Off-season so far

GASabresIUFAN

I think Jbot and the Sabres are having a good off-season so far. I’m including the late season prospect signings in my analysis/opinion.

Quality NHL players added.

1) Mittelstadt - made a great late season debut 5pts in 6 games - MVP of Development Camp 3 on 3 Tourney. Looks like a 3C or 1/2 line W

2) Dahlin - we won the lottery and got the best D prospect since Potvin. Enough said.

3) Sheary - Jbot got a player he loves from his former organization for basically nothing.

4) Hutton - Lehner out. Hutton in on a fair contract 3yr 2.75. Hutton has improved over the last five years. Best case Tim Thomas.

5) Hunwick - part of the Sheary deal. A reliable 6/7 D with 2 years left.

Quality prospects acquired/signed

1) Dahlin

2) Mittelstadt

3) Olofsson - former 7th rd pick lead SHL in goals. Looked good in D camp

4) Asplund - former TM 2nd rd pick, has developed nicely in SHL. Should start in Roch

5) Borgen - Former 4th rd pick looks to have an NHL future.

6) Pilut - 22, SHL UfA who won SHL D of the year.

7) Hickey - Acquired rights to Hickey for failing prospect Fasching. Signed ELC. Another puck moving D prospect

8) Oglevie - NCAA UFA forward signed with us and may have a shot at making the team in camp.

9) UPL - signed UPL who may actually end up in Sudbury.

Roch depth improved with the additions such as Wedgewood in goal and by retaining Redmond, and others.

Despite no CHL players, Samuelsson and Pekar stand out (in addition to Dahlin) from this draft.

I think Jbot and the Sabres are having a good off-season so far. I’m including the late season prospect signings in my analysis/opinion.

Quality NHL players added.

1) Mittelstadt - made a great late season debut 5pts in 6 games - MVP of Development Camp 3 on 3 Tourney. Looks like a 3C or 1/2 line W

2) Dahlin - we won the lottery and got the best D prospect since Potvin. Enough said.

3) Sheary - Jbot got a player he loves from his former organization for basically nothing.

4) Hutton - Lehner out. Hutton in on a fair contract 3yr 2.75. Hutton has improved over the last five years. Best case Tim Thomas.

5) Hunwick - part of the Sheary deal. A reliable 6/7 D with 2 years left.

Quality prospects acquired/signed

1) Dahlin

2) Mittelstadt

3) Olofsson - former 7th rd pick lead SHL in goals. Looked good in D camp

4) Asplund - former TM 2nd rd pick, has developed nicely in SHL. Should start in Roch

5) Borgen - Former 4th rd pick looks to have an NHL future.

6) Pilut - 22, SHL UfA who won SHL D of the year.

7) Hickey - Acquired rights to Hickey for failing prospect Fasching. Signed ELC. Another puck moving D prospect

8) Oglevie - NCAA UFA forward signed with us and may have a shot at making the team in camp.

9) UPL - signed UPL who may actually end up in Sudbury.

Roch depth improved with the additions such as Wedgewood in goal and by retaining Redmond, and others.

Despite no CHL players, Samuelsson and Pekar stand out (in addition to Dahlin) from this draft.

It's possible that either Pilut or Olofsson or both make the lineup sometime this year.  If the SHL were a weaker European league or if they were in Canadian Juniors, this wouldn't be the case, but the SHL is a quarter step down from the KHL, and I expect these guys to step in, make the adjustment, and push for low level roster spots.  If they get Larsson'd up, that may not happen that soon, but it's possible.

I think some of the moves will pay off for the longer term and I certainly see improvement with the depth in our prospect pool, but I do not see a lot of immediate help from what JBot has done so far.  Really no upgrades at this point unless Mittelstadt and Dahlin can make an immediate impact.  We will see about Sheary, but he is not a replacement for Kane.  Not sure about Hutton and Ullmark has not been tested at the NHL level, so I am not convinced our situation in goal will be  much better than last year.  We will see.

It's possible that either Pilut or Olofsson or both make the lineup sometime this year. If the SHL were a weaker European league or if they were in Canadian Juniors, this wouldn't be the case, but the SHL is a quarter step down from the KHL, and I expect these guys to step in, make the adjustment, and push for low level roster spots. If they get Larsson'd up, that may not happen that soon, but it's possible.

WTF is Larsson up? A mid level prospect developing and landing almost exactly where he was supposed to?

I don't think he's done enough to this point, we'll see if he's got more to offer.

The only actual things you can credit him with doing for the Sabres immediately this offseason:

1. Conor Sheary trade. Really like it even if there's some risk that he's JAG.

2. Signed Carter Hutton.

3. Re-signed Scott Wilson.

That's it.

He drafted Mittelstadt last offseason and he was already a shoe-in for the roster coming into the offseason. Dahlin was luck of the draw. The rest are almost assuredly AHL players to start.

Bottom line so far is that this team is more talented and deeper now that it was in April.

I don't feel confident there's a meaningful improvement right now. It's the same exact roster they ended the season plus Sheary, Hutton and Dahlin. Dahlin was the biggest and only real needle mover there, but he came via luck.

WTF is Larsson up? A mid level prospect developing and landing almost exactly where he was supposed to?

Larsson spent a year in the AHL before coming to Rochester and Buffalo, and then his development stalled as he bounced between Buffalo and Rochester for two years before finally becoming a fixture on the fourth line.  He has a career high 17 points in an NHL season.

He originally projected to a quality 3rd line center that was capable of 35 points in his first pro year.  When he was traded to Buffalo, those were the expectations, with the understanding that it might take a year on the 4th line to develop that.  That never happened.  (And it doesn't help that he was injured half of last season.)  Even to this day, his role on the team is to be a proficient defensive center, and he struggles in this role.

I don't think he's done enough to this point, we'll see if he's got more to offer.

The only actual things you can credit him with doing for the Sabres immediately this offseason:

2. Signed Carter Hutton.

That's it.

He drafted Mittelstadt last offseason and he was already a shoe-in for the roster coming into the offseason. Dahlin was luck of the draw. The rest are almost assuredly AHL players to start.

I don't feel confident there's a meaningful improvement right now. It's the same exact roster they ended the season plus Sheary, Hutton and Dahlin. Dahlin was the biggest and only real needle mover there, but he came via luck.

I agree with this assessment.

And I'll add that Evander Kane is better than Sheary. I know we all hate Lehner, but Hutton is a stop-gap journeyman -- I hope he performs better than Lehner but as far as I'm concerned it is a wash. Dahlin is a great, lucky addition, but is he going to take a 31st place team to the playoffs in his rookie year? Probably not.

i have a bad feeling that this team is going to be awful. But if they trade O'Reilly, it is going to be worse. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

2. Signed Carter Hutton.

That's it.

I just don't think he should do a ton more.  We're in a complete rebuild and the young players we're relying on besides Eichel aren't ready to be built around.  Right now we just have no idea what we have in the B prospects group.  I guess I just don't know what I would expect JBot to do - we don't know what we need, yet or I should say we know what we need we just don't know what will be solved by young talent.  The needs are too many to satisfy in free agency - so I'd rather the vision be more clear.

2. Signed Carter Hutton.

That's it.

Exactly. I don’t know that we should be fawning over JBotts moves this off season. Other than obtaining Sheary, he did what every GM would have done.

And I’m a little concerned that he’s going to players he’s familiar with every time he fills a hole. I’d like to see some fruitful evaluation of players that were not previously in the Penguins organization.

I need to see out new goalie prove he’s a good 50 game goalie, and Sheary prove he can play with Jack and rack up points before I can give any credit.

We needed a goalie and he got Hutton

We needed a top 4 D and he got Dahlin

We needed speed up front and he got Sheary and Oglevie

We needed depth on D and he got Hunwick, Hickey, and Pilut

We needed real NHL wingers and he got Sheary.

We need a better dressing room and he exchanged Lehner for Hutton.

Considering Dahlin was literally luck, I’d say I’m underwhelmed so far.

Edited by dudacek

Exactly. I don’t know that we should be fawning over JBotts moves this off season. Other than obtaining Sheary, he did what every GM would have done.

And I’m a little concerned that he’s going to players he’s familiar with every time he fills a hole. I’d like to see some fruitful evaluation of players that were not previously in the Penguins organization.

I need to see out new goalie prove he’s a good 50 game goalie, and Sheary prove he can play with Jack and rack up points before I can give any credit.

at 32 years old, this would be the first season Hutton would have played more then half a season if he plays 50 games.....

We needed a goalie and he got Hutton

We needed a top 4 D and he got Dahlin

We needed speed up front and he got Sheary and Oglevie

We needed depth on D and he got Hunwick, Hickey, and Pilut

We needed real NHL wingers and he got Sheary.

We need a better dressing room and he exchanged Lehner for Hutton.

Considering Dahlin was literally luck, I’d say I’m underwhelmed so far.

These moves are what I expected from him.

I still think at least one big trade is coming. Then we'll see what things look like.

Depending what happens the rest of the way, it might be that he's deadly serious about drafting and developing. Not what everyone wants to see, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's looking to mostly hit singles while the next wave develops.

He should have plenty in the tank, then.

Did somebody say...tank? :p

*ducks*

Depending what happens the rest of the way, it might be that he's deadly serious about drafting and developing. Not what everyone wants to see, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's looking to mostly hit singles while the next wave develops.

I know it’s not a popular narrative here, but I think this team can win with a Risto Reinhart Eichel Mittlestadt Dahlin core, they just need to mature and have the right pieces put around them.

I just think it is crucial in their development to be in the playoff race this year.

Edited by dudacek

I know it’s not a popular narrative here, but I think this team can win with a Risto Reinhart Eichel Mittlestadt Dahlin core, they just need to mature and have the right pieces put around them.

I just think it is crucial in their development to be in the playoff race this year.

I agree completely.

100%. But without RoR, and with what we got back, we're gonna be top 5 picking again, and that is beyond detrimental for this young team.

Feeling better about the off-season now?

No, but it's less boring now :lol:

Hoss got his wish at least

Make me another in agreement with this. I'm hoping if ROR has to be traded it's for improvement now and going forward. This team is better with him in my opinion.

I just tried to put together a lineup for next season and we have so many forward combinations that it seems clear the Jbot isn’t finished clearing some dead wood (Girgensons and Larsson come to mind), but it also made clear how much depth Jbot has built in this organization in just over a year as GM.

While I think everyone hoped for a higher end player back in the ROR deal, I think this team is better overall even without ROR.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I just tried to put together a lineup for next season and we have so many forward combinations that it seems clear the Jbot isn’t finished clesring dome dead wood (Girgensons and Larsson come to mind), but it also made clear how much depth Jbot has built in this organization in just over a year as GM.

I’m not disagreeing at all, but I think the clearing is more likely to happen in the fall and leading up to the deadline.

I think Botterill has tried to create the same logjam in Buffalo as he had last year in Rochester in the hopes that the competition forces everyone to get better and the cream rises.

The dead wood gets jettisoned, after it gets passed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.