Trotz resigns from Caps

GASabresIUFAN

We'd be very stupid to make this phone call. Not only do I think Trotz is overrated, but we just got a HC ffs

I'm of two minds. I think one should always explore options, but I think one should also avoid doing things that make you or your company look like a circus.

I'm not sure this would make us look like a circus. Hiring the Cup-winning coach isn't exactly promoting Ron Rolston.

It would definitely make us look like a circus. We change Head Coaches, again, right after we've already committed to one, right before the draft and Free Agency?

It would definitely make us look like a circus. We change Head Coaches, again, right after we've already committed to one, right before the draft and Free Agency?

The opportunity to hire Trotz literally didn't exist until today. I don't think it's a bad look timing-wise. On the other hand, you could certainly argue firing Housley after only 1 year is a bad look. Either way, I don't think it's a circus look.

The opportunity to hire Trotz literally didn't exist until today. I don't think it's a bad look timing-wise. On the other hand, you could certainly argue firing Housley after only 1 year is a bad look. Either way, I don't think it's a circus look.

The opportunity to hire better coaches than Trotz has existed before today. It's not how good the coach is, it's the uncertainty and disbelief in our own guy, who we had a very extensive process for, after 1 year. It would make our entire hiring and evaluation process laughable, and make our judgement and commitment to anything suspect at best

Edited by WildCard

The opportunity to hire better coaches than Trotz has existed before today. It's not how good the coach is, it's the uncertainty and disbelief in our own guy, who we had a very extensive process for, after 1 year. It would make our entire hiring and evaluation process laughable, and make our judgement and commitment to anything suspect at best

Maybe, maybe not. But the opportunity to hire the most recent Cup winner was most definitely not an option when we hired Housley. I think these are special circumstances. 

Edit: Mind you, I'm not exactly advocating for it. I just don't think there's any way we'd get slammed for doing so. Probably the harshest take would be "Housley got a raw deal, but....Cup winner."

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Maybe, maybe not. But the opportunity to hire the most recent Cup winner was most definitely not an option when we hired Housley. I think these are special circumstances. 

Edit: Mind you, I'm not exactly advocating for it. I just don't think there's any way we'd get slammed for doing so. Probably the harshest take would be "Housley got a raw deal, but....Cup winner."

Alain Vigneault is a better HC than Trotz, IMO

I don't think we'd get slammed in the media as much as slammed within the hockey world. Players, GM's, other teams are going to look at us like a clown show

You're nuts.

Like, in general?

Separately, how do you not pay the guy who just won you your first Stanley Cup? It's not like it counts against your cap or anything

Looking at some other boards, I guess Reirdan is the clear choice here. The Caps have been grooming him, expecting this to be Trotz' last year anyways 

Edited by WildCard

Alain Vigneault is a better HC than Trotz, IMO

I don't think we'd get slammed in the media as much as slammed within the hockey world. Players, GM's, other teams are going to look at us like a clown show

We are already looked at as a clown show.  The only difference if we hired Trotz is, they would call us a clown show with a Stanley Cup winning coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.