Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Not even a little bit. ROR is closer to Bergeron than he is to Reinhart by a fair amount. Every ounce of underlying stats shows that his production stands to increase as the team gets more talented around him, and even WITH that fact he put up 61 points in the most bizarrely tough usage situation I've ever seen a forward go through. He had more defensive zone starts per game than any player since the stat has been tracked, won more faceoffs than any player in the history of the league, and is ferociously smart and tenacious defensively, while also being our second best offensive player by a large margin. Reinhart's chores on the ice were cake compared to ROR and he still barely crept up to 50 points on the last day of the season. 

People get on ROR's contract while forgetting the cap raising. Matthews is about to get 12 million. Kane just got essentially ROR's deal. Johansen is worse than ROR and signed a year ago for 8 mil a year. That contract is perfect now and is going to be a steal in a year. He's got 5 years left, and his game doesn't rely on speed and physicality, it relies on his brain, which means there's a great chance that he's the exact same player 5 years from now when it ends. If we get our head out of our ass and play him as any great coach would, like the 2nd best offensive piece on an offensively starved team, with a dash of Quenneville-creativity to also make use of his defensive abilities, or like Bergeron with a stacked top line, he could easily be a 70 point Selke winner. He is coaching tweaks from winning the Selke. Reinhart is a disaster at center, and a nice cerebral wing who is coming off of a 50 point career-high season. 

ROR has more value and it isn't really close. 5 years of guaranteed elite two way play and very good offense from the most important position on the ice has more value than potential, especially low-ceiling potential from a 22 year old in the case of Reinhart. 

Methinks you greatly overrate O'Reilly's defensive game.  He misses far too many defensive zone assignments for my liking and sometimes lags on the back check (I would concede the guy has his moments, but I thought he was a wreck defensively at the beginning of last season).  I think you are seeing the more idealized version of him versus what he actually does.

Methinks you greatly overrate O'Reilly's defensive game.  He misses far too many defensive zone assignments for my liking and sometimes lags on the back check (I would concede the guy has his moments, but I thought he was a wreck defensively at the beginning of last season).  I think you are seeing the more idealized version of him versus what he actually does.

Perhaps. There's no really good way to check this outside of rewatching games specifically focused on ROR's defense and then watching loads of other players as well to get a barometer on what good defensive play from center is (because otherwise we can endlessly cycle through individual examples of ROR not skating (from you) followed by famous GIFs of Kopitar doing the same (from me) and that's hardly productive)

So I'll stand by my general viewpoint that 

1.) NHL players are idealized by all sides, and what is "good defensive play" especially, from both forwards and D, entails a lot more mistakes than is conventionally realized 

2.) ROR is phenomenal defensively compared to his peers, based on my raw memory, which I trust by default over someone else's when discussing hard-to-pin issues like this, as I would expect them to do as well. 

Tangentially related, I believe that if we trade ROR we HAVE to trade Risto too. 

Me thinks you underrate him. Just my opinion.

From Friedman Interview

“I do, I think there’s a possibility there,” agreed Friedman. “The one thing I have heard is that I think the Canucks were aggressive with what they were prepared to offer for Hanifin, but I don’t think they were prepared to offer the same thing for O’Reilly. And I’m assuming that means the seventh overall pick. I know there have been rumblings out there they offered the seventh overall pick for O’Reilly. From what I can gather, that is not true – that they did not offer it for him.

“But I do think there’s a chance. I really do.

So if Edmonton offered Lucic and Klefbom for Okposo, Nylander and McCabe do you turn it down?

Yes, I turn it down, but I'd have to consider it...though my consideration would have nothing to do with Lucic. Klefbom is such a monumental upgrade over McCabe that I'd consider swapping a putrid contract for a cataclysmic waste of money.

Perhaps. There's no really good way to check this outside of rewatching games specifically focused on ROR's defense and then watching loads of other players as well to get a barometer on what good defensive play from center is (because otherwise we can endlessly cycle through individual examples of ROR not skating (from you) followed by famous GIFs of Kopitar doing the same (from me) and that's hardly productive)

So I'll stand by my general viewpoint that 

1.) NHL players are idealized by all sides, and what is "good defensive play" especially, from both forwards and D, entails a lot more mistakes than is conventionally realized 

2.) ROR is phenomenal defensively compared to his peers, based on my raw memory, which I trust by default over someone else's when discussing hard-to-pin issues like this, as I would expect them to do as well. 

Tangentially related, I believe that if we trade ROR we HAVE to trade Risto too. 

Sometimes I wonder if we're the same person. I would add a conditional: If we trade ROR for a defenseman we have to trade Risto for a forward.

To your main point, I would simply add that humans have a negativity bias. We remember the negative. So generally speaking, we're going to remember O'Reilly's defensive mistakes. Furthermore, a blown coverage that results in a goal against is a hell of a lot more memorable than an effective stick check in a passing lane to clear the zone.

From Friedman Interview

“I do, I think there’s a possibility there,” agreed Friedman. “The one thing I have heard is that I think the Canucks were aggressive with what they were prepared to offer for Hanifin, but I don’t think they were prepared to offer the same thing for O’Reilly. And I’m assuming that means the seventh overall pick. I know there have been rumblings out there they offered the seventh overall pick for O’Reilly. From what I can gather, that is not true – that they did not offer it for him.

“But I do think there’s a chance. I really do.

Given where the Canucks are, I wouldn't blame them for wanting a 21-year-old more than a 27-year-old.

It's not just about value, it's also about fit.

Edited by dudacek

Yes, I turn it down, but I'd have to consider it...though my consideration would have nothing to do with Lucic. Klefbom is such a monumental upgrade over McCabe that I'd consider swapping a putrid contract for a cataclysmic waste of money.

Sometimes I wonder if we're the same person. I would add a conditional: If we trade ROR for a defenseman we have to trade Risto for a forward.

To your main point, I would simply add that humans have a negativity bias. We remember the negative. So generally speaking, we're going to remember O'Reilly's defensive mistakes. Furthermore, a blown coverage that results in a goal against is a hell of a lot more memorable than an effective stick check in a passing lane to clear the zone.

But, yet, nobody seems to ever remember Captain Clutch missing an open net from a sharp angle in the 1st period of game 7. Could've completely made a 3rd period delay of game call moot.

But, yet, nobody seems to ever remember Captain Clutch missing an open net from a sharp angle in the 1st period of game 7. Could've completely made a 3rd period delay of game call moot.

That loss really hurt. I’m not sorry for not rewatching it.

Well yeah but fill me in here now :lol:

I'm guessing ECF Hurricanes?

Yes, Ward was out of the net & off a turnover Drury had the puck w/ an open net from a bad angle & sent the puck through the crease into the far corner rather than into the open net.

Was about 5 minutes before the clown w/ the Krusty hairdo (Komisarek) pinballed the 1st goal behind Miller.

:angry:

If we were to actually do a massive panel survey, I'd imagine we would find that negative plays that result in goals against are infinitely more memorable than missing an open net in the first period.

It also doesn't hurt to score a series-clinching goal for a president's trophy team in the subsequent season :lol:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

If we were to actually do a massive panel survey, I'd imagine we would find that negative plays that result in goals against are infinitely more memorable than missing an open net in the first period.

It also doesn't hurt to score a series-clinching goal for a president's trophy team in the subsequent season :lol:

When the guy is "Captain Clutch" he has to bury that mother ####### shot. Having an 8 y.o. bawling his eyes out heading to bed that night was ####### gut wrenching.

Jochen nearly saved his bacon. :censored: :censored: :censored:

And, forgot he had the series clincher against the Rags. His goal as regulation was ticking down, that Max won in OT is etched in memory like it happened yesterday. ;)

When the guy is "Captain Clutch" he has to bury that mother ####### shot. Having an 8 y.o. bawling his eyes out heading to bed that night was ####### gut wrenching.

Jochen nearly saved his bacon. :censored: :censored: :censored:

And, forgot he had the series clincher against the Rags. His goal as regulation was ticking down, that Max won in OT is etched in memory like it happened yesterday. ;)

The series was over as soon as he tied it. The Max goal was a formality.

That's the best comeback I have. Take it or leave it :lol:

Apparently,

The series was over as soon as he tied it. The Max goal was a formality.

That's the best comeback I have. Take it or leave it :lol:

Sad thing is, figured you were saying Drury got the winner that next, anticlimatic game. Turns out, that was Hecht again. (Maybe HE should've been hearalded for being clutch. ;) )

I am an idiot.

Lesson: When the Wiki preview page on a Google page of search results (for a search re Noah Hanifin) prominently lists Noah Hanifin's siblings, but a similar search results page (for Jack Eichel) does NOT Jack Eichel's siblings, that does not mean Eichel doesn't have a sibling.

Oh lord smell. That’s what you went on? Sabrespace deserves more...... Edited by Derrico

Apparently,

Sad thing is, figured you were saying Drury got the winner that next, anticlimatic game. Turns out, that was Hecht again. (Maybe HE should've been hearalded for being clutch. ;) )

I’d say the biggest goals of ‘06 were:

Briere v Philadelphia, Round 1, Game 1, OT.

Drury v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 1, OT.

Dumont v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 3, OT.

Pominville v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 5, SH in OT.

Briere v Carolina, Round 3, Game 6, OT. (Should have been the biggest on this list, had the D not gone to shite)

In ‘07:

Drury v Rags, Round 2, Game 5, 3rd.

Afinogenov v Rags, Round 2, Game 5, OT

Briere 2, Drury 2, a few guys with 1. To my memory Briere had been coming up just as clutch for the Sabres as Drury. Who knows, Hecht may even slide in at 3rd for that time period after those 2, he had the gorgeous pass to Briere to set up his winner in Game 1 v Philly, and the aforementioned clincher in Game 6 vs the Rags.

Edited by Thorny

Well this might change the trade landscape a bit.  It's very weird story to say the least, especially since Hoffman "150%" denies it, but it seems Karlsson and his wife don't believe him.  Someone is going to have to be moved before camp opens. 

Mike Hoffman's Fiancee Accused of Online Harassment of Erik Karlsson's Wife

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780899-mike-hoffmans-fiancee-accused-of-online-harassment-of-erik-karlssons-wife?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial 

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

...or the GWG in OT in the best Sabres game of all time.

I’d say the biggest goals of ‘06 were:

Briere v Philadelphia, Round 1, Game 1, OT.

Drury v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 1, OT.

Dumont v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 3, OT.

Pominville v Ottawa, Round 2, Game 5, SH in OT.

Briere v Carolina, Round 3, Game 6, OT. (Should have been the biggest on this list, had the D not gone to shite)

In ‘07:

Drury v Rags, Round 2, Game 5, 3rd.

Afinogenov v Rags, Round 2, Game 5, OT

Briere 2, Drury 2, a few guys with 1. To my memory Briere had been coming up just as clutch for the Sabres as Drury. Who knows, Hecht may even slide in at 3rd for that time period after those 2, he had the gorgeous pass to Briere to set up his winner in Game 1 v Philly, and the aforementioned clincher in Game 6 vs the Rags.

Briere's goal was in 2OT IIRC.

And Briere was as clutch as Drury.

Thanks again, OSP and LQ.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.