Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I would flip Hanifin for a forward...

He is a lefty which doesn't help us but that's fine. I am sure Edmonton has a winger they are willing to trade. Or you can flip another LHD for a forward. McCabe for example. 

Who else needs a center? And no I don't wanna talk Montreal.

He is a lefty which doesn't help us but that's fine. I am sure Edmonton has a winger they are willing to trade. Or you can flip another LHD for a forward. McCabe for example. 

Who else needs a center? And no I don't wanna talk Montreal.

The Islanders might.  :devil:

The only deal I'm interested is a sign and trade JT for ROR.  For those willing to trade ROR, show me how your going to replace him in our lineup.  Otherwise all trades involving ROR a major setback for the Sabres.

It's actually quite easy from what I have read, trade RoR for a #2 D-man, trade Risto for RoR's replacement...done! *sarcasm font needed*

The only deal I'm interested is a sign and trade JT for ROR.  For those willing to trade ROR, show me how your going to replace him in our lineup.  Otherwise all trades involving ROR a major setback for the Sabres.

This is the other side of the ROR coin. Who takes those minutes? Eichel doing it might work but then Mittelstadt has to take Jack's minutes. That puts larsson as your #3 center again this year and gives us another year of no depth scoring. 

To be honest, if a GM really wants "culture change," this is the way that makes the most sense.

Some days I'm convinced we need a culture change. Other days I look at Toronto with Kadri, and Kessel in general, or Neal now, and say culture is garbage and winning solves everything

Florida or Montreal the worst team? Montreal, right?

Florida tied for the most points a team has ever gotten while missing the playoffs, 96. Imagine if they hadn't given up Smith, Marchessault, and a 1st to protect...Alex Petrovic. 

Florida is what I meant.  They would have to give up much of their talent I would think.  Sure they came on strong in the last part of the season last year, but what do they have to move to get Patches?

I might take some heat for this, and no way do I want Jeff to be the major part in a ROR deal, but Jeff Skinner would be Buffalo's best winger since Vanek left

I don't want Skinner on the Sabres.  My recollection of Skinner is that he is injured... a lot and has a history of concussion.

Florida is what I meant.  They would have to give up much of their talent I would think.  Sure they came on strong in the last part of the season last year, but what do they have to move to get Patches?

I don't want Skinner on the Sabres.  My recollection of Skinner is that he is injured... a lot and has a history of concussion.

This was true, but he actually has 5 straight seasons of over 70 games, and 4 straight of over 77. Hopefully for his sake that injury run early on is history. 

This was true, but he actually has 5 straight seasons of over 70 games, and 4 straight of over 77. Hopefully for his sake that injury run early on is history. 

Cool.  So I am living more in the past...  thanks for the updated information. 

ROR cannot be traded until Casey is ready to slot into the 2nd line C position. He's going to need sheltered zone starts for at least a year. That mixed with Dahlin needing to be sheltered and having a C that is a faceoff guru that can get him the puck means that for the future of this franchise ROR cannot be traded right now. He by his nature makes the development of 2 of our hopeful core pieces much better.

In 2 years, that may be a different story.

I wouldn't be a-tall surprised if ROR is pushing for a trade.  Playing for the Sabres these past 3 years has likely been a chore, with no improvement, no sign of the playoffs, let alone contender status, no excitement in the arena, no goaltending and no stability (and perhaps no faith in his coach).  Meanwhile, his prime years are being squandered.

I also wouldn't be surprised if JBott pulls the trigger on a trade.  He wants more speed, more leadership and a general shakeup.  An ROR trade could deliver all 3 of those elements.  And JBott might have an old-school-GM attitude about players who make trade requests -- i.e. once a player does so, the GM needs to get rid of him.

I agree with WC though that winning heals most wounds -- although it would be nice if ROR were one of the drivers on the winning train, not one of the passengers.  So if Dahlin, a new goalie and a lot of bottom-6 turnover give rise to a lot more winning -- which could happen -- the idea of trading ROR could easily disappear.

Craig Custance mentions 20 players who could be on the move

Karlsson, OEL, Kessel And Pacioretty are the Top 4, along with some others

5-7. Jeff Skinner, Noah Hanifin and Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes

Someone is going to get moved in Carolina. Maybe two players. It could be one of these three. Another source was asked who he thought would go and he mentioned Elias Lindholm and Victor Rask. The only consensus out there is that Carolina is doing SOMETHING. New owner Tom Dundon won’t have it any other way.

“I’d be surprised if (the Hurricanes) don’t make at least a couple deals before the draft,” said an Eastern Conference executive.

The perception is that Ron Francis was moved out because of inaction. If that’s the case, the new management group has very clear marching orders heading into the draft. There’s going to be some action, it’s only a matter of who gets moved out.

8. Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo Sabres – The Sabres are getting calls on O’Reilly and that’s nothing new. His frustration after another losing season certainly caught the attention of executives outside of Buffalo.

“He sounded defeated,” said a Western Conference executive. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s moved.”

He’s going to generate interest. He has Hockey Canada pedigree. Players like playing with him. He’s a strong two-way centerman.

The Sabres certainly don’t want to rush Casey Mittelstadt, so keeping O’Reilly around gives protection to the young centers in the lineup and pushes them down the depth chart a bit. That means it’s not automatic that he’s moved.

“It would have to be the right deal,” said one source.

9. Rasmus Ristolainen, Sabres – He’s another player the Sabres are getting calls on and for good reason. He’s a 23-year-old right-shot defenseman who can play a ton. He’s valuable. The core of the Sabres moving forward is going to be Jack Eichel, Mittelstadt and Rasmus Dahlin, so that in theory makes Ristolainen expendable.

The Sabres are listening, only because they have to considering their place in the standings. There’s an open mind right now in the Buffalo front office. But the reality is the defense needs bolstering and Buffalo has no interest in moving Ristolainen if it’s not getting a comparable player back in return.

11-12. Nino Niederreiter and Matt Dumba, Minnesota Wild

The Wild are another team of interest this summer. They have a new GM, a mandate to make changes to the roster and players that interest opposing teams looking for upgrades. Any one of Niederreiter, Dumba, Jonas Brodin or Charlie Coyle could be on the move depending on the return.

Minnesota’s lack of right shot forwards could mean that Coyle sticks around, even coming off a disappointing season in which his goal total dropped for the second consecutive season. But he’s being shopped.

On defense, Dumba is the high-risk, high-reward player for teams looking to add a defenseman. Brodin is steady, signed to one of those $4 million AAV long-term defenseman contracts. Nothing wrong there. Dumba needs a new deal and it’s not going to be small.

“They have to be careful, too,” said one NHL executive of the Wild. “Their back end is top heavy. Their five and six defensemen aren’t good and you saw it in the playoffs. They don’t have D coming. I thought Dumba took a step forward last season but Brodin is the safe play

And how much would that cost?

We'd need to overpay in the ROR deal to get CAR to take on his entire contract... which would free up money for Carlson. 

That said, I'm not advocating for a ROR trade... I think he's part of the solution moving forward... but.. if a deal needs to made then he would likely be part of a larger deal so they can move his entire contract off the books.

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.