Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

I hate Bettman, but this was inevitable.  I wished they waited until he retired, but I also understand that the HHOF trys to induct builders before they die.

I can't imagine any commissioner sticking with a league as long as he has and not winding up in the HoF.  You're right though, it does seem a bit odd to do it while he's still on the job.

I get the antipathy towards Bettman, but at the end of the day the owners are really the bad guys in pretty much every situation in the history of ever, as it relates the the NHL.  

He's taken the abuse which really should be hurled at them with aplomb.  Not that he hasn't occasionally had it coming as well.

Daniel Carcillo doesn't think so.

Mild language:

https://twitter.com/CarBombBoom13/status/1011753047901573126?s=19

While I have a level of sympathy for players like Carcillo and Boynton and the players in football who suffered head injuries I also don't like how they want to absolve themselves of any level of responsibility in their own situation.

It's not the league's fault that a player suffered a head injury.  There may be things that could have been done to improve the situation, but the blame should be spread around.

The NHL may have ignored information.

The NHLPA should have stood up for the people it represents.

The players could have stood up for changes in the game or policed it themselves (through the NHLPA).

In the end, a player has to choose whether they will play or continue to play the game after they suffer a head injury.  Carcillo has said, "if i had known, I wouldn't have played".  Well, I don't think anyone knew definitively, but he knew how he felt when these injuries occurred.  He chose to go back out there because he loved the game (and I am sure because he wanted the money).

Bettman has grown the game of hockey.  Granted some of it is hockey growing itself.  But the NHL has by and large prospered with him in the role.  My only problem with selecting him is that it should not happen until he retired from the role.

While I have a level of sympathy for players like Carcillo and Boynton and the players in football who suffered head injuries I also don't like how they want to absolve themselves of any level of responsibility in their own situation.

It's not the league's fault that a player suffered a head injury.  There may be things that could have been done to improve the situation, but the blame should be spread around.

The NHL may have ignored information.

The NHLPA should have stood up for the people it represents.

The players could have stood up for changes in the game or policed it themselves (through the NHLPA).

In the end, a player has to choose whether they will play or continue to play the game after they suffer a head injury.  Carcillo has said, "if i had known, I wouldn't have played".  Well, I don't think anyone knew definitively, but he knew how he felt when these injuries occurred.  He chose to go back out there because he loved the game (and I am sure because he wanted the money).

Bettman has grown the game of hockey.  Granted some of it is hockey growing itself.  But the NHL has by and large prospered with him in the role.  My only problem with selecting him is that it should not happen until he retired from the role.

IMO the majority of these mental health issues players are facing after retirement are mostly due to drug abuse (opioids, depressants and stimulants)... not head injuries.    Post-addiction depression. 

It starts with opioids (painkillers), which are overly prescribed in general.. but are passed around like candy in the locker room.    It's part of being a pro... medicate yourself or lose your job to somebody who's willing to medicate themselves.

Mix in the rock-star lifestyle with copious amounts of party drugs, cocaine, etc... and oh by the way, you have get up at 8a for the gameday skate/practice... so you take an Ambien to come down off the high and get some sleep.   Even if you're not using cocaine, taking a depressant/sleep aid is the only way to get any reasonable amount of rest after a the high of a game night.        

After years of abuse, the chemical makeup of your brain changes permanently.   Post-addiction depression is real but IMO former players are just too proud to admit they're recovering addicts so they blame head injuries.    You didn't hear about these head-injury issues for retired players in the 50's and 60's and 70's even tho the sport was much more violent back then, drug abuse wasn't an issue.  

It's a vicious cycle.. painkillers, party drugs, sleep meds... and the more of these player tribune articles I read... the more evidence there is.. and you're being naive if you think it's just the goons who have this problem.   

It's a widespread issue and one that the NHL needs to address for the long term benefit of the players.    It starts with cutting back on opioids, perhaps banning them entirely in locker rooms, and handing out suspensions for cocaine use.

IMO the majority of these mental health issues players are facing after retirement are mostly due to drug abuse (opioids, depressants and stimulants)... not head injuries.    Post-addiction depression. 

It starts with opioids (painkillers), which are overly prescribed in general.. but are passed around like candy in the locker room.    It's part of being a pro... medicate yourself or lose your job to somebody who's willing to medicate themselves.

Mix in the rock-star lifestyle with copious amounts of party drugs, cocaine, etc... and oh by the way, you have get up at 8a for the gameday skate/practice... so you take an Ambien to come down off the high and get some sleep.   Even if you're not using cocaine, taking a depressant/sleep aid is the only way to get any reasonable amount of rest after a the high of a game night.        

After years of abuse, the chemical makeup of your brain changes permanently.   Post-addiction depression is real but IMO former players are just too proud to admit they're recovering addicts so they blame head injuries.    You didn't hear about these head-injury issues for retired players in the 50's and 60's and 70's even tho the sport was much more violent back then, drug abuse wasn't an issue.  

It's a vicious cycle.. painkillers, party drugs, sleep meds... and the more of these player tribune articles I read... the more evidence there is.. and you're being naive if you think it's just the goons who have this problem.   

It's a widespread issue and one that the NHL needs to address for the long term benefit of the players.    It starts with cutting back on opioids, perhaps banning them entirely in locker rooms, and handing out suspensions for cocaine use.

Thing is.. your insight only puts this even more on the players.  It's something I will never understand.

The players own ALL the bargaining power when it comes to the professional levels.  They are the talent.  They allow themselves to be used in the system that only moderately benefits them compared to billionaire owners.  

But, they play into the game.  They play by the games rules so they can live the life and when it's all done, there's regret for a few.

Thing is.. your insight only puts this even more on the players.  It's something I will never understand.

The players own ALL the bargaining power when it comes to the professional levels.  They are the talent.  They allow themselves to be used in the system that only moderately benefits them compared to billionaire owners.  

But, they play into the game.  They play by the games rules so they can live the life and when it's all done, there's regret for a few.

They have the power but they want the money.  To get better protections from themselves, they would have to give up some money I'm sure.  And when you're in your early 20s, you'd rather have the money and still have access to the opioids.

They have the power but they want the money.  To get better protections from themselves, they would have to give up some money I'm sure.  And when you're in your early 20s, you'd rather have the money and still have access to the opioids.

The players should elect a board that runs a league that caters to their needs.  The current owners could pound sand.  People don't pay money to see the owners.

Ultimately it boils down to their desire and ability to coordinate efforts into a comprehensive business is not strong enough.  So they choose to cede control over their talent to the whims of others.

Ultimately it boils down to their desire and ability to coordinate efforts into a comprehensive business is not strong enough. So they choose to cede control over their talent to the whims of others.

Those who are less educated will always be taken advantage of.

The players should elect a board that runs a league that caters to their needs.  The current owners could pound sand.  People don't pay money to see the owners.

Ultimately it boils down to their desire and ability to coordinate efforts into a comprehensive business is not strong enough.  So they choose to cede control over their talent to the whims of others.

I would assume now that players could opt out of their union too. Should be fun. 

It's mildly promising that Pittsburgh is making a high volume of inefficient-to-bad moves now that Botterill isn't there, unlike before.

Yea that is interesting. It seems Botterill was keeping the ship floating and now they be dumb. 

Penguin fans commenting on FB regarding the Sheary trade were lamenting that it seemed to be opening the door for Jack Johnson and it was not viewed as a great idea...

It's going to be some bad times in the 'burgh.

"The new charge filed this week defines harassment as someone who "repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy" another person, and "serve no legitimate purpose."..... so we are finally charging the Sens for the criminality of the Lehner trade?

"The new charge filed this week defines harassment as someone who "repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy" another person, and "serve no legitimate purpose."..... so we are finally charging the Sens for the criminality of the Lehner trade?

1467675031916.gif