Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

Other teams seem to hit on impact players outside of the top 5. With the exception of maybe Casey, do you think anyone in that list will be a 60 point guy? or a 30 point D man.

Role players are good and needed, but we dont have that spark.

Liger already answered but Casey, Jack, Sam and Rasmus2 are as promising as any under 25 group in the league so it’s not the big guns that are needed. My point was, not even Charlie knows how many players will hit from 2013 to 2018. It’s too early, particularly for the late bloomers.

Two of the four were drafted in the late 20s. That's my point, you have to get impact players outside the top 5 if you want remain outside the bottom 5

No, you just have to get impact players.

That's not always true.  The Chicago Blackhawks have won a lot, but they were not good last season.  

The Rangers were once a team that just signed free agents.. they won, but never anything that mattered.

Roster management is critical and just signing whomever you want to make the team better now will ultimately bite you in the rear-end.  

I know it's not always true, but it is sure as all heckfire true for the Sabres right now.

We were sold the whole "we don't want to mortgage the future" BS for over a decade with Regier, only to give away the present and still end up with a steaming pile of dog####. We need to improve any way we can.

I'm pretty sure, too, that Rangers fans would rather have lost in the SCFs than the season they just had.

Here's the question.  The definition of better as narrowly defined by where you finish the regular season, yes.  If, however, you consider that it also does not guarantee a top 3 draft position in the following draft one might argue that it reduces your ability to improve the overall talent through the draft.  As such, is finishing 26th more important than finishing 30th (or 31st really).  I would prefer to finish dead last than finish 26th. 

In fact, if you are not finishing within the top 20 and more importantly are not in the hunt for a wild card spot I would prefer to finish last.

I agree with this conceptually, but there's not much of a way to game this out before the season happens. I'm of the opinion the Sabres can be in the playoff mix, despite the putrid season that "just" ended. It'll require some luck and some savvy moves, but Vanek is one of those savvy moves. Getting some depth production for a low price point is, I think we can all agree, critical to team success--whether it comes from ELCs or cheap vets, it has to happen. Besides, Vanek on his own isn't getting us 4 wins; the difference between finishing 31st and 26th isn't going to be Thomas Vanek. But he could certainly be part of a package of changes that has the cumulative effect of getting us within spitting distance of the playoffs.

I agree with this conceptually, but there's not much of a way to game this out before the season happens. I'm of the opinion the Sabres can be in the playoff mix, despite the putrid season that "just" ended. It'll require some luck and some savvy moves, but Vanek is one of those savvy moves. Getting some depth production for a low price point is, I think we can all agree, critical to team success--whether it comes from ELCs or cheap vets, it has to happen. Besides, Vanek on his own isn't getting us 4 wins; the difference between finishing 31st and 26th isn't going to be Thomas Vanek. But he could certainly be part of a package of changes that has the cumulative effect of getting us within spitting distance of the playoffs.

Is he a guy who is going to change the culture in the locker room though?

Beyond what he does on the ice, there was always the question of him and the rest of that core having what it takes to really be winners.

And completely true that there's no way to game it out.  I just don't see Vanek bringing enough to the team to really make an impact. 

Taylor Hall just won the Hart and there isn't a single Edmonton fan that isn't livid with Chiarelli.

Barzal winning the Calder must also sting the Oilers fans. NY took him with the pick they got from Edmonton in exchange for... Griffin Reinhart. Ouch.

Barzal winning the Calder must also sting the Oilers fans. NY took him with the pick they got from Edmonton in exchange for... Griffin Reinhart. Ouch.

Boston had all 3 picks prior to Barzal. They took Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk. While 2 of them you could argue for, the senyshyn pick should always be remembered when compared to Barzal. Absolute stupidity from the Boston front office. 

Boston had all 3 picks prior to Barzal. They took Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk. While 2 of them you could argue for, the senyshyn pick should always be remembered when compared to Barzal. Absolute stupidity from the Boston front office. 

It still feels like they were never prepared to actually use those three consecutive picks and just winged it.

It still feels like they were never prepared to actually use those three consecutive picks and just winged it.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, all 3 picks almost seemed 'off the board'.  Debrusk had a nice rookie season though.

Seems likely. It was so weird.

They fired Chiarelli right before that draft. But Sweeny was their AGM for years beforehand, so it wasn't some brand new guy who didn't know the scouts and had just a few weeks to prepare. They really did flub that. 

Zemgus Girgensons and Dan Bylsma have purchased an equity stake in the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL along with Johnny Gaudreau and a Florida Panthers Executive

You could not have picked a weirder collection of people

Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

But anyway, Zemgus and Gaudreau both played there. I'm not sure of any Bylsma connection.

City is a well known white board manufacturer. They even have a museum.