Evander Kane, re-signs with SJ 7x7yrs

LGR4GM

So we can wait for a player who is ready in what, 2023?  

I still don't like the deal.

If the Snarks miss the playoffs this year and then win the lottery the next, you're about 2-3 years off. If they make the conference finals next year, you're close.

Yeah, the deal w/ the Snarks still isn't great, but if it works out as best into the Sabres favor as is possible at present, it will have been Nieuwendyk for Iginla. (Still need a lot of moving parts to fall into place for that to happen, and it isn't very likely, but at least it isn't LaFontaine for a puck bag.)

I think one other aspect is this increases the value towards a trade. I'm not going XGMTM here but if Botts is looking to shake up and improve the quality of the core quicker this could be a nice asset in any deal.

However, the way San Jose seems to be trending with ageing players I hope we keep that pick.

Kane has never had a season worth $7M in his career. And based on his playing style and injury history, I'm not comfortable assuming he'll become that player and betting 7 years on it.

In the 3 years prior to signing his deal, Okposo played 210 games and posted 67 - 117 - 184. He was coming off his age-27 season.

In Kane's last 3 years with us and SJ, he has played 213 games and posted 77 - 55 - 132. He is coming off his age-26 season.

We know how the Okposo deal is working out... I'm pumped SJ gave him this contract. Hopefully it contributes to their demise and we land a solid pick. And I really liked Kane and enjoyed his time here. I just think it's ludicrous to give him that contract.

It's pretty spot on for market value. These UFA deals are always a risk.

Just checked out San Jose message board to read through their thoughts.  Not many happy.  Most seemed ok with 6 x 6 but feel that 7th year is a huge risk and extra million will impact any chance of landing Tavares.

Other thing I noticed is many believe Tavares is very real possibility out there.  Not saying they don't have a shot but a couple posters going nuts because it could take them out of Tavares sweepstakes.

It's pretty spot on for market value. These UFA deals are always a risk.

Man, I just don't know.. He's only hit 50 points twice in his career. Yeah, he's been injured... But if you project his PPG over an 82 game season, he's still just a 50 point player. 7x7 seems like a lot. Marchand just signed a 8x6.125 deal last offseason. 

I guess Washington overpaying Oshie upped the market for wingers. 

Wawrow just told me that Botterill told him that if the Sharks miss the playoffs next year, the Sabres get the 2020 first rounder. That sounds definitive.

So what we hope is SJ makes the playoffs, Buffalo gets the 1st round pick in 2020: San Jose tanks and we get a high 1st

So what we hope is SJ makes the playoffs, Buffalo gets the 1st round pick in 2020: San Jose tanks and we get a high 1st

That's what I'm assuming the best scenario is also.

A slim chance they fall real hard in 2020, but they are aging and a few injuries and they could get us a nice top ten pick.

If San Jose makes the playoffs I think we would get the 1st in 2019. 

I think best case is they miss the playoffs the next two straight years.

My understanding is the pick becomes a 1st in 2019 when he signs with San Jose. That 1st is lottery protected so I assume it slides to 2020 if they finish outside the playoffs. I would guess that san Jose can give us the pick if they don't win the lottery but finish in the lottery drawing. I am not sure if that's true.

lets hope SJ gets old really fast. Just miss the playoffs in 2019 and then become one of the leagues worst in 2020.

Congrats to Evander for getting the money he was looking for.  San Jose really was the perfect situation for him to be insulated by a roster with the veterans that can just allow him to be "Evander".  So congrats!  This also gives us extra ammunition for moving up, and adding more to our barren wasteland. 

Even though the difference between a 2nd round pick and a mid to late 1st rounder isn't a lot...this makes me feel better about the Sabres going forward.

Getting that extra first round pick from SJ, and winning the lottery, it kinda allows the Sabres a legit 'do-over' of the so-far failed rebuild...without taking another 4-5 years to get it done.

Dahlin (who may not be a star yet next year but hopefully will be a top-10 NHL player in a few years)....2 first rounder next year (with one of them possibly being a top-10 pick) and what you have here so far....things not looking too bad going forward now.

Sharks make it officially official

Out of curiosity would anyone be interested in making a deal with SJ to get 25th Overall this year instead?

No. Odds are whatever pick we do get from them will be better than that, and we won't have to give anything up for it. Keep the pick, or trade it elsewhere

No. Odds are whatever pick we do get from them will be better than that, and we won't have to give anything up for it. Keep the pick, or trade it elsewhere

Trading it elsewhere includes trading it to SJ for this year's 25th though.  I want players now.  Not when I'm 70.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.