Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Benched, he was quite disappointing for them

Thought so, but my memory of yesterday is hazy, let alone May.  And Montreal is taking on money in the deal. Hmmm....

Also, I just looked at CapFriendly and was reminded of Shea Weber's contract...

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

That’s a good deal for Montreal. I like Suzuki. They got a pick, too, and Tatar should still be useful once he gets back on track.

Surprised at the deal. For once it doesn't look like Bergevin got outright hosed in a deal

On 9/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, pi2000 said:

Money drives him, it makes him tick.   Once has more money in his bank account than be ever dreamed of he'll lose his drive to play and train and stay in peak condition. 

He might not even notice the little things he'll stop doing, but it will show on the ice and on the scoresheet.   

It won't take much of a drop off before he gets crucified by the Toronto media.  

Image result for nicholson yes gif

(no idea whether what pi says will come to pass -- but let it be so!)

@reporterchris
Montreal retained 10% of Max Pacioretty's contract in the deal with Vegas. The Golden Knights retained 9.34% on Tomas Tatar -- giving the #habs a $500,000 AAV savings for the two seasons beyond this coming one.

@EricEngels
Marc Bergevin said the trade was contingent on Pacioretty signing long term with Vegas

Vegas is losing me. I get making the trades they did at the deadline to try and win it all. But why would you trade Suzuki? He is a super late 99 bday for his draft class and torched the OHL in back to back years. Vegas is a brand new franchise that needs to build a prospect pool from basically scratch so they go and trade their 2nd best prospect for a guy about to turn 30 who plays wing. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. It is bad move for Vegas but a good one for Montreal considering Pac wasn't signing there anyway. On top of that, Vegas has to sign a 30yr old Pac to a new deal which will probably fall in the 6-7mil range for 4-7 years. It just doesn't make sense for Vegas to do this especially considering there prospect pool which I would now rank in the bottom half of the NHL. 

Bottom line, you don't trade young offensive centers for old aging wingers. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Vegas is in "win-now" mode. Than franchise has been through too much and the fans can't stomach another year without a Stanley Cup.

Highest winning percentage of all time, yet they've never won the cup.  I miss the days when that was us.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Vegas:NHL::Bills:NFL

Okay, I don't think they crash that hard. But I definitely think last year will be shown to have been more mirage than solid foundation.

What specifically is going to tank their team shooting percentage (8th - Karlsson may well score 10 fewer goals and Perron may be missed, but Patches could have a renaissance) or save percentage (12th - if anything, even if Fleury gets worse, I would imagine they will get better play from their backups than they did last year)? I recall underlying numbers and simple observation suggesting that team will be just fine and a comfortable playoff team, if not a division winner.

I wouldn't mind being wrong though

I would be worried about Karlsson scoring 20 less goals (9sh%) and Fleury giving up say 17 more goals(916sv%) this year, that could change a lot. Does Pacioretty make up for those 37 goals? Maybe but that assumes everyone else is good. I think they will be a playoff team. I don't think they will make the cup final again. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Vegas is losing me. I get making the trades they did at the deadline to try and win it all. But why would you trade Suzuki? He is a super late 99 bday for his draft class and torched the OHL in back to back years. Vegas is a brand new franchise that needs to build a prospect pool from basically scratch so they go and trade their 2nd best prospect for a guy about to turn 30 who plays wing. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. It is bad move for Vegas but a good one for Montreal considering Pac wasn't signing there anyway. On top of that, Vegas has to sign a 30yr old Pac to a new deal which will probably fall in the 6-7mil range for 4-7 years. It just doesn't make sense for Vegas to do this especially considering there prospect pool which I would now rank in the bottom half of the NHL. 

It doesn’t matter at what point your franchise is. If you feel you’re a contender you go for it always. The purpose is to win championships.

Now, whether the moves they’ve made (adding Pacioretty and Stastny while moving on from Neal and Perron) get them over the top remains to be seen.

Also, can someone point me to evidence that the late birthday thing for your draft year means anything? I see it mentioned but have never seen anything to support that it means anything.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I would be worried about Karlsson scoring 20 less goals (9sh%) and Fleury giving up say 17 more goals(916sv%) this year, that could change a lot. Does Pacioretty make up for those 37 goals? Maybe but that assumes everyone else is good. I think they will be a playoff team. I don't think they will make the cup final again. 

I understand a spreadsheet could show a Karlsson decline by that much, but the dude's shot is utterly lethal, and he's going to continue to get first line wingers and first line power play time. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a consistent 30-35 goal player going forward. It would surprise me if he was a 40 goal guy, and if he was a low-20-goal guy. 

I'm in agreement of your overall assessment of Vegas as a solid team that won't be winning 3 playoff series again for a little while.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I understand a spreadsheet could show a Karlsson decline by that much, but the dude's shot is utterly lethal, and he's going to continue to get first line wingers and first line power play time. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a consistent 30-35 goal player going forward. It would surprise me if he was a 40 goal guy, and if he was a low-20-goal guy. 

I'm in agreement of your overall assessment of Vegas as a solid team that won't be winning 3 playoff series again for a little while.

He host at 23.4% last season. That is not sustainable. I don't know where he regresses too but time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It doesn’t matter at what point your franchise is. If you feel you’re a contender you go for it always. The purpose is to win championships.

Now, whether the moves they’ve made (adding Pacioretty and Stastny while moving on from Neal and Perron) get them over the top remains to be seen.

Also, can someone point me to evidence that the late birthday thing for your draft year means anything? I see it mentioned but have never seen anything to support that it means anything.

Nick Suzuki has a August bday. That means he is essentially the same age as players in October and November of the following draft year. It simply has to do with human growth. There is so much development, physically and mentally, between a 17 and an 18 year old. If you have 2 players, one was born in November of 98 and one was born in August of 99 and they are both producing at the same level, you should bet on the 99birthday because that 98 birthday has had a full extra year of development. It's about trying to see when a players actual 18yr old year is. For example Tkachuk v Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom's 17 year old USHL was this year but Takchuk's was last year. How do you value that. 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm aware. That changes nothing about what I said

Ik. I just think that he's probably going to lose about 15goals of production going forward. 

Edited by LGR4GM

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lending credibility that these aren't some mastermind geniuses that figured out the NHL. It was timing, luck and a unified team.