Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW

Coyle interests me, but not for 2nd line center duties. More of a 3rd line center and I've watched a couple of Wild games this season, He's a bigger guy with average speed. It's his net front presence that appeals to me, he's hard to move in that area, at least in the games I watched.

13 hours ago, Weave said:

He's reading Sabrespace.

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Myself excluded of course, there are some pretty smart posters on the board 

I believe all the Buffalo media covering the Sabres read this board from time to time. And yes, there is some really good input on the team from fans on this forum.

On a side note, in so far as Botterill's interest, I would hope he's paid attention to the Dallas Stars CEO comments. Tyler Seguin is of definite interest to me in any event, if the situation their continues.

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Coyle interests me, but not for 2nd line center duties. More of a 3rd line center and I've watched a couple of Wild games this season, He's a bigger guy with average speed. It's his net front presence that appeals to me, he's hard to move in that area, at least in the games I watched.

I believe all the Buffalo media covering the Sabres read this board from time to time. And yes, there is some really good input on the team from fans on this forum.

On a side note, in so far as Botterill's interest, I would hope he's paid attention to the Dallas Stars CEO comments. Tyler Seguin is of definite interest to me in any event, if the situation their continues.

Seguin and Been aren't getting traded. That CEO is pretty freaking clueless.

• Like (+1) 2

Coyle and Niederreiter still interest me from Minnesota.  Could we entice them to take on Okposo contract if we give them Guhle and CJ Smith?

Also as far as off season I am still trying to get either Johnson or JT Miller from Tampa.  Give them Scandella and San Jose first for JT Miller.  Would be perfect second line center for a year until Mitts proves he is able to take on second line duties.

19-20 line up

Skinner- Eichel- Reinhart

Nylander- JT Miller- Niederreiter

Olofson- Mitts- Coyle

Wilson- Asplund- Thompson

Dahlin- Bogo

McCabe- Risto

Beaulieu/Pilut/Nelson/Borgen/UFA's

Edited by sweetlou

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Seguin and Been aren't getting traded. That CEO is pretty freaking clueless.

It seems to be the general conesus amongst The Dallas Leadership though.

(Not saying either is being moved of course) 

From the Athletic 

Any question about the Dallas Stars front office presenting a united front in its stance on the performance of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin was answered Sunday.

Two days after Jim Lites went on an expletive-filled rant lambasting Benn and Seguin, Stars general manager Jim Nill made his first public comments in a meeting with media members during the Stars’ practice following a 5-1 home win against the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday night.

Nill, and by extension the rest of the front office, knew that Lites was going to be meeting with media members. They had planned to issue a calculated message about where Benn and Seguin ranked in league scoring, but Lites’ tone and language turned it into a story that became a sensation across the hockey world.

“First of all, the hockey message that Jim (gave) was dead-on,” Nill said. “I think that message had to get out there. We’ve all got to be better, from the top, from management to coaches to players, all the way down, we’ve got to be better. So, the message is right. I’ve talked to Jim, I don’t condone the language or the tone. Jim and I have talked. He’s emotional, he wears the star in his heart, and he got emotional and understandably. So I don’t condone that, but the message that was sent from him and management I think was dead-on correct, and I agree with all of that.”

28 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

This team is not making playoffs this year. They need to wait and bring up kids next year. Trade for a #2 center in the Summer or wait for FA

It is interesting three of the players mentioned are pending UFAs, the type of player Botterill has publicly stated he would not trade for. During the UFA Period, go for it. 

16 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Coyle and Niederreiter still interest me from Minnesota.  Could we entice them to take on Okposo contract if we give them Guhle and CJ Smith?

Also as far as off season I am still trying to get either Johnson or JT Miller from Tampa.  Give them Scandella and San Jose first for JT Miller.  Would be perfect second line center for a year until Mitts proves he is able to take on second line duties.

19-20 line up

Olofson- Mitts- Coyle

Wilson- Asplund- ERod/UFA/prospect

Dahlin- Bogo

McCabe- Risto

I doubt Tampa makes any deals where they take on money, they close to the cap with Point needing to an extension 

26 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

19-20 line up

Olofson- Mitts- Coyle

Wilson- Asplund- Thompson

Dahlin- Bogo

McCabe- Risto

What if this doesn’t happen?

I’m no NHL trade guru. In fact I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I see a lot of trade ideas that basically gut the remaining depth in the A and wonder what everyone’s opinion on what the rosters of our developmental leagues will look like in these scenarios?

Do we hope the Cyclones can fill the holes we create in the Amerks roster and still get a deep run in the playoffs? Does it even matter if the Amerks are successful? What role does organizational depth play in long term overall success of an NHL club? 

I don’t know the answers but I suspect it’s better to be patient. Establish success in the other leagues first. Have a deep pool of depth players that can be called up and produce without disrupting the development of other players that maybe have a higher ceiling. It’s liking baking a killer cake and taking it out of the oven before it’s done because you really want to taste it. Doesn’t make sense to me.

This makes me question what happens with everyone else that’s currently playing who don’t appear on your 19/20 roster? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

What if this doesn’t happen?

I’m no NHL trade guru. In fact I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I see a lot of trade ideas that basically gut the remaining depth in the A and wonder what everyone’s opinion on what the rosters of our developmental leagues will look like in these scenarios?

Do we hope the Cyclones can fill the holes we create in the Amerks roster and still get a deep run in the playoffs? Does it even matter if the Amerks are successful? What role does organizational depth play in long term overall success of an NHL club? 

I don’t know the answers but I suspect it’s better to be patient. Establish success in the other leagues first. Have a deep pool of depth players that can be called up and produce without disrupting the development of other players that maybe have a higher ceiling. It’s liking baking a killer cake and taking it out of the oven before it’s done because you really want to taste it. Doesn’t make sense to me.

This makes me question what happens with everyone else that’s currently playing who don’t appear on your 19/20 roster? 

It also makes me wonder ....who would be the call-ups next year?? Nothing left in the lower levels.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It seems to be the general conesus amongst The Dallas Leadership though.

(Not saying either is being moved of course) 

From the Athletic 

Any question about the Dallas Stars front office presenting a united front in its stance on the performance of Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin was answered Sunday.

Two days after Jim Lites went on an expletive-filled rant lambasting Benn and Seguin, Stars general manager Jim Nill made his first public comments in a meeting with media members during the Stars’ practice following a 5-1 home win against the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday night.

Nill, and by extension the rest of the front office, knew that Lites was going to be meeting with media members. They had planned to issue a calculated message about where Benn and Seguin ranked in league scoring, but Lites’ tone and language turned it into a story that became a sensation across the hockey world.

“First of all, the hockey message that Jim (gave) was dead-on,” Nill said. “I think that message had to get out there. We’ve all got to be better, from the top, from management to coaches to players, all the way down, we’ve got to be better. So, the message is right. I’ve talked to Jim, I don’t condone the language or the tone. Jim and I have talked. He’s emotional, he wears the star in his heart, and he got emotional and understandably. So I don’t condone that, but the message that was sent from him and management I think was dead-on correct, and I agree with all of that.”

Sounds like spin control for a loose lipped CEO that might have had a couple nips before talking to the media.  

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Asplund likely won’t make next years team. He isn’t a 4th line center and needs another year in the A.  Also Davidsson will be coming to the Amerks next season along with others, such as Bryson, Pekar, and Fitzgerald.  

Exactly my point, none will be ready for call-ups (maybe Asplund). 

The poster had traded Guhle and CJ. Also has Nylander, Olafsson, and Asplund in the Sabres line-up. Pilut up here (likely).

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

A lottery pick?

ZING!!

I assume you mean not in direct exchange, but the end result of such trade.  I hate to assume, but I think I know you well enough to see what you did there.

If not, well, it just shows to go ya that I am wittier than you.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

ZING!!

I assume you mean not in direct exchange, but the end result of such trade.  I hate to assume, but I think I know you well enough to see what you did there.

If not, well, it just shows to go ya that I am wittier than you.

Yep.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

A fan mutiny.

I understand that. I would anticipate that.

But the implications of that outcome would be to the detriment of the team. Because if that's truly the case.... then Skinner has ALL the leverage in contract negotiations. It handcuffs the team.... and that contract will inevitably be an albatross that we ALL resent in a few years, at our own doing. I remember hearing on WGR that a source said that Skinner wanted $9.5M/year to skip FA. If that's true... I don't recall any numbers I've read on this board higher than $8. Maybe $8.5.

But if Skinner is hardlining... and it's $9.5 or nothing.... is that a firm no?!

Edited by Die Hard

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I understand that. I would anticipate that.

But the implications of that outcome would be to the detriment of the team. Because if that's truly the case.... then Skinner has ALL the leverage in contract negotiations. It handcuffs the team.... and that contract will inevitably be an albatross that we ALL resent in a few years.

The only way Skinner isn't signed by the trade deadline is if the talking heads are wrong & he has to wait until after this trade deadline to get the 8th year.  (The CBA is quite specific that he can't get it until after the deadline but ALL the talking heads have said he's eligible for it now that we're in January.)

And Skinner doesn't have all the leverage, even though the team would be alienating the fans should he leave.  Buffalo is NOT trading him prior to the trade deadline, so they are the ONLY team that can give him an 8th year on his next deal.

Also, there are only a small handful of teams that can afford what he wants, have a need for a 1L, and have a 1C of Eichel's quality to boost him from being viewed as a 30 GS to a 40 GS (& dare we hope to say a 50 GS?), AND is one of the handful of teams he actually WANTS to play for.

He's asked for $9-9.5MM/ yr for 8 years.  He's not getting that IMHO.  That's just the opening ask from his side.  He'll come in (hopefully) a smidge under $8MM/yr for 8 or up to $8.5MM/ yr for 8 years.  They can afford to keep the rest of the core when they're due with him coming in at that price.  And that contract can be structured to be unloadable to a 3rd party (should the next CBA function comparably to the current one) should they want / need to get rid of him on the backside of it.  (It's good to have Daddy Warbucks for an owner.)

• Like (+1) 2

But to the original question, take a look at what the Sabres gave up for 1 season of Skinner.  That's the ceiling of what would come back in a trade.  Not exactly worth blowing up the top line for it.  Especially when all the other negative externalities of trading him are factored in.  When all that's been factored in, the net of trading him is a fan mutiny.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The only way Skinner isn't signed by the trade deadline is if the talking heads are wrong & he has to wait until after this trade deadline to get the 8th year.  (The CBA is quite specific that he can't get it until after the deadline but ALL the talking heads have said he's eligible for it now that we're in January.)

And Skinner doesn't have all the leverage, even though the team would be alienating the fans should he leave.  Buffalo is NOT trading him prior to the trade deadline, so they are the ONLY team that can give him an 8th year on his next deal.

Also, there are only a small handful of teams that can afford what he wants, have a need for a 1L, and have a 1C of Eichel's quality to boost him from being viewed as a 30 GS to a 40 GS (& dare we hope to say a 50 GS?), AND is one of the handful of teams he actually WANTS to play for.

He's asked for $9-9.5MM/ yr for 8 years.  He's not getting that IMHO.  That's just the opening ask from his side.  He'll come in (hopefully) a smidge under $8MM/yr for 8 or up to $8.5MM/ yr for 8 years.  They can afford to keep the rest of the core when they're due with him coming in at that price.  And that contract can be structured to be unloadable to a 3rd party (should the next CBA function comparably to the current one) should they want / need to get rid of him on the backside of it.  (It's good to have Daddy Warbucks for an owner.)

If you forego the extra year... and pick up the extra $1M/year in the contract (which is the difference between $8M and $9M)... then the total overall contract could be the same amount (minus a year). Would Skinner care?

He played himself into this contract. He wanted to the audition going into this contract year... and his best bet was to go to a Buffalo team that was a cellar dweller and get guaranteed first-line play with a bonafide center. I think that was his motivation.... than caring for the actual franchise ?

And I think at this point in his career.... once he gets the contract he wants (maxes out), I don't think he cares who's paying it - regardless of what team he wants to play for, who he'll be playing with. And I think as a 45-goal scorer.... teams would make room if they had to. Seems like we're the only team that can't seem to unload any contracts.

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But to the original question, take a look at what the Sabres gave up for 1 season of Skinner.  That's the ceiling of what would come back in a trade.  Not exactly worth blowing up the top line for it.  Especially when all the other negative externalities of trading him are factored in.  When all that's been factored in, the net of trading him is a fan mutiny.

Actually I think he could in theory acquire more. The deadline sees prices raise some, his NMC no longer works I think, and if he has 35 goals or more there will certainly be a team willing to pay a late 1st at minimum for him. But I'd rather sign him at 7x8 or 8x8 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.