the goalie with 5 minutes left  ended up looking absolutely pathetic.   Unable to score a goal with a man advantage in 5 full minutes..... and a 2 man advantage for 40 seconds of that time.  Against a tired team playing on the road who'd played a tough game the night before!   Worse, Boston managed an empty netter during the 2 man advantage.   Honestly,  if Buffalo had the man advantage for 10 minutes straight, it looks like they still couldn't score a goal.   

why would the Bruins be tired just because they played night before? They traveled all the way from DC to Buffalo....it's only the 2nd game of the season. No one is tired

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, nucci said:

why would the Bruins be tired just because they played night before? They traveled all the way from DC to Buffalo....it's only the 2nd game of the season. No one is tired

Looked to me like Boston was slowing down a lot in the 3rd -  and it wasn't just 'prevent' either.  Tired might not be the right word....  not as fresh as the Sabres?   It WAS a punishing loss on the road, followed up by a back to back road game in Buffalo.   

The Sabres should have been fresher -  1st game, home game, etc.    Pick any words you want -  the Sabres absolutely sucked.  Fans were absolutely justified in booing!  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.