Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not going to say they'll regret that contract...but they're going to completely regret that contract. 

He’s currently fifth in the league in scoring and is 27. The tail end will be rough but that’s the same thing we’re looking at with Skinner (and Duchene is both better and a center).

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’s currently fifth in the league in scoring and is 27. The tail end will be rough but that’s the same thing we’re looking at with Skinner (and Duchene is both better and a center).

It's nice to see Duchene's reputation continues to considerably overrate his ability. He hasn't scored 60 points since 2013 and has only done so twice* in his 9-year career! And we know he sure as hell doesn't bring any defensive value.

*He had 47 in 48 games in the lockout year.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Duchene is a center but Skinner is most assuredly a better goal scorer. 

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Okay. Sure. But Duchene is still better.

In what way? Blanket statement like that is hard to discuss. They play different positions. Do you mean overall? Maybe. I think there are several areas that Skinner is better than Duchene. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In what way? Blanket statement like that is hard to discuss. They play different positions. Do you mean overall? Maybe. I think there are several areas that Skinner is better than Duchene. 

Jumping into this conversation to say that I think for the Sabres purposes Skinner's skill set is more what we need than Duchene would be.

A lot depends on team context.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Better passer which is the easy one. They’re close as far as goal scoring goes (Duchene better at creating his own shot and shot generation in general but I’d still give Skinner the nod as a scorer). Better possession forward but that’s why he’s a center and Skinner is a wing. Neither are elite defenders but Duchene is better at carrying out of his own zone (might still be a product of position).

Duchene is less reliant on those around him.

I mean Skinner played with terrible centers for years and still produced 5v5 so I don't agree with this. 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Duchene is less reliant on those around him.

Darren DregerVerified account @DarrenDreger 3m3 minutes ago
MoSounds like another coach casualty as sources suggest Ken Hitchcock is replacing Todd Mclellan on the Oilers bench.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean Skinner played with terrible centers for years and still produced 5v5 so I don't agree with this. 

Early in his career he was with Eric Staal the most and produced. Then he spent a lot of time with young Elias Lindholm and his production slowed. Victor Rask and Elias Lindholm were his centers for the biggest chunk of his career-high 37 goal year. Not elite but not terrible.

I want to say everyone Sabre is elite and better than anyone else but there are better players out there.

Just now, LGR4GM said:
John ShannonVerified account @JSportsnet 2m2 minutes ago
Ken Hitchcock has replaced Todd McLellan as coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

That’s terrible.

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Early in his career he was with Eric Staal the most and produced. Then he spent a lot of time with young Elias Lindholm and his production slowed. Victor Rask and Elias Lindholm were his centers for the biggest chunk of his career-high 37 goal year. Not elite but not terrible.

I want to say everyone Sabre is elite and better than anyone else but there are better players out there.

That’s terrible.

First, drop the attitude with this line and that is not what I am saying. 

Second, Duchene has topped 30goals once. He has topped 60pts once. He was the 2nd center on a team with Nathan McKinnon. Who were Duchene's wingers that he was making better? 

Third, Skinner has topped 30 goals 3 times with by your own admission, not the best centers. He's topped 60pts twice. He's I believe 2nd in the NHL in 5v5 goals since 2015. He scored 51 and 63 points in the 2 years directly after Staal was traded meaning he played 0 games with him. 

SO you keep trying to downplay how good Skinner is while using nothing to demonstrate how good Duchene is in comparison. What am I missing? Skinner is good, all on his own but he is better with Eichel. I bet Duchene is better with better players too. Both players are good. I would rather have Skinner than Duchene because Skinner is on fire and looking great. Duchene can also be good. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

They might be without Bergeron and Chara for the three games we play against them four/five weeks from now.

I think except for Krug , their entire D is injured.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:
John ShannonVerified account @JSportsnet 2m2 minutes ago
Ken Hitchcock has replaced Todd McLellan as coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Wasn't he retired after dallas ?