Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

6 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

IMHO, that's way too much to give up. History has shown us what happens when you deplete your defensive depth (06 season playoffs), McCabe being out has been really bad for us too. 

they wouldn't take KO either, not a chance

I agree that they wouldn't take KO.  But I would make that trade if I were JB.  There's a very good possibility that zero good NHL players emerge out of Guhle, Nylander and the 2 first-rounders.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that they wouldn't take KO.  But I would make that trade if I were JB.  There's a very good possibility that zero good NHL players emerge out of Guhle, Nylander and the 2 first-rounders.

Yeah. Selling off a lot of prospects is a good way to either win a trade going away or be remembered in infamy years later after you got fired as GM. There is a wiiide range of outcomes on a deal like that.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, nfreeman said:

This year’s draft is pretty deep, I would rather give Botts and His Scouting Staff the benefit of the doubt that they will hit on those picks 

Actually there's a 50% chance each of those first round picks become an nhl player. 

There's still a good chance guhle or nylander make it. 

We're not at the point to trade away multiple high end assets for older players on the edge of their prime. We should use those assets. 

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This year’s draft is pretty deep, I would rather give Botts and His Scouting Staff the benefit of the doubt that they will hit on those picks 

After what I've seen, I'm willing to let them try. We'll need those young players on elcs

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually there's a 50% chance each of those first round picks become an nhl player. 

There's still a good chance guhle or nylander make it. 

We're not at the point to trade away multiple high end assets for older players on the edge of their prime. We should use those assets.  

OK, but I said a "good NHL player."  The chance of that is much less than 50%.

And Tarasenko is not "an older player on the edge of his prime."  As I posted upthread, he's 26 and has 4 years on his contract after this one.

My willingness to trade those young assets is due to the huge upgrade the Sabres would be getting from KO to VT.  The price is different if they don't take KO.

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK, but I said a "good NHL player."  The chance of that is much less than 50%.

And Tarasenko is not "an older player on the edge of his prime."  As I posted upthread, he's 26 and has 4 years on his contract after this one.

My willingness to trade those young assets is due to the huge upgrade the Sabres would be getting from KO to VT.  The price is different if they don't take KO.

He's 27 not 26. And I'm willing to gamble on cheaper players than tarensenko. I'll keep those picks and see what comes. 

Also, Reinhart currently has more points than tarensenko. And only 1 less goal. Hard pass. 

A "very good" possibility?! I strongly disagree with your assesment of the odds. And last I heard, Guhle and Nylander were doing fine in Rochester.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, nfreeman said:

I agree.

If we continue to define “good” as “better than Sam Reinhart.”

More and more I'm convinced that *IF* Nylander becomes an NHLer, his ceiling is about Joel Armia.  I'm not stressing one bit over the idea of trading Alex Nylander.

And the reports regarding Guhle's play haven't been terribly optimistic either.  He's gonna need a Brian Campbell type transformation.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

More and more I'm convinced that *IF* Nylander becomes an NHLer, his ceiling is about Joel Armia.  I'm not stressing one bit over the idea of trading Alex Nylander.

And the reports regarding Guhle's play haven't been terribly optimistic either.  He's gonna need a Brian Campbell type transformation.

Eh I probably agree on Alex but Guhle needs time. McCabe was a tire fire a good portion of his time in Rochester. Only briefly at the end did he resemble a competent defenseman. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Eh I probably agree on Alex but Guhle needs time. McCabe was a tire fire a good portion of his time in Rochester. Only briefly at the end did he resemble a competent defenseman. 

You may be right about Guhle but with the depth we have I'm not going to advocate sitting on him if we can use him as a chip to improve an area of need.

As long as we are picking the Blues carcass, what about Schenn ? 

27 years old.  Good sized and gritty.   Good 2C for 25G and 60P.    Only issue is $5.1M cap hit for 2 years.  Then Mittsy should be ready for  2C.  If he fits in maybe he re-signs for less in 3C role. 

Solid team guy. 

Edited by Pimlach

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

As long as we are picking the Blues carcass, what about Schenn ? 

27 years old.  Good sized and gritty.   Good 2C for 25G and 60P.    Only issue is $5.1M cap hit for 2 years.  Then Mittsy should be ready for  2C.  If he fits in maybe he re-signs for less in 3C role. 

Solid team guy. 

Why would they trade him rather than build around him?  If somehow they want to move him, why would they do it for anything less than Mittlestat, Reinhart or Risto?

30 minutes ago, inkman said:

Why would they trade him rather than build around him?  If somehow they want to move him, why would they do it for anything less than Mittlestat, Reinhart or Risto?

I don't think we're at the days anymore where a team is going to build around a 27 year old center, especially one that isn't a first liner.  That's a complementary piece, not a building block.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/16/2018 at 7:00 AM, thewookie1 said:

Marcus Johansson, any interest if we can use Sobotka or Berglund in some way to get him. (Granted Berglund may not be a problem soon anyway)

II really like this idea.  He’s only 28 has an expiring contract.  Is having a mediocre season on an untalented Devils team, but is very talented player who could easily step into the 2nd line center role for this season.  The Devils have plenty of cap space to take a contract back to getting more assets in the deal.  

He’s fast, a good playmaker and doesn’t mind giving a check or two.  I’d give them Sobatka, our 2nd in 2021 (or A 3rd in 2020) and Smith for Johansson.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

II really like this idea.  He’s only 28 has an expiring contract.  Is having a mediocre season on an untalented Devils team, but is very talented player who could easily step into the 2nd line center role for this season.  The Devils have plenty of cap space to take a contract back to getting more assets in the deal.  

He’s fast, a good playmaker and doesn’t mind giving a check or two.  I’d give them Sobatka, our 2nd in 2021 (or A 3rd in 2020) and Smith for Johansson.

Why would they want Sabotka? A bad player on a worse contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.