The Athletic Buffalo

Brawndo

Sidney Pegula Retweeted John Vogl

Dear Lord, I promise not to chew any more of Kim's shoes if you agree to take Harrington and not Vogl.

lol this is great. Its one of the daughters running that thing, right?

Vogl is okay, but I'm hoping for better from The Athletic. 

I love Vogl, as a straight forward reporter he's the best the news has had in years.

I love Vogl, as a straight forward reporter he's the best the news has had in years.

Of course you love him, you're comparing him to the likes of Harrington and Bucky :p

Other Athletic markets have gotten considerably better writers than Vogl, in my opinion. 

Running? Okay. I'm embarrassed for a hockey family that is this thin-skinned about a relatively mild sports writer. Good thing they didn't buy the Flyers or Rangers. Then again, dad thought the News was part of the problem with the team he bought in 2011, so the apples aren't falling far from the tree. Also, what am I missing? In that scenario, Mike would still be writing about the Sabres.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that Tweet, on at least two levels, will send Judge Smell into delirium.

Running? Okay. I'm embarrassed for a hockey family that is this thin-skinned about a relatively mild sports writer. Good thing they didn't buy the Flyers or Rangers. Then again, dad thought the News was part of the problem with the team he bought in 2011, so the apples aren't falling far from the tree. Also, what am I missing? In that scenario, Mike would still be writing about the Sabres.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that Tweet, on at least two levels, will send Judge Smell into delirium.

Harrington is "relatively mild" enough that Elliotte Friedman, a real hockey writer, unfollowed him on twitter AND publicly rebuked him for being the opposite of "relatively mild."

Bucky Gleason just announced he is taking a buyout for the News as well. I really hope he is not hired by The Athletic.

I wonder if he'll be replaced or the position eliminated.  The woman whom TBN hired as a columnist last summer didn't last long, but I liked her stuff.

I wonder if he'll be replaced or the position eliminated. The woman whom TBN hired as a columnist last summer didn't last long, but I liked her stuff.

Kimberley Martin is fantastic. So is Tyler Dunne. I thought Kimberley was on a fast track to the big leagues from the very beginning, but it is telling that they couldn't manage to keep either one of them while more senior writers seem to have tenure.

Kimberley Martin is fantastic. So is Tyler Dunne. I thought Kimberley was on a fast track to the big leagues from the very beginning, but it is telling that they couldn't manage to keep either one of them while more senior writers seem to have tenure.

Well, Martin got an offer from WaPo about three minutes after she started here, so no way were they going to be able to keep her.

Fascinating stuff in the industry. I’d love to see a thread frequented or moderated by J Wawrow talking about what’s going on and how the talent is adapting. I grew up with by-lines and deadlines. I read, now, about clicks, followers and paywalls. My interest is the human aspect. My industry is changing so fast. The number one skill I tell young people to hone is adaptability. Being good at something today may be considerably less valuable tomorrow. I wish them well. I feel their pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the launch is coming soon. An official Twitter Page has been created @TheAthleticBuf. The picture has the Bills and Sabres. And James Mirtle the executive editor said there is big news coming from The Athletic NHL.

My bet is Vogl for the Sabres, Matt Fairburn for the Bills Tim Graham as managing editor.

Edited by Brawndo

Well, whenever it is, let's get it going.  That other alternative sports publication--was it called the Buffalo Star?--has proven to be a complete waste of my money.  I didn't get whatever the gift was supposed to be for subscribing for a full year, and they rarely publish. 

Well, whenever it is, let's get it going.  That other alternative sports publication--was it called the Buffalo Star?--has proven to be a complete waste of my money.  I didn't get whatever the gift was supposed to be for subscribing for a full year, and they rarely publish. 

Yes it was a total waste of my money as well. I joined sometime in September so I'm waiting until sometime in August to quit so I don't get hit with an automatic renewal. There just isn't enough content coming through there to make it worth it. When I signed on, it appeared to be a good deal. I'm hoping the Athletic turns out better if they do come in. Does anyone know if you'll also get the other teams content by signing up for the Buffalo one??

I think you had to go pick it up. I never did either.

I did my damnedest to ignore the Sabres this year, so I don't even know if I would have got my money out of them.

It depends on who they get for Buffalo, but this will likely tip the scales for me and get me to subscribe. Generally their writers are quite strong.

Per James Fink of the Buffalo Business Report

Sabres Writers are John Vogl, Kris Baker and Ryan Stimson (analytics from RIT)

Bills Tim Graham, Matt Fairburn and Erik Turner who runs the Cover One Website.

They didn’t hire Joe Yerdon and Graham’s Writing is excellent but there are instances when he has been a DB.

All and all an excellent lineup!

Edited by Brawndo

Per James Fink of the Buffalo Business Report

Sabres Writers are John Vogl, Kris Baker and Ryan Stimson (analytics from RIT)

Bills Tim Graham, Matt Fairburn and Erik Turner who runs the Cover One Website.

They didn’t hire Joe Yerdon and Graham’s Writing is excellent but there are instances when he has been a DB.

All and all an excellent lineup!

I don't think Yerdon would have taken the job.

Vogl and Graham are excellent writers, and I agree that Graham can be a DB sometimes, but not as bad as some others.

(Speaking of which, Harrington has toned down his tweets considerably.  Someone at TBN must have gotten to him.)

Edited by Eleven

You were supposed to go to Amherst Pizza and Ale house to pick it up. I got mine. 

I haven't read the Star since midway through the Sabres season. The Sabres being bad really limited my desire to consume media. 

I also wish they would publish more. The work was good, but too infrequent. 

Subscribe now with this link to get 30% off the annual plan and a FREE T-shirt >> http://theathletic.com/buffalolaunch  Just $3.49/mo for access to ALL the quality, ad-free local + national coverage on The Athletic.

John Vogl @BuffaloVogl
FollowingFollowing @BuffaloVogl
More

The plan truly was to spend the summer relaxing on the water. Then I talked with @TheAthleticBUF. Here's why I returned the paddleboard, bought a new laptop and started smiling.

"I’m not alone. Kris Baker, who knows the Sabres’ prospects better than anyone, is onboard to keep you informed about the future players. Analytics are a huge part of hockey, and Ryan Stimson, who co-hosts and speaks at analytic conferences, will give context to the Sabres’ numbers."

Edited by Skurk Liger

I don't think Yerdon would have taken the job.

Vogl and Graham are excellent writers, and I agree that Graham can be a DB sometimes, but not as bad as some others.

(Speaking of which, Harrington has toned down his tweets considerably. Someone at TBN must have gotten to him.)

Through a friend of Yerdon’s I know he really interested in the job The Buffalo News is hiring for their Sports Department so hopefully something happens there for him.

Interesting thought exercise...

In the posts above, Tim Graham was listed as writing for the Bills.  He was referred to having the potential to be a DB at times...

I kept wondering what kind of strained reference it was to his writing to call him a defensive back.  That he missed coverage at times?  I couldn't figure it out.

I finally figured it out... it's not defensive back.  Yeah.. I mean... I guess that's how I think.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.