Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

So is Kane in a vacuum a problem or not?

I personally don't think Kane was a problem. He was on an expiring contract, and the Sabres decided they weren't going to pay him the cap hit he could earn on the open market, so they moved him for what they could.

There may have been some issues with him and the party animal lifestyle early on, but I thought that was kind of nipped in the bud.  The problem that Kane presented is that JBot didn't want to pay him 7x$7M, so he cashed him out for what he could.

This is just being argumentative for being argumentative sake. 

That's pi in a nutshell, SDS.

They were just throw ins for salary, Thompson and the picks are all that really matter

I won't argue that point.  I'm not sure I agree with it, but it's one way to look at it.

Edited by Doohickie

Maybe Jbot is looking a bit further with regards to center depth than we are.

Eichel - Mittelstadt as our top 6 centers, But PU came close to having a 9 game tryout last year, and we have a lot of good young centers in the pipeline.

Trading O'Reilly really is a Luxury we could afford.

You show me an nhl team that can afford to trade a 60pt center.

They're not just a collection of friends singing kumbaya in the locker room, either. Some of the best teams in history across all sports have had guys who didn't get along off the ice.

I don't think it's whether they got along, I think it's the dynamic in the locker room and the effect ROR had on the ice because it was so easy to load him up with responsibility and not challenge the kids.  It also strikes me that ROR is kind of passive-aggressive in terms of saying, "I need to be better" and not calling out his team mates when what he really meant is "I give and I give and I give but what thanks do I get.  No one appreciates me!  :( "

Edited by Doohickie

I don't think it's whether they got along, I think it's the dynamic in the locker room and the effect ROR had on the ice because it was so easy to load him up with responsibility and not challenge the kids.  It also strikes me that ROR is kind of passive-aggressive in terms of saying, "I need to be better" and not calling out his team mates when what he really meant is "I give and I give and I give but what thanks do I get.  No one appreciates me!  :( "

FWIW, Andy Strickland was on WGR this morning and my take was that he pointed the finger at Jack. His claim is that he has spoken to other vets who didn't mesh well with him.

FWIW, Andy Strickland was on WGR this morning and my take was that he pointed the finger at Jack. His claim is that he has spoken to other vets who didn't mesh well with him.

Who pointed the finger at Jack?  Strickland or O'Reilly?

For sure.

Who pointed the finger at Jack?  Strickland or O'Reilly?

Strickland. Right after he said Berglund was about as a great a guy to have (he said he literally has never heard a bad thing about from ANY teammate, past or present), he hinted that there has been more than one veteran Sabre who did not get on well with Eichel.

I can buy this. Cocky kid who comes into the league as the next "generational talent" and thus far has been good but certainly not "generational."

Listened to the interview --unfortunately, Jeremy White, never followed up on the bombshell that he dropped surrounding Eichel -- talk about BAD journalism -- ugh

That's because he isn't a journalist.

I think we can all agree that this has been a roller coaster of a year. 

Bills make the playoffs on the last day of the season, Sabres mired in the bottom of the standings, Bills trade up for QB, then draft the most polarizing QB prospect we've seen, Sabres win draft lotto, Sabres trade O'Reilly., 

After reflecting on this trade I'm brought to this. I love ROR as a player. I hated to see him go...as a player. Nevertheless it seems we got back a return I didn't think we would. I never doubted in any trade the best player in the trade would be our guy. I didn't think we would get two serviceable NHL players,a first and second round draft pick and a good prospect for ROR. Further let's face it we were a last place hockey team. So as much as I'm sad he got traded I'm not as down on the return as many and at the end if the day we were last place with him.

They're not just a collection of friends singing kumbaya in the locker room, either. Some of the best teams in history across all sports have had guys who didn't get along off the ice.

You don’t have to like each other, you just have to be able to work toward the same goal.

Right. Which is where most of my anger comes from. There's likely negative value in those bodies, and the first is lotto protected, and the prospect is not in the Blues' top 4.

The certitude that Berglund and Sobotka are negative value continues to baffle me.

The casual dismissal of a first and second round draft pick is unrealistic, but that I get given the overwhelming desire to stop sucking now. It doesn’t change the fact they are valuable liquid currency.

The idea that Thompson is lacklustre because Kyrou and Thomas are better is false. It’s like saying Brendan Guhle is a bad prospect because Mittelstadt and Dahlin are better.

That's because he isn't a journalist.

True -- but, Strickland said past veterans who played with Jack had issues -- well, that number is pretty small, so, it would have been easy to press and say, Forward, Defense or Goalie ? --- etc.

My guess is it was second hand -- Strickland heard from one of the Blues that heard it from an ex-Sabre

Strickland. Right after he said Berglund was about as a great a guy to have (he said he literally has never heard a bad thing about from ANY teammate, past or present), he hinted that there has been more than one veteran Sabre who did not get on well with Eichel.

That is fairly interesting. 

You don’t have to like each other, you just have to be able to work toward the same goal.

The certitude that Berglund and Sobotka are negative value continues to baffle me.

The casual dismissal of a first and second round draft pick is unrealistic, but that I get given the overwhelming desire to stop sucking now. It doesn’t change the fact they are valuable liquid currency.

The idea that Thompson is lacklustre because Kyrou and Thomas are better is false. It’s like saying Brendan Guhle is a bad prospect because Mittelstadt and Dahlin are better.

Well, Jeremy Rutherford reported the Blues were trying to trade them for awhile. 

I wonder if O'Reilly had the audacity to tell Jack he should contemplate playing defense once in awhile. Maybe O'Reilly was hurting the room because he was demanding accountability from others, and wasn't getting it. There is as much evidence for this as there is any of the other nebulous stuff out there. This also a part of why I hate even talking about the room. We have no freaking clue. Neither do the beat reporters.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

According to St. Louis reporters, their GM had been "looking to unload them" "for a while." The talks about Berglund have been happening at least a year. If you go to their roster threads from 2 months ago, Sobotka and Berglund don't even make appearances in the top 12 most of the time out of wishful thinking. I have yet to be convinced that they have any trade value whatsoever. I have yet to be convinced they aren't contracts you can pick plenty of on the literal day that this happened, the day that was made for doing exactly that, without trading what could be your best player, and using him in a better trade for a better piece. Columbus, Colorado changed more publicly-known "culture problems" in their dressing rooms without taking huge blows on some of the only assets they have worth trading.

Our GM spoke like he just added valuable hockey players when the only thing I have to work with right now suggests they have similar effects on teammates as the bottom six that dragged us to where we are. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Fantastic we get 2 more salary dumps thatll be on the books for a few more years to add to the other ones we keep complaining about (bogosian, okposo, moulson), we get a prospect and not even a top prospect, but since he played in the NCAA Jbotts loves him, and pick which one is in 3 years. WTF!! He is in way over his head. The team got older and worse off, but hey we got more players than we dealt because that's always a win! I had high hopes for Jbott but man he just keeps denting that confidence I had. Im trying to trust what hes doing but after this trade he can f himself this is just more Sabres garbage. Well be in it for hughes next year and that is a swift kick in the nuts.

Well, Jeremy Rutherford reported the Blues were trying to trade them for awhile. 

I wonder if O'Reilly had the audacity to tell Jack he should contemplate playing defense once in awhile. Maybe O'Reilly was hurting the room because he was demanding accountability from others, and wasn't getting it. There is as much evidence for this as there is any of the other nebulous stuff out there. This also a part of why I hate even talking about the room. We have no freaking clue. Neither do the beat reporters.

PHam said ROR would ignore Eichel during on-ice celebrations and even said that he was told to "cut it out" -- he also said that he thought ROR had a problem with Eichel, but Eichel didn't have any issues with ROR

The Pham interview places more blame on ROR than Eichel and goes far enough to sound like ROR was petty and even jealous

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.