Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

They get taxed in the state they play, no?  So any advantage is half an advantage, home games.

Not insignificant. 

At most half. Deductions too, charitable or otherwise. Plus endorsement money is likely larger in a place like NYC than in Nashville, regardless of tax differences.

28 minutes ago, Weave said:

They get taxed in the state they play, no?  So any advantage is half an advantage, home games.

Not insignificant. 

Less than half. You get 41 home games, but you, at minimum, would have played in that arena if you were on a different team at least once. If it's a division team, could be more. So really it's somewhere south of or equal to 40 games.

Edited by WildCard

7 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Come back and see us.  You'll be amazed at the difference.  Also, take Panarin back to Buffalo with you.  Maybe Bob as well.  We'll see how the Buffalo goalies do this year.  Probably a safe bet that we could always use a multiple Vezina Trophy winner though.

Are you the fookin mayor or something.?

10 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Wow, you two need to get out more because despite the outdated stereotypes and views, Columbus is thriving.  Population booming.  Just food-wise, the food trucks, fast casual, breweries, and restaurants, are as a whole, varied and excellent.  Not going to stick up for Ohio as a whole because, like much of New York state, there are large swaths of nothing.

But, back to my point, it seems like a place that young, rich athletes would like to be because of all there is to do here.  With a decent team and I doubt they get bothered or recognized much when they're out on the town.  It just seems that Bob and Panarin will likely be traded this season at some point.

So, do all this food trucks and breweries and shyt have pictures of the food on their menus?

16 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

The cost would be very high for either.  Both could help the Sabres obviously.  Any interest in Panarin especially?  Is Buffalo even a desired destination for him?  What would it take to get him?

I would cries tears of joy if we acquired Bobrovsky

For any others on here who are goaltenders and/or connoisseurs the art of goaltending, he is such a joy to behold

Edited by erickompositör72

On 9/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Eleven said:

Does Columbus have any restaurants with menus that aren't laminated with photos of the food in them?  (Actually, this might go for the whole state.)

Anyway.  I don't want the Sabres to pay what it would take to get Panarin, unless Columbus only wants picks or something AND a deal to retain him is worked out in advance.

I know you’re just having fun, and there are PLENTY of places in rural Ohio that deserve mocking...

But Columbus torches anything in WNY when it comes to food/beer/nightlife scene. I was born and raised in Rochester. Lived in Buffalo all through school. I was convinced I should never leave. Was ready to throw down the roots, start my family there, live and die. But my wife’s career brought us down to Columbus. And holy was I wrong about wanting to stay put. Now I couldn’t imagine ever going back there. And the local food here is a big part of it. 

I love Buffalo. It’s an incredible hockey market. But i don’t think that’s what Panarin is looking for. I think he’s a bit of a diva looking for the superficial stuff. And you’re wasting your time mentioning Buffalo if Columbus isn’t good enough for him ? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EichSnipe said:

I know you’re just having fun, and there are PLENTY of places in rural Ohio that deserve mocking...

But Columbus torches anything in WNY when it comes to food/beer/nightlife scene. I was born and raised in Rochester. Lived in Buffalo all through school. I was convinced I should never leave. Was ready to throw down the roots, start my family there, live and die. But my wife’s career brought us down to Columbus. And holy was I wrong about wanting to stay put. Now I couldn’t imagine ever going back there. And the local food here is a big part of it. 

I love Buffalo. It’s an incredible hockey market. But i don’t think that’s what Panarin is looking for. I think he’s a bit of a diva looking for the superficial stuff. And you’re wasting your time mentioning Buffalo if Columbus isn’t good enough for him ? 

It's ok; I eat at RubyTGIAppleDenny's once in a while, too.  (Usually when I'm traveling through or in Ohio.)

Edited by Eleven

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's ok; I eat at RubyTGIAppleDenny's once in a while, too.  (Usually when I'm traveling through or in Ohio.)

Have your fun, have your fun. Next time you find yourself traveling through, give me a shout ? I'll show you Wendy's corporate headquarters AND hook you up with a local brew ?

9 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

Have your fun, have your fun. Next time you find yourself traveling through, give me a shout ? I'll show you Wendy's corporate headquarters AND hook you up with a local brew ?

I think we're done here.

But if I ever dirty my shoes with Columbus dust again, I surely will look you up!  (Same goes for you next time you come here.  And you know you will.)

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think we're done here.

But if I ever dirty my shoes with Columbus dust again, I surely will look you up!  (Same goes for you next time you come here.  And you know you will.)

The Wendy’s thing was a joke.. I guess we’re both swinging and missing. 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Just get here for the next SS meetup for some proper wings and I'l buy you the first of whatever you drink.  

Fine, but I’m ordering boneless wings with a side of ranch, just to rile you ?

In all seriousness, I’ll make it to a meet up at some point to see you crazy folks. As it currently stands, Nov. 3 Sabres/Nov. 4 Bills is my only scheduled trip for games. But that can always change. 

This offseason was insane. So often there are players on the block forever that never end up actually getting moved. I can’t really think of many that didn’t end up getting moved this offseason. Justin Faulk is the only one I can think of.

Karlsson to San Jose

Pacioretty to Las Vegas

Skinner to Buffalo

Tavares to Toronto

O’Reilly to St. Louis

Hoffman to Florida

Kovalchuk to LA

Hamilton to Carolina

Hanifin and Lindholm to Calgary

Galchenyuk to Arizona

Domi to Montreal

Bozak to St. Louis

JVR to Philly

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. I didn’t include most free agent switches, just the ones that are guys leaving franchises they’ve been with for a while that means something.

All this and Rick Nash still hasn’t really went one way or the other on playing next year.

Edited by Hoss

I won't lie, I loved Columbus, I went there for some training at the central Ohio trauma system, stayed in Gahanna (sp) went to the zoo, Jenis ice cream, the sausage house in Germantown, went to the Victorian neighborhood and then to a giant food mall downtown near the coolest antique shop I've ever seen. Def will go back! 

14. You’ll remember that Washington traded defenceman Brooks Orpik to Colorado at the draft. The Avalanche bought out Orpik from the one season remaining on his contract, and he went back to the Capitals one month later. Savings for Washington: $4 million in cap space. A couple of weeks ago, the league notified the individual clubs that it reviewed the situation, and explained its concerns. Teams viewed the memo as a warning, that if the NHL could make an example of someone, it would.

From friedman, so that won't happen again ?

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Karlsson expected to receive an 8 year contract offer from the Sharks

https://www.nhl.com/news/sharks-erik-karlsson-expected-to-get-eight-year-contract-offer/c-300157042

This makes sense for them. While he’s still elite they’ll have Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Jones, Kane and probably like 17 other guys I’m forgetting in their prime. It would be a disappointment if that core doesn’t win one or even a couple cups.

Should be looking at a worst-case of two years of a struggling Karlsson who already has a few rings on his fingers.

Edited by Hoss

On 9/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, Thwomp! said:

Wow, you two need to get out more because despite the outdated stereotypes and views, Columbus is thriving.  Population booming.  Just food-wise, the food trucks, fast casual, breweries, and restaurants, are as a whole, varied and excellent.  Not going to stick up for Ohio as a whole because, like much of New York state, there are large swaths of nothing.

But, back to my point, it seems like a place that young, rich athletes would like to be because of all there is to do here.  With a decent team and I doubt they get bothered or recognized much when they're out on the town.  It just seems that Bob and Panarin will likely be traded this season at some point.

I wasn't knocking Columbus at all, I really like the city.  I go there anytime the Sabres are playing and we eat and drink in the arena district which is amazing.  I am always surprsied when people say Columbus is a sh!thole, probably because they have never been there.  I was just going along with the joke that a lot of restaurants are in fact littered with pictures, nothing more.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:02 AM, Hoss said:

This offseason was insane. So often there are players on the block forever that never end up actually getting moved. I can’t really think of many that didn’t end up getting moved this offseason. Justin Faulk is the only one I can think of.

Karlsson to San Jose

Pacioretty to Las Vegas

Skinner to Buffalo

Tavares to Toronto

O’Reilly to St. Louis

Hoffman to Florida

Kovalchuk to LA

Hamilton to Carolina

Hanifin and Lindholm to Calgary

Galchenyuk to Arizona

Domi to Montreal

Bozak to St. Louis

JVR to Philly

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. I didn’t include most free agent switches, just the ones that are guys leaving franchises they’ve been with for a while that means something.

All this and Rick Nash still hasn’t really went one way or the other on playing next year.

I think one thing we learned this year, from the Kane, Hoffman, ROR, Skinner, and Karlsson trades, is that seemingly high value players don't actually garner that high a value in the trade market. Teams have a limit on how much they're willing to spend regardless of the value of a player.

58 minutes ago, sabills said:

I think one thing we learned this year, from the Kane, Hoffman, ROR, Skinner, and Karlsson trades, is that seemingly high value players don't actually garner that high a value in the trade market. Teams have a limit on how much they're willing to spend regardless of the value of a player.

Which, in hindsight, makes sense in a salary capped league.  It only makes sense for teams to bid on these guys if they have that particular hole AND the cap room to make them work.  Fewer bidders on any one player usually results in a lower price to obtain him.

Though we initially hear of 8-10 teams kicking the tires on any one deal, it seems for most of these guys there are really only 2-3 legit bidders, if even that many.