Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Read a tweet that apparently the GM of the Blues said "But in a perfect world, you get to Christmas and (Robert Thomas) can center a line that maybe has Tarasenko on the right and O'Reilly on the left" 

Ouch- not the large role ROR likes to have... this may make him feel even more useless...

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Read a tweet that apparently the GM of the Blues said "But in a perfect world, you get to Christmas and (Robert Thomas) can center a line that maybe has Tarasenko on the right and O'Reilly on the left" 

They do have like 19 centers, but still, I can't wait to see this.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Hmm, didn't feel like he was done for the NHL, he had a spot somewhere still I thought.

Certainly the Oilers should have been all over him.

His eye test is worse than his numbers. Saw him a lot in Winnipeg.

21 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

avalanche-063.thumb.jpg.9cc540c902faaefe63126a2caaa28ff3.jpgherron_1__09216.1415574664_1280_1280.thumb.JPG.288cd04b622977d4e4e331d6f6672c43.JPG

I was partial to these uniforms.  The scout looks like someone in a burka; that would be more a propos these days.

vintage-kansas-city-scouts-home-jersey-white-23.gif

I'm young enough not to remember the Scouts, but those Rockies uniforms were things of beauty.

The thought of a team wearing a jersey from a previous location always feels a bit odd to me.  It seems like a slap in the face to the fans from that previous city.  They've been talking around here a lot lately about using the Whaler jersey and even playing a preseason game in Hartford.  How could the people up there actually want any part of that?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The thought of a team wearing a jersey from a previous location always feels a bit odd to me.  It seems like a slap in the face to the fans from that previous city.  They've been talking around here a lot lately about using the Whaler jersey and even playing a preseason game in Hartford.  How could the people up there actually want any part of that?

Oh, I most definitely agree.  I just like the Colorado Rockies jerseys is all.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It's another thing I wish teams would stick to with their jerseys.  Along with the bright colors, they're fairly simple.

Unfortunately, w/ the whole knockoff jersey industry being a thing, we'll never see teams go back to truly simple elegant unis.  Because simple elegant unis can't be trademarked.  And if you can't trademark (or get a design patent for) your duds, you can't keep others from making & selling them.

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Unfortunately, w/ the whole knockoff jersey industry being a thing, we'll never see teams go back to truly simple elegant unis.  Because simple elegant unis can't be trademarked.  And if you can't trademark (or get a design patent for) your duds, you can't keep others from making & selling them.

Huh, what?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

The logo is still trademarked.  

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Huh, what?

If you notice, especially in the NFL but in the other major sports leagues as well, teams are often using unique number fonts & piping that they have trademarked to keep the uniforms very non-generic to keep the knock off shops from just copying their uniforms and selling them for a fraction of the real things.

If the uniformis too simple, the style will already essentially bein the public domain & the knockoff shops will just copy them.  (The commentis more directed to football unis, but Adidas certainlyisn't going to develop new unis that are "plain" unless they're throwbacks.)

The leagues also have unique referee uniforms to prevent their advertising partners from airing commercials that mock the refs.  The Bud Light beer stealing refs weren't NFL refs though it was implied.  Once the refs started wearing funky unis, the commercials went away.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The logo is still trademarked.  

You bet it is.  Even if it's as simple as a B with spokes or a C with an H in it or a hockey stick inside a rectangle.

Just now, Taro T said:

If you notice, especially in the NFL but in the other major sports leagues as well, teams are often using unique number fonts & piping that they have trademarked to keep the uniforms very non-generic to keep the knock off shops from just copying their uniforms and selling them for a fraction of the real things.

If the uniformis too simple, the style will already essentially bein the public domain & the knockoff shops will just copy them.  (The commentis more directed to football unis, but Adidas certainlyisn't going to develop new unis that are "plain" unless they're throwbacks.)

The leagues also have unique referee uniforms to prevent their advertising partners from airing commercials that mock the refs.  The Bud Light beer stealing refs weren't NFL refs though it was implied.  Once the refs started wearing funky unis, the commercials went away.

No, just trust me on this, no.  

The unique fonts make it more difficult to counterfeit, and sure, they might be trademarked as well, but it's the logo that is central to the sweater.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.  But if the numbers aren't trademarked it is really easy to make a knockoff or lower quality generic sweater get customized to look pro weight.

It doesn't become more difficult to counterfeit a sweater because the numbers are trademarked.  It becomes more difficult because the numbers are unique, meaning the counterfeiter needs more and more templates to work from.