Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

I don't know how someone can so confidently stand by something with that foundation. 

And I know pi likes to mess around. But he's serious there, you can tell. 

What I'm 100% convinced of is that no matter what happens, there will be a lens through which he can see himself as having been completely correct.

Edited by Randall Flagg

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I forgot, did pi's take stem entirely from the decision to play his predraft year in Europe, or did he claim to have inside sources on AM's character?

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Doesn't everybody? If you had the power to negotiate a higher salary you would. So would I. So would anyone. It's human nature. 

Money drives him, it makes him tick.   Once has more money in his bank account than be ever dreamed of he'll lose his drive to play and train and stay in peak condition. 

He might not even notice the little things he'll stop doing, but it will show on the ice and on the scoresheet.   

It won't take much of a drop off before he gets crucified by the Toronto media.  

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Money drives him, it makes him tick.   Once has more money in his bank account than be ever dreamed of he'll lose his drive to play and train and stay in peak condition. 

He might not even notice the little things he'll stop doing, but it will show on the ice and on the scoresheet.   

It won't take much of a drop off before he gets crucified by the Toronto media.  

Why are you so sure of this. Have you talked with him?

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

1.) Matthews played his predraft season in europe

2.) pi played ncaa hockey 

what more evidence do you need?

yes, that is all he goes on.

...and just as I predicted he's not siging for anything less than McDavid money, which will hurt the team moving forward.   He's not a team first guy, he's a me first guy.    

Just now, pi2000 said:

...and just as I predicted he's not siging for anything less than McDavid money, which will hurt the team moving forward.   He's not a team first guy, he's a me first guy.    

So are McDavid, Crosby, Kane, and Toews me first guys too? All of those guys signed for, at the time, the biggest deals in league history

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

So are McDavid, Crosby, Kane, and Toews me first guys too? All of those guys signed for, at the time, the biggest deals in league history

I'm not going to dissect the nuances of each of this contracts.    The fact is that Matthews is not on McDavids level yet he feels entitled to be paid the same.   

Eichel took less money because he wants the team to have success.  

Just now, pi2000 said:

I'm not going to dissect the nuances of each of this contracts.    The fact is that Matthews is not on McDavids level yet he feels entitled to be paid the same.   

If Eichel could have gotten paid what McDavid did, he 1000% would have

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

If Eichel could have gotten paid what McDavid did, he 1000% would have

I believe he could've gotten more if he wanted.  Not McDavid money, but more than he agreed on... but he's a team first guy and he doesn't value money the same way AM does.

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I believe he could've gotten more if he wanted.  Not McDavid money, but more than he agreed on... but he's a team first guy and he doesn't value money the same way AM does.

I think if Eichel put up McDavid numbers there is no way he would have signed for less than McDavid dollars.  His contract is not the result of any team first mindset.  It’s the result of the numbers he put up. 

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

According to drunken Peter Chiarelli, sure. 

Or did I miss Matthews signing a contract?

19 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is nonsense. After a 56 and a 57 point season, Eichel being a team guy could have taken a 7.5 million dollar contract. 10 mil for that production at that time with an obvious projection is fine with me, but it is absolutely not taking one for the team.

• Like (+1) 1

If Eichel wanted more money he could've played out the year and gone from there. 

But he chose to sign and give the team some certainty.   

AM only cares about maxing out the dollars, which is why he hasn't signed yet and likely will drag on throughout the season.

21 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If Eichel wanted more money he could've played out the year and gone from there. 

But he chose to sign and give the team some certainty.   

AM only cares about maxing out the dollars, which is why he hasn't signed yet and likely will drag on throughout the season.

This will only be logically consistent 4 weeks from now, as Eichel didn't sign until early October. But your conclusion was made when Matthews didn't do what you did, even though his path had him prepared enough to finish 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring during his rookie season.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This will only be logically consistent 4 weeks from now, as Eichel didn't sign until early October. But your conclusion was made when Matthews didn't do what you did, even though his path had him prepared enough to finish 2nd in the NHL in goal scoring during his rookie season.

So, what project are you procrastinating that makes you think engaging with Pi on Matthews is a good idea? ?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've always believe AM would excel early in his career.  

We'll see when he signs.

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I can agree with you on this. And the fact that those in the hockey world want to pretend that he is for some reason, and pay him as such, is a pretty welcome development in my books.

But I don't see Matthews as more All About The Benjamins than everyone else. 99% of players are Jerry Maguire: "Show me the money!"