How to fill the O’Reilly hole?

dudacek

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You still don't get it?  Last year was not an NHL season for the Sabres.  It was an 82-game training camp.  This year will be a transitional year from instructional to competitive; HCPH will be focusing on different things than he did last year.

That's some grade-A motivated reasoning you've got going on right there ?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack is 3 years into his career. His faceoff percentage has not improved at all. He still sits at 41%

Ryan O'Reilly started at 47.8%, he was above 50% by year 2 of his career and finished last year at 60%. There are players who were better at taking faceoffs and improved. Eichel thus far is not one of them. 

Jack Eichel is not getting there. 41%, 38.9% and 41.5% are his 3 years faceoff percentage accounting for 1600 faceoffs taken. Jack isn't torching anyone in faceoffs and Jack wasn't taking faceoffs against Crosby, ROR was, for the 3 years he was here. 

Friend, if you think I'm arguing that Eichel is good at faceoffs, you need to read what I'm saying a little more carefully. You said this: "

"Casey Mittelstadt is better at faceoffs than Jack Eichel. Hopefully that trend continues." I disagreed with this sentence exactly, and I did not make claims of Jack being great.

He'd torch Mittelstadt by virtue of having taken harder faceoffs than Casey ever has for 3 years. It's not a "Jack is better than Casey" thing. It's a "it takes every player years to figure this out, and Casey doesn't have that" thing. It's as simple as that. 

If you want proof, here you go: I just went through Natural Stat Trick and found every center Casey took faceoffs against for his 47.2% faceoff percentage. I could only access Jack's faceoff wins in the offensive zone against those players, but that still gave me a sample size of 126 faceoffs. Jack won 101 of them, or 80%. He almost doubled Casey's win percentage against those players. He'd destroy Casey in faceoffs 1v1, end of story. 

Mic drop

52 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

He's just making a subversive political statement.

Oh it's just a joke.  It's all over twitter.  

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...despite promising up and down that all of these would be limited to the club.

I probably said something once?  I don't know about "promising up and down."  And this wasn't political.  Come on.

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can you please provide the post where he promised such a thing? I would be curious to read it. 

I probably did say something once.  I don't remember, but I wouldn't deny it.

8 minutes ago, N S said:

That 11,

He caught me again.

Sorry bud.

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Friend, if you think I'm arguing that Eichel is good at faceoffs, you need to read what I'm saying a little more carefully. You said this: "

"Casey Mittelstadt is better at faceoffs than Jack Eichel. Hopefully that trend continues." I disagreed with this sentence exactly, and I did not make claims of Jack being great.

He'd torch Mittelstadt by virtue of having taken harder faceoffs than Casey ever has for 3 years. It's not a "Jack is better than Casey" thing. It's a "it takes every player years to figure this out, and Casey doesn't have that" thing. It's as simple as that. 

If you want proof, here you go: I just went through Natural Stat Trick and found every center Casey took faceoffs against for his 47.2% faceoff percentage. I could only access Jack's faceoff wins in the offensive zone against those players, but that still gave me a sample size of 126 faceoffs. Jack won 101 of them, or 80%. He almost doubled Casey's win percentage against those players. He'd destroy Casey in faceoffs 1v1, end of story. 

Mic drop

You should pick your mic back up. Until Casey plays a full season and you have more stats you don't get to the end the story. Considering Eichel is in year 4 and Casey about to be at year 1, if Casey leaves this year with a higher faceoff percentage we can close the story regardless of the centers Eichel faces. 

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh it's just a joke.  It's all over twitter.  

I probably said something once?  I don't know about "promising up and down."  And this wasn't political.  Come on.

giphy.gif

Edited by LGR4GM

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You should pick your mic back up. Until Casey plays a full season and you have more stats you don't get to the end the story. Considering Eichel is in year 4 and Casey about to be at year 1, if Casey leaves this year with a higher faceoff percentage we can close the story regardless of the centers Eichel faces. 

No, I got you. This is as clear evidence as we could get without the Sabres doing a direct faceoff competition. Against identical samples, Jack did far better than Casey. 80% to 47%. If Casey's sample is too small for this comparison, it's certainly too small for you to claim he's better than Jack like you did. Either way, the argument is finished and your initial point invalid. 

24 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

No, I got you. This is as clear evidence as we could get without the Sabres doing a direct faceoff competition. Against identical samples, Jack did far better than Casey. 80% to 47%. If Casey's sample is too small for this comparison, it's certainly too small for you to claim he's better than Jack like you did. Either way, the argument is finished and your initial point invalid. 

No it is not. I don't agree with your conclusion. I'd like to know how you calculated that 80% faceoff win number. Specifically which column you used in Nat Stat Trick. 

Also, I have put up with it long enough. Drop the arrogant attitude. We aren't friends. You didn't "get me". I might be wrong but I am not willing to concede that point yet and it doesn't make an argument invalid. 

Invalid implies a lack of logic. It is logical to look at Mittelstadt, even with a small sample size, and project that he will (could is a better word) be better than Jack Eichel who has shown no improvement in his faceoff abilities in 3 years of data. 

Edited by LGR4GM

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mic drop

This is why Doohickie started the SS Precision topic. He doesn't have time to look this kind of sh!t up. 

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I knew if anybody couldn't, you couldn't just let this go. As for his Mic, if he keeps dropping it, it won't be of any use again anyways.

10 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Is there a feature in the new Sabresspace where you can tag topics to be reminded about? I'd like to set a reminder at the end of the season to see whose better Jack vs. Casey on the dot.

Casey's 5 game sample size is way too small to determine if he's better than Jack.

In the upper right corner, there is a button to "Follow" this topic.

Again,  I'd like to know how RandallFlagg calculated that 80% faceoff win number. Specifically which column was used in Nat Stat Trick. This is for my own intellectual curiosity and learning. Piling through Nat Stat Trick is quite daunting at times. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.