Off-season so far

GASabresIUFAN

No, you're right.

(Both of you.)

The other thing that's interesting is that the two roster players and prospect coming back for ROR are all listed as centers (at least in some of the material).  I think Thompson will play wing, but we don't know whether Berglund or Sobotka will play center.  Or both.  Or neither.

I have a feeling that JBot traded with St Louis because he knew what he'd get back and wanted all of it, even the "cap dump" players.  He can slide them up and down the bottom nine, and back and forth between C and LW... whatever works best for the team.  He can start one or both at C, then if/when he decides, he can try Reinhart or Mittelstadt or whoever at C, but the younger players don't *have to* play C if JBot doesn't want them to.  Those two veterans bring a lot of flexibility to the roster.

Fun fact:  Compared to the money that would have been paid to ROR, the trade is cap neutral for the Sabres (more or less) for the first two years, but then turns into a cap dump for the Sabres when Sobotka and Thompson* come off, and then after two more years, Berglund comes off.  Meanwhile St Louis will still have ROR for another year.  it was billed as a cap dump for St Louis, but it's really a cap dump for the Sabres, and will give JBot flexibility when signing some of our youth to future contracts.

*I expect Thompson will be signed when he comes off his current ELC, but that's the Sabres call.

Edited by Doohickie

I would have hoped that we would sign at least one decent free agent forward, preferably one that played LW.  I wonder if we pursued any available free agents.  Probably tough to get a quality free agent to come here because of our last place finish.

Was this trade also made with expansion in mind?

Well, they would've had to protect ROR. Not sure if they'll need to protect Tage (I hate that name, T-A-G-E, who the names their kid Tage, sounds like a girl's name).... anyway, Beglund and Sobotka will both likely be exposed... Hutton too but he'll be aged out prolly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.