Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not anymore

I've seen his contract and found out a bit more about his time in Columbus to know I want him as far away from our team as possible.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've raised the prospect of Carter previously.  I would do it in a heartbeat, but only if they take KO, which I don't think they would agree to.

So then you wouldn't do it in a heartbeat, there is a very specific condition attached to it. 

57 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm fairness, it's sort of like saying you want to re-sign Skinner but only at $5Mx5. It really means you don't want to sign him. Saying you want Carter but only if the take Okposo really means you don't want Carter. 

Pretty different scenarios IMHO.  There is zero possibility that Skinner would take that contract.  There is a real possibility that LA would take KO as part of a package deal for Carter that included other sweeteners.  

Now, I don’t think it will happen, because I think Carter will make it clear that he doesn’t want to be traded here, and because JB won’t want someone who doesn’t want to be here, and JB also won’t want to part with the amount of sweeteners it would take to get LA to agree.  But the concept is not as far-fetched as Skinner taking a 60% discount.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Pretty different scenarios IMHO.  There is zero possibility that Skinner would take that contract.  There is a real possibility that LA would take KO as part of a package deal for Carter that included other sweeteners.  

Now, I don’t think it will happen, because I think Carter will make it clear that he doesn’t want to be traded here, and because JB won’t want someone who doesn’t want to be here, and JB also won’t want to part with the amount of sweeteners it would take to get LA to agree.  But the concept is not as far-fetched as Skinner taking a 60% discount.  

I think you're in the realm of delusional on this point. 

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yea, I bet if we add Guhle and a 1st they would take Okposo for Carter. 

Outside of that you want us to believe that an old slow team with bad contracts that wants to clear those contracts and get younger and faster is going to trade an older guy with a bad contract for another old guy with a worse contract who is a also slower? If the LA Kings trade Carter for Okposo then Jeff Skinner will sign 5x5. 

It's probably more far fetched because it doesn't make sense unless we pay them to take Okposo which Jbott is literally not going to do. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@LGR4GM -- while LA of course wouldn't take KO for Carter straight up, I would seriously consider giving them KO, Guhle and one of the lower #1s for Carter.

Well I sure as hell wouldn't. Giving up assets like that for a player about to turn 34 with another 3 years on his deal... barf. You are making a bad situation worse. At least with Okposo all I have to worry about is the lost cap but you know what I could replace that with? The player I have on an ELC that I got with that late round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

...unless of course the guy you get at #22 overall in 2020, once he finally makes it to the NHL in 2023, doesn’t give you any more than Zemgus or Grigorenko or a million other low-1st-rounders who never did anything significant in the NHL — while you could’ve had, for 2019-2021, the skilled, experienced #2 center (who happens to have 2 rings) that the team is dying for right now.  

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...unless of course the guy you get at #22 overall in 2020, once he finally makes it to the NHL in 2023, doesn’t give you any more than Zemgus or Grigorenko or a million other low-1st-rounders who never did anything significant in the NHL — while you could’ve had, for 2019-2021, the skilled, experienced #2 center (who happens to have 2 rings) that the team is dying for right now.  

Oh yea because Mittelstadt is just going to stop developing so we def need Carter for 3 more years. I don't care if he has 2 rings or 10. He's outside of this teams window and he's barely outproducing a 20 yr old rookie. 

This argument is just, it's bad. You would rather trade multiple pieces for an aging center then actually use those pieces to draft. You cited 1, 1 singular draft in which we didn't hit on mid round 1sts. This isn't the 2012 draft. This isn't the 2012 draft team. If Tampa and Boston and Pittsburgh can find players in the back half of the first there is no reason we can't. Hell of a lot better than wasting assets. The window isn't this year, sorry to tell people that but this year is not it. Next year though... that might be it. Dahlin and Mitts in year 2, another offseason to fix the wings. A deep draft with at least 2 firsts. Those 2 firsts are important if we ever want to be a contender. We are going to need that elc talent. 

I am 100% against pissing away assets for 3 more years of Jeff Carter. It is a mistake and short sighted just like when we did it in 2015. The argument of "well WHAT IF WE screw UP THE DRAFT!" is weak as well. What if we draft Boeser, Pastrnak, Kuznetsov, Point, Fabbro, Bellows, Mantha, Theodore etc... I would rather give my drafting team a chance then to toss it out the window to fix 1 minor problem this season. 

Edited by LGR4GM

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On the flip side, 2023 would be a great time for some exciting young talent on an ELC to enter the team. Dahlin and Mittelstadt on (certainly and possibly, respectively) big contracts, Reinhart and Skinner having raises, etc. 

It's also worth noting that if you're willing to trade Guhle and a 1st, there's likely a better trade out there than Carter. And I realize getting rid of Okposo has significant value, but I think the sweeteners have to be a lot better than your proposal to get LA to bite. 

No other team will trade for KO, simply because the Sabres are not interested in trading him.

I am convinced that they still believe that he is a big part of the veteran leadership of this team and that he'll contribute in other ways again soon.  He still seems to be recovering from what happened last season.

24 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No other team will trade for KO, simply because the Sabres are not interested in trading him.

I am convinced that they still believe that he is a big part of the veteran leadership of this team and that he'll contribute in other ways again soon.  He still seems to be recovering from what happened last season.

Think he has what, under 10 points on the year? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.