Trotz resigns from Caps

GASabresIUFAN

Trotz was 2 losses against CBJ in the first round from getting canned this past season.

We have these stories every year it seems.  This sounds exactly like Claude Julien in Boston.  The hockey gods really like to string us along before spitting in our faces.

I mean he racked up 3 Cups and a more Conference Finals appearances too. Little different 

This board has taught me that conference finals appearances don't matter, and those 3 cups are more Bylsma-esque than anything.  (I.e., right place at the right time.)

Coaches who are able to "do more with less" are the ones who impress me.

Edited by Eleven

This board has taught me that conference finals appearances don't matter, and those 3 cups are more Bylsma-esque than anything.  (I.e., right place at the right time.)

Coaches who are able to "do more with less" are the ones who impress me.

Coaches who are able to groom and grow their talent are what impress me. Quennenville took quite a few young players and made them better in his system and dominated, they played the right way. Byslma had 2 superstars and got dominated in his 1 Cup Final win and 2 Cup Finals appearances. He was lucky to win his Cup, Chicago never was

Babcock, same thing. He took a lot of young talent in Detroit and made it into something

Babcock, same thing. He took a lot of young talent in Detroit and made it into something

Have you looked at the roster he had in Det when he became their coach? Did you look at the roster 2 years later when they won the Cup? Ages when he arrived in ( ).

Zetterberg (24) Lidstrom (36), Datsyuk (27), Holmstrom(32), Franzen (25), Osgood (32), Samuelsson (28) and Cleary (26) were all established players when he got there. Not exactly a kiddie core. The only true kids on the Cup team were Filppula and Hudler and their impact was significantly less then additions of aging vets Hasek and Rafalski. I like Babcock as a coach, but he came into a loaded situation and road the wave until the talent wore out and then went to Toronto.

Quenneville is a master at the thing I would kill for Phil to become competent at. 

So is Trotz, actually.

Being able to eat a deep dish pizza in 1 sitting? Weird but okay.

I thought it was growing a killer 'stache.

I thought it was getting maximum effort.

2ckmi9.jpg

I thought it was getting maximum effort.

2ckmi9.jpg

This post should have come with a trigger warning.  Seeing Teds and the word "tank" in such close proximity caused me to hear the most awful, blood-curdling noise... it took a few seconds to realize it was actually me screaming.

Right? I feel like this is all just because he finally got over the hump and won a Cup. He was this close to losing early in the playoffs, again, and the fact that he finally didn't, all of the sudden people are clamoring for him? Just a ton of recency bias

This is a great point, and a fascinating aspect of sports analysis in general.

Is Brady no longer the GOAT if Pete Carroll does what anyone else in the world would have done, and ran Lynch at the goal line? Even though in both situations Brady would have done literally nothing different? Some would be saying so, if he had 4 titles instead of that unique-for-a-QB 5.

It touches on one of my biggest pet peeves in sports, the greatness defined by championship argument.

Trotz is an excellent coach, but a lot of things have to come together for anyone to win the cup, and some of that is luck. He was starting to look like the Marty Shottenheimer of hockey, always good in the regular season crap in the playoffs, until finally this year a little luck, a little timing, some breaks, some goaltending moments and he finally won one. If he hadn't won it all this year he'd have been fired. The timing for us to hire him is wrong, and imo he does not fit with what they want to do here. If Housley doesn't pan out we'll probably wish we had him, but if Tavares doesn't sign on the Island Trotz's bubble will likely burst and fans there will wonder why he got a 5 year deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.