O’Reilly, Smith and Lehner - Sabres Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Next Poll Group  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Ryan O’Reilly

• Long Term deal and solid performance make him a keeper
    • Bad Attitude gets him traded in an off-season blockbuster
  2. 2. CJ Smith (RFA)

• Signs a new deal and makes the Sabres in camp
    • Signs a new deal, but gets demoted to Rochester.
    • Rights traded in the off-season
    • Not tendered a qualifying offer
  3. 3. Robyn Lehner (RFA)

• Gets a qualifying offer, takes the Sabres to arbitration and returns for one more year
    • Gets a qualifying offer, takes the Sabres to arbitration and then gets traded
    • Accepts qualifying offer and returns for one more year
    • Accepts qualifying offer but is then traded
    • Not tendered a qualifying offer and becomes a UFA
    • Gets a qualifying offer, but Rights get traded in the off-season
    • Takes Sabres to arbitration and then gets bought out - becoming an UFA
    • Signs a 1 yr extension instead of a qualifying offer.

IN: Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ullmark
In by poll: Bogo, Wilson, Guhle, Ristolainen and Baptiste

Out: Josefson, Pouliot, Nolan, Moulson and Gorges
Out by Poll: O’Regan (minors), Larsson, Baloo and Girgensons (trades)

New Poll:
1) The out spoken Ryan O’Reilly
2) Amerks top rookie CJ Smith
3) TM favorite and RFA Lehner (who also has arbitration rights).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I am horrified by people trying to talk themselves back into Lehner.  We don't need to put our hand on that hot stove again... 

Garbage.  He has the tools to be good, but either can't or won't.  What's the line from Bull Durham?  Million-dollar arm and five-cent head?  Apt in this case. 

I think it’s safe to assume there will be at least one or two guys moved out due to the perceived locker room issues, or just to shake up the room of the 31st place team. My guess is still that Lehner is near the top of that list.

I’m horrified by people thinking that adding the likes of Hutton, or Mrazek, or Halak or Ward, or anyone on the free agent market is going to upgrade our goaltending.

I do agree that Lehner is likely gone and that is a good move.

I’m horrified by people thinking that adding the likes of Hutton, or Mrazek, or Halak or Ward, or anyone on the free agent market is going to upgrade our goaltending.

I do agree that Lehner is likely gone and that is a good move.

The upgrade is likely in terms of value, not outright performance. Lehner played like a $1 million dollar goaltender last year while being paid 4x that.

Lehner was (IMHO) the biggest problem on a team with just about nothing but other problems this past season.  Just having the goals he chucked in his own net back makes the team less terrible instantly.  

While I agree that the free agent class in uninspiring, something absolutely needs to be done if the goal is to win hockey games this coming year.  

I'm horrified we don't have more goaltenders in the system trying to move up and take the obvious opening we have at that position. I'm guessing that someone comes in from outside the organization and competes for top spot. Goaltenders are funny, one teams trash turns into another teams treasure.

I’m starting to think we qualify Lehner on a one-year deal as our Ullmark safety net.

The other options are all either bad or expensive.

I honestly don't see the value in seeing him for another year.  I think at this point it could become toxic if he's back and is demoted below Ullmark (who would have to win the job outright of course). However, I think at this point, cutting bait is almost the preferred component.  It allows you to bring in someone who can compete and give a new voice in the room and on the ice. I would almost rather have one year of Nilsson than Lehner back next year. 

I'm split on O'Reilly.  I don't know if it's better for the team long term if he stays or goes for speed, youth and flexibility.  It will be dictated by the offers out of the gate of course.  If someone over extends themselves then I assume he'll be dealt.  Likely, he's here for the long haul.  

I think Lehner’s back but not in the QO, he signs a 1 yr extension for less than he made last year but more than he’ll garner on the open market. Like $3M.

Very interesting idea. I'll add that to his poll.

However there is almost no chance he returns.  Jbot is trying to change up the locker room.  It was clear to me that the guys didn't really play that hard for Robyn.  Easier to change the goalie then all the D.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I would rather just do something like try to pry Gudlevskis away from the Islanders. Or sign Enroth.

I think if you were to pry a goalie from the isles at this point in time, it would be from their cold dead hands.

Besides Gudlevskis is a UFA... Don't think 2 unproven goalies is the way to go

Edit... Also didn't Enroth bash us pretty bad after last time?

Edited by LikeEich

Who the hell is CJ Smith?

Yup

Really?  Do you guys follow our prospects?  Or was this a poor attempt at humor?

Smith is a 5'11 185 lbs LW with top notch speed a excellent shot and who is responsible defensively.  He was a rookie for the Amerks last season after playing 3 years at U Mass Lowell where he scored 56g and 125 points in 120 games.  He scored 17g and totaled 44 pts in 57g w the Amerks last season.  He made a brief appearance with the Sabres in 2016-17 tallying an assist in 2 games.  Smith was basically the Amerks best forward for most of last season and played in the AHL All-star game.  Jbot said he had earned a callup before an injury kept him out of the lineup.

Does this help?  You should probably learn who he is considering he has an excellent chance of making the Sabres next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Really?  Do you guys follow our prospects?  Or was this a poor attempt at humor?

Smith is a 5'11 185 lbs LW with top notch speed a excellent shot and who is responsible defensively.  He was a rookie for the Amerks last season after playing 3 years at U Mass Lowell where he scored 56g and 125 points in 120 games.  He scored 17g and totaled 44 pts in 57g w the Amerks last season.  He made a brief appearance with the Sabres in 2016-17 tallying an assist in 2 games.  Smith was basically the Amerks best forward for most of last season and played in the AHL All-star game.  Jbot said he had earned a callup before an injury kept him out of the lineup.

Does this help?  You should probably learn who is considering he has an excellent chance of making the Sabres next season.

Followed his progress with the amerks and hope he makes the Sabres out of camp. Hope oloffson makes an impact too but possbily not straight away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.