Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Moulson is still on the books... they didn't dump him on anybody. Bogo still on the books.

JBOt had last summer and now this summer to find creative ways to move them.. freeing up cap space to significantly improve the bottom 6 through 2 off-seasons of free agency and trade.

JBOT was billed as a cap genius, but nothing he's done strikes me as very impressive.

The bottom 6 still suck, bad contracts are still on the books and we're down two of our top point producers. Brilliant.

Sounds about right

Please enlighten me.

And why is Doug Wilson OK with Kane but JBot is not?

Probably the same reason we were okay with Kane when we first got him. Give Kane some time, I'd bet anything within 2 years there's another Kane controversy 

Boterill is quoted as saying they have a lot of playmakers and they are looking to add shooters to the team.

Thus his preference for Thompson.  Check the Welcome Thompson thread; I posted some Youtubes.  The interesting one is the UConn highlight reel.  But there are three of his NHL goals in that post.  He has a release like Jack..... stick handle, stick handle, all of a sudden it's in the back of the net.  He's got such a smooth release and quick transition from stick handling to shooting, it evokes Jack's slick wrister.

Why should I believe that we'll be a cup contender in 4 years? I was spouting and told the same thing in the throes of the tank and can go back to find the posts from everybody to prove it. We were getting a franchise center that was going to help us get there, along with ROR. So excuse me for being skeptical that Tage Thompson is the key.

Actually, I'd say the odds would be against us being a contender, but that's sports. What are the odds of being a contender keeping ROR? I'd say less. This is all playing the odds. Get younger, get chances at picking good players and play hockey, hopefully it works. For 30 teams next year it won't.

I like the trade because I think it increases our chances in the near future of being better. That's it.

The two teams that moved ROR because of "issues:"

-within 3 seasons of doing so finished with 48 points in the worst non-expansion season in the history of the sport 

-are the team described in my signature

Well, we will have to see where Buffalo finishes this year. 

SJ doesn't seem to think so. Or are you saying you trust a rookie GM more than a GM of a perennial Cup contender?

What a weird take.

Do you think Kane's influence in the Buffalo room is apt to be the same as it is in the SJ room? Eichel -v- Jumbo?

C'mon.

Doug Wilson's locker room isn't about 23 years old on average. 

Yep.

Isn't that what every team tries to do?

XGMTM cashed in too many of his "resource chips" on major deals that didn't pan out as well as hoped.  He swung for the fences and missed.  JBot is much more focused on improving the farm club than XGMTM which drives some posters crazy but is the way you build a consistently contending team (think Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago).  It doesn't last forever, but that's the way to build a team that isn't a flash in the pan.

What a weird take.

Do you think Kane's influence in the Buffalo room is apt to be the same as it is in the SJ room? Eichel -v- Jumbo?

C'mon.

Yep.

So is Kane in a vacuum a problem or not?

Well, we will have to see where Buffalo finishes this year. 

We could have a Colorado-style resurgence. I'm gonna watch every game rooting for it. My main contention point for the trade will still be that we got bad value because the guy who is excited to rely on Bogosian and McCabe to take loads off of Risto and shelter Dahlin is happy to get guys that were looking to be contract dumps for a year and plug them into important positions. 

no. St.Louis just sacrificed depth to add 1 piece. Teams trade picks all the time to add 1 year or a half year of a player. Botterill is cleaning house, I am not sure I trust him but maybe he's actually looking at a bigger picture. 

I'm sure he's looking at the bigger picture.  St. Louis is in a different position.  They're already competitive and are looking to be even more so.  In two or three years I expect JBot will make a similar trade or two to push the Sabres over the top.

What a bunch of old bingo ladies.  This trade makes total sense.  Years of losing, and the last person here to fix it didn't get it done.  JBots is trying a new direction.  It's exactly what needs to happen if the Sabres are going to find a way out of the failure loop.  What sucks is that fans may have to wait and see what happens, but for a supposed "hockey town" many fans seem pretty impatient and fairly ignorant of what it takes to make a hockey team work.

Did y'all notice sizzlemeister is back?

I did and was happy to see it!

Welcome back sizzle.  Don't be a stranger.

I don't always agree with P Hamilton... but He's right, ROR was not a good leader. 

Botterill is thinking big picture. I think his plan currently is to accumulate as much talent at all levels as he can. 

It's happening.

Liger is starting to come around on this one.

I don't really get all the hate for this deal.

OReilly was making 7.5 per a season, and matching that $ value with his skillset and the long length of the contract, yes Ryan has value: But how much? And considering his statements in the off-season as well, that raised a ref flag as well. And oh yeah, that incident off the ice. Another small red flag IMO.

Tage needs to develop more. Will Tage be elite? Doubtful. Can Tage be a Top 6 forward? Possibly.

Plus with the likelihood San Jose makes the playoffs this year, Buffalo now has 3 1st round picks in 2019.

There is still more to the story to be told.

XGMTM cashed in too many of his "resource chips" on major deals that didn't pan out as well as hoped.  He swung for the fences and missed.  JBot is much more focused on improving the farm club than XGMTM which drives some posters crazy but is the way you build a consistently contending team (think Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago).  It doesn't last forever, but that's the way to build a team that isn't a flash in the pan.

Exactly. Great post

I don't really get all the hate for this deal.

OReilly was making 7.5 per a season, and matching that $ value with his skillset and the long length of the contract, yes Ryan has value: But how much? And considering his statements in the off-season as well, that raised a ref flag as well. And oh yeah, that incident off the ice. Another small red flag IMO.

Tage needs to develop more. Will Tage be elite? Doubtful. Can Tage be a Top 6 forward? Possibly.

Plus with the likelihood San Jose makes the playoffs this year, Buffalo now has 3 1st round picks in 2019.

There is still more to the story to be told.

Why? I think all sides of this have been pretty clearly fleshed out.

Good morning! So... did I miss anything?

I feel the good in the trade... the conflict. The Amerks will be better this year (I'm assuming Thompson starts there). But there's a lot of Berglund years not to like, plus I don't see how he fits the type of roster JBot wants. There are still moves to be made, but I don't see the scoring replacement yet for Kane and O'Reilly. Overall I have a bad feeling about this (year). in 2019-20, I think this feels better, but always in motion is the future.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.