Evander Kane, re-signs with SJ 7x7yrs

LGR4GM

Not official yet but deal is being finalized. Props to Kelly the Dog for breaking the news on Sabrespace.

Would you have been happy if Buffalo paid him this?

This place would have melted down if we signed him to that deal. Posters were tabling deals in the $5 to $6 mill range.

I keep seeing conflicting reports. Is the first rounder in 2019 lottery protected at all if he does indeed sign with Sharks, or no? And if it is, is it top three only protected?

The way it was originally reported was that if the conditions to make the '19 pick going to the Sabres to be a 1st were met (either way) that pick would be lottery protected. Still not clear (to this kid at least) whether the protection is automatic on the Snarks missing the playoffs or if it only kicks in with a teal card being drawn at next year's lottery.

Either way, it is in the Sabres interest for the Snarks to be bad and relatively lucky next season & bad & VERY lucky (or unlucky depending on perspective ;)) the following year.

I keep seeing conflicting reports. Is the first rounder in 2019 lottery protected at all if he does indeed sign with Sharks, or no? And if it is, is it top three only protected?

My understanding is the pick becomes a 1st in 2019 when he signs with San Jose. That 1st is lottery protected so I assume it slides to 2020 if they finish outside the playoffs. I would guess that san Jose can give us the pick if they don't win the lottery but finish in the lottery drawing. I am not sure if that's true.

Wawrow just told me that Botterill told him that if the Sharks miss the playoffs next year, the Sabres get the 2020 first rounder. That sounds definitive.

Good info.

This is the time for wawrow to come around and chime in.

Wawrow just told me that Botterill told him that if the Sharks miss the playoffs next year, the Sabres get the 2020 first rounder. That sounds definitive.

Awesome.

So hope the Snarks barely miss the playoffs next year, don't find a golden ticket, & then fall off the map in '19-'20. :thumbsup:

A good deal for him and for us. A deal that San Jose may regret in a few years when his body starts breaking down.

this is the same team that kept Marleau and Thorton year after year as their top players. Kane is an infant compared to them....

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

theres your problem, they haven't been able to get ahold of him cause Kane keeps picking up the wrong phone

Definitely makes the deal more palatable. Still, O'Reagan is a bum

This was the only offer that Botterill got that had the possibility of the Sabres getting a First Round Pick.

Per David Pagnotta

The deal is expected to be finalized tomorrow.

Kane has never had a season worth $7M in his career. And based on his playing style and injury history, I'm not comfortable assuming he'll become that player and betting 7 years on it.

In the 3 years prior to signing his deal, Okposo played 210 games and posted 67 - 117 - 184. He was coming off his age-27 season.

In Kane's last 3 years with us and SJ, he has played 213 games and posted 77 - 55 - 132. He is coming off his age-26 season.

We know how the Okposo deal is working out... I'm pumped SJ gave him this contract. Hopefully it contributes to their demise and we land a solid pick. And I really liked Kane and enjoyed his time here. I just think it's ludicrous to give him that contract. 

Awesome.

So hope the Snarks barely miss the playoffs next year, don't find a golden ticket, & then fall off the map in '19-'20. :thumbsup:

So we can wait for a player who is ready in what, 2023?  

I still don't like the deal.

Even setting aside the issues I have with his game and his reported approach to off-ice preparation, the deal is a real risk. The guy plays so recklessly, or at least needs to do so in order to be effective, that you wonder whether his body will hold up.

OTOH, he had no major injury issues last season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.