Evander Kane or Jeff Skinner

WildCard

Kane or Skinner?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Look above you

Lots of sour grapes / Skinner's a Sabre now and Kane isn't in this thread.

It really shouldn't be much of a debate.  Skinner is Miroslav Satan.  Kane is a two-way player.  Now, there's a place for a Miro Satan and I'm glad we've got one, but Kane is a true NHL power forward.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Personally when I look at Skinner as opposed to Kane, I think we now got a LW for Eichel who won't take shots from bad angles all the time like kane did.

Jack will also finally have a LW that is better at controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

I'm not sure your first assertion is correct.  We'll have to see how they mesh.  Skinner is a play controller, just like Kane was.  And Skinner is a shooter, just like Kane was. Over their careers they've averaged similar numbers of shots taken with a 10.7% (Skinner)  to 9.1% (Kane) difference in shooting percentage.  We'll have to see how meaningful that difference is with his new linemates.

Your second assertion is likely correct though.  Kane wasn't terribly effective at puck control in the O zone.  But he made up for it with his forecheck and backcheck.  Kane's play in the defensive zone wasn't commented enough on this site IMO.  He was a pretty decent 2 way player.  Skinner isn't known for either of those traits.  Miro Satan might be a good comparable.

57 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm not sure your first assertion is correct.  We'll have to see how they mesh.  Skinner is a play controller, just like Kane was.  And Skinner is a shooter, just like Kane was. Over their careers they've averaged similar numbers of shots taken with a 10.7% (Skinner)  to 9.1% (Kane) difference in shooting percentage.  We'll have to see how meaningful that difference is with his new linemates.

Your second assertion is likely correct though.  Kane wasn't terribly effective at puck control in the O zone.  But he made up for it with his forecheck and backcheck.  Kane's play in the defensive zone wasn't commented enough on this site IMO.  He was a pretty decent 2 way player.  Skinner isn't known for either of those traits.  Miro Satan might be a good comparable.

Skinner's higher shooting percentage could be due to his choosing better shots than Kane's 50 footers from the left boards on a zone entry. Skinner may be a puck hog but is probably more creative than Kane.

Kane definitely has the edge defensively and physically.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that Skinner is a year younger than Kane and has three 30 goal seasons. Kane has always been mentioned as a potential 30 goal winger, with only one to his credit. I expect him to hit that number this season with the Sharks, barring injury. Skinner should match that due to a contract year and having better centres.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Lots of sour grapes / Skinner's a Sabre now and Kane isn't in this thread.

It really shouldn't be much of a debate.  Skinner is Miroslav Satan.  Kane is a two-way player.  Now, there's a place for a Miro Satan and I'm glad we've got one, but Kane is a true NHL power forward.

Kane is a two way player? I don't know about that 

People are going to pick Skinner because they simply don't like Kane.

But, Kane can and does stick up for his teammates, and he plays a heavy game...while scoring the same amount of goals.

I'm worried this team is going to get pushed around.

(In an ideal world, you keep Kane and bring in Skinner/Sheary.)

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Dank Dangleson said:

But, Kane can and does stick up for his teammates, and he plays a heavy game...while scoring the same amount of goals.

Yep.

On Friday, August 03, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Doohickie said:

There's a disconnect in my mind:  The Canes fans say Skinner's terrible on defense.  When a forward is bad at defense, it's likely because he's lazy, slow, or stupid (i.e., doesn't understand his responsibilities).  I'm not hearing any of those to be true about Skinner, so why is he bad at defense?

Jack wasn't great at D but has gotten much better; hopefully they can get Skinner singing in that same choir.

Why was Briere bad at defense?  He wasn't lazy, slow, nor did he come across as particularly dumb; but he was bad in his own end.  Guys that are particularly focused on O oftentimes are notoriously bad in their own end.

On Friday, August 03, 2018 at 5:02 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Neither.

This is likely the correct answer.

If I had to choose 1, would probably take Skinner because Kane looked great on paper but (except for the 1st 30 or so games last season) never could put it all together In Buffalo & Housley had him glued to Eichel's side & I still didn't like those 2 together except in OT.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why was Briere bad at defense?  He wasn't lazy, slow, nor did he come across as particularly dumb; but he was bad in his own end.  Guys that are particularly focused on O oftentimes are notoriously bad in their own end.

This is likely the correct answer.

If I had to choose 1, would probably take Skinner because Kane looked great on paper but (except for the 1st 30 or so games last season) never could put it all together In Buffalo & Housley had him glued to Eichel's side & I still didn't like those 2 together except in OT.

I kinda think D is about being physical. If you are smaller, it's more difficult.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:20 AM, Weave said:

I completely disagree here. Kane was good at back checking, but once in the defensive zone, he was every bit the black hole that Eichel was/is. There's a reason those two bled goals against while playing together. Busted coverages, lack of recognition, movement without any effect. Ugh. Painful to watch. 

Anyway, I think Skinner and Kane are close enough overall where I wouldn't clearly pick one over the other in a vacuum. But I'm thinking (or maybe it's hoping) Skinner will bring a more effective complementary skill set. He's definitely a better passer and has clearly better hands with the puck, even if he holds onto it too much; I'm hoping he can make better plays with it. Time will tell, though. I think I'd rather have him on Mittelstadt's wing than Eichel's, but I'm not going to object to trying him and Eichel together. 

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I completely disagree here. Kane was good at back checking, but once in the defensive zone, he was every bit the black hole that Eichel was/is. There's a reason those two bled goals against while playing together. Busted coverages, lack of recognition, movement without any effect. Ugh. Painful to watch. 

Anyway, I think Skinner and Kane are close enough overall where I wouldn't clearly pick one over the other in a vacuum. But I'm thinking (or maybe it's hoping) Skinner will bring a more effective complementary skill set. He's definitely a better passer and has clearly better hands with the puck, even if he holds onto it too much; I'm hoping he can make better plays with it. Time will tell, though. I think I'd rather have him on Mittelstadt's wing than Eichel's, but I'm not going to object to trying him and Eichel together. 

I take solace in knowing you were wrong about Reinhart at center in the face of obvious proof too.  ?

A friendly reminder from a bastard with a decent memory: only 6.9% of you thought it was a good idea to pay Kane $7M AAV and only 10.3% of you thought it was a good idea to sign him to seven years.

Kane has put up 77 goals and 132 points in the past three years, while Skinner has put up 89 goals and 163 points.  Skinner is $5.725M this year.  Skinner is now playing with better forwards than he was.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, Dank Dangleson said:

I'm also scared this team is soft. I'm not sure it's as much as the roster as it is the coaching philosophy. The Panthers were soft until they brought in Spuddy and then Boogie. They seemed soft to start off last year, then they second half of the season they same players took to his coaching style and started pushing people around, not taking any . They ended up finishing with the best record in the NHL after the all-star game. 

Although i liked Kanes physicality I never really believed that he would sign back with Buffalo. He was to much of a bright lights type of guy.

Skinner I think is more skilled, not as physical but has a chippy attitude about him.

I really disliked him when ever we played Carolina. He always seemed to multi point games against us.

The fact that he waived his NTC to come here make me believe that if things go well this year for him and the team, that we have a good chance to sign him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.